tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

Fruita/grand junction from Moab

Going to be in Moab for four days at the beginning of May, and was thinking of making a run to Fruita and/or Grand Junction for a day....is it worth it or doable?

Want to ride Joe's Ridge and/or Ribbon trail while out in the Moab area as I don't get out this way very often.

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -tep
    oldmanjusthavingfunontwowheelsurbandirtandroad

mtbr member
    Personally if I were to do that it would be for horsetheif or some version of the loops including holy cross. You'll get better views and slickrock than the Ribbon in Moab. Joe's is pretty neat I guess, but it's over quick.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tep View Post
    Going to be in Moab for four days at the beginning of May, and was thinking of making a run to Fruita and/or Grand Junction for a day....is it worth it or doable?

Thanks,
    -tep
    As long as you don't mind running 100 miles each way, it is doable.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    The Ribbon is above Lunch Loops, not in Moab. Unless Trail Mix added another trail when I wasn't looking :-)

Moab to Fruita is 70 miles. Lunch Loops is about a dozen miles farther. Lots of folks do it for the day when time constrained. Few riders last more than 5 hours on the trails anyway. What are you doing to do the rest of the time? You can drive to and from Moab with great scenery and hangout in Fruita and drink beer at Copper Club and great pizza at Hot Tomato after your ride. Plenty of time for all of it.

My preference for going to or from Fruita is SR 128 along the Colorado River. A bit slower but way too scenic to miss!
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Personally if I were to do that it would be for horsetheif or some version of the loops including holy cross. You'll get better views and slickrock than the Ribbon in Moab. Joe's is pretty neat I guess, but it's over quick.
    I'm with Mr Nard on this one. Hot Tomato post ride is a requirement.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tep View Post

Want to ride Joe's Ridge and/or Ribbon trail while out in the Moab area as I don't get out this way very often.

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -tep
    Totally doable. I live in GJ and do the opposite trip plenty. Plan for 1hr 30min driving time each way depending which trail system you hit (Kokopelli is closer at the Loma exit).

I agree with above... both trails you mention above are relatively short, so plan to add in others to make a decent loop/day. For Example if you want to ride 18rd (Joe's & MoJoe's) you'll likely add in Prime Cut to climb up, also plan to ride PBR, Kessel's Run & maybe Zippity Do Da if you still have legs. If you get tired of climbing Prime Cut, head up the road or use Zip Off and Western Zippity to hit Zippity Do Da.

For the Ribbon, you'll likely shuttle (depends on your conditioning). If so, add in Gunny Loop and then you can hit other stuff on your way back into the main system (or head down Prenup to do Holy Cross as mentioned above). Personally I prefer Gunny.

http://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-west...ns-555284.html

Maps
    Trail Maps - COPMOBA

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Moab to Fruita is 70 miles.
    Unless you are flying, Moab to Fruita is 100 miles via US-191 or 90 miles via UT-128.

I've driven that stretch, oh, about 500 times. I usually go on 128 even though it takes a little longer, but if there are any possibilities of snow/ice, don't go on 128.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    The Ribbon trail is fun but to be honest not sure I would make it a destination ride in Fruita/GJ. Do Zippity over Joe's as it is more epic and you gotta hit it at least once because you will kick yourself if you don't do it. Joe's is a short ride but it is good to test your skills on to assess if Zippity is right or not for you.

The Kokepelli system I would probably recommend to you as you can really do a long day of riding and the riding miles and scenery combination would really be worth it.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Unless you are flying, Moab to Fruita is 100 miles via US-191 or 90 miles via UT-128.
    Those are the correct distances. I think there used to be a billboard near Fruita that said it was 70 miles to Moab. Maybe that's the source of the mistaken mileage.

mtbr member
    Follow the speed limits on Beehive (UT) 191 or 128. The Utah State Patrol is very active about giving out tickets nears Moab.