Frame Painting in PC or SLC- Mtbr.com
    dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Frame Painting in PC or SLC

Has anyone had their frame painted someplace around SLC or PC?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Down on airport road in Heber City there is a new powdercoater that supposedly is trying to get into the bicycle painting business. You might try calling Rocky Road Outfitters or Edwin Cycles and seeing if they have the person's contact info. I have at least two frames I need painted myself if you want to do the research, maybe we could get a better deal if there are several of us...

Thanks! A

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks! I decided to have a go at this on my own and bought some supplies at Superior auto paint. I have only sanded and primed it so far, but I will be painting it soon. We'll see how it turns out!

The Tyranical Teabagger
    I think you'd want to stay away from Powder Coating...the metal has to get up to a pretty high temp in order to cure ( 350 - 450 )....not sure if a frame can withstand that temp for 15-25 minutes to cure. I think there might be low cure powder coating out there that uses lower temps...read about it a while ago for the auto industry ( plastic parts and such ). I'm basing all of this info on stuff I found out for my own projects with my truck but I'm sure can be applied to doing a frame...would look nice if it can be done though.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrjm
    I think you'd want to stay away from Powder Coating...the metal has to get up to a pretty high temp in order to cure ( 350 - 450 )....
    I'm pretty sure it can be done......
    http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/

The Tyranical Teabagger
    cool....they do nice work
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

Aug 2007

Good job! Oh...it CAN be done allright...

No worries about the powder coating temps. Steel frames should be an easy no-brainer, but even aluminum frames wouldn't be harmed unless it was over 450 degrees or so, and for hours on end. Usually powder coats are only baked for like 20 minutes at about 350 degrees.

When aluminum is originally taken from it's soft, "malleable" (formable/shapeable) state to a "T-6" heat-treated state, it is subjected to temps between 400-700 degrees to heat treat it to that tougher, stronger state...but even this takes at least 8-10 hours to perform...

So again, no worries. Powder coating is awesome! There is also a british company that sells thousands of reproduction frame decals super cheap on Ebay!

Good luck...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not only that but they heat treat particularly aluminum frames. they see temps way in excess of what the powder coater does. For what it's worth...

Members who have read this thread: 0