Frog Hollow 25Hour- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Frog Hollow 25Hour

I see that the Frog Hollow 25h race is back this year. I wasn't really interested last year, but after the race I heard some ramdom grumblings about people boycotting the race because of some political bs with the creation of the race that ticked off the BLM.
    Does anyone have the skinny on this? All I've heard is 2nd and 3rd hand bits and pieces.
    Please understand that I am not making any accusations here. I'm just curious. I'd hate to see events like this in the area go unsupported because of a few people's comments.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Not true.

The Frog hollow race is organized and promoted by individuals that work for/with the BLM, and the event has the support of all needed agencies. I don't know what rumors you are talking about but the Frog hollow races are 100% legal and and 100% worth doing. See you there.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This is not a comment on right/wrong, but the rumors were probably about how the JEM trail was altered for the race - specifically the rocky turn just past the cattle fence near the top. It used to be pretty tech, but its been buffed out now. Odd thing was the racers were required to walk that section anyway? This is all 2nd and 3rd hand BS. For all I know the change had nothing to do with the race ... but ... Actually, the "fix" to the section of the JEM I have seen first hand. I can't say I totally miss the old version, due to lack of skill, it was pretty sketchy with some consequence for failing to make the turn, but in general, I think trail "improvements" like that are a big minus to the sport - if we dumb everything down then why go mtn. biking anyway? See you on the Jordan River Parkway!

I also think the race hammered the trail too in the short term, but it seemed fine this year. The cows do more damage each year anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I also miss the techy switchback.

It was "improved" for the race which is kind of a shame. However that switchback was rideable by maybe 10% of mountain bikers, and that 10 percent don't spend alot of time on JEM riding thier 40 lb DH rigs so I can understand the change. Its not in the same catagory as removing all of the rocks in preperation for paving the SLC shoreline.

PM me

mtbr member
    Is this race very popular? Was thinking of doing it solo, but it seems pretty sparse as far as entrants, from looking at last year's results.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

Your Best Friend
    My .02 cents.

I did it last year on a four man team so this is my bit of experience.

1. The camping blows, both figureatively and literally. I guess it is what you make of it but without trailers we were having a hard time keeping any tents in place. The camping isn't in a designated area so it isn't cleared and you have to bring a drum or other object to make a fire in, and you will need one because it is late in the year and freezing. The only thing provided for you is a few port-a-potties.

2. The trail is great and I can't see how it would get overused with so few people on it. Sure it is higher use than normal but I don't think I saw more than five people in my 6 laps.
    The first 5ish miles are on dirt road, after that the trail uses the JEM and Hurricane Rim trails, very fun and fast. The best times were a few minutes short of an hour for around 13 miles.

3. Awards sucked. The best prize went for the best costume, not the overall winners. What was that?

4. I'll do it again, for sure. Take some good friends for support or teammates and you'll have a blast. This would be a great race and course for a first time solo effort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    Is this race very popular? Was thinking of doing it solo, but it seems pretty sparse as far as entrants, from looking at last year's results.
    Last year was the first year, I would expect it to grow in popularity over time. Look at it this way, you have a better shot at the podium it there is only 5 other solo dudes.

Bottom of the page for results.
    http://gropromotions.com/GROPROMOTIONS/RESULTS.html

mtbr member
    Eh. I think I'd rather race a race where people race...ya dig? I like 24 Hour and the vibe and all, but I still like competition. Seems like the organizers don't take it too seriously, which is fine if that's your thing...
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just rode that course last night. I don't race, but it's rippin fast & fun, especially at night . I think it'd make for a very challenging race.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Considering

That ST george is home to 2 24 hour national champions 1 male and 1 female I think there is a good chance you could have a race on your hands. No idea if said champs are planning to race but there is some competition in the area.

PM me

mtbr member
    May 2009
    They'll be there this year....
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    not to thread Jack, but anyone thinking of doing the six hour version in October?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhale
    not to thread Jack, but anyone thinking of doing the six hour version in October?
    I'm in, SSolo

Really I am that slow

my .02

Great 1st year race... light number of racers and light prizes hard to ask for a ton from a 1st year event

i've been to a few other 1st year events and this blew them away....

for the $$$ hard to beat....

I'll be there for both the 6hr and 25 racing solo ss!

as to the trail work that switch back didn't fit in with the rest of the context of the jem trail... ie fairly mellow and flowy.... you want tech i'll take yah around little creek =)
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Planning on the 6hr. SSolo.
    25h if I find a partner

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'll do it with you

as long as you are not worried about winning. I have SS or Gears.

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks, still waiting to hear first from a bud that I asked. He's not scared, just might be a time conflict.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'll be at the 25 hr, SSolo.

mtbr member
    Apparently the "gear assisted" riders are not coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Me, and my gears will be there, but I dont think they'll help!! Maybe I should switch to SS since I don't seem to shift that much anyway

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The Frog Hollow course is pretty level and smooth

I don't think SS is much of a disadvantage on this one. Congrats however to all the SS'ers that rode the Park city point to point with its 15k of climibing. Respect

PM me

Members who have read this thread: 0