• 09-07-2008
    dcb
    Frame Painting in PC or SLC
    Has anyone had their frame painted someplace around SLC or PC?
  • 09-08-2008
    dieselcruiserhead
    Down on airport road in Heber City there is a new powdercoater that supposedly is trying to get into the bicycle painting business. You might try calling Rocky Road Outfitters or Edwin Cycles and seeing if they have the person's contact info. I have at least two frames I need painted myself if you want to do the research, maybe we could get a better deal if there are several of us...

Thanks! A
  • 09-12-2008
    dcb
    Thanks! I decided to have a go at this on my own and bought some supplies at Superior auto paint. I have only sanded and primed it so far, but I will be painting it soon. We'll see how it turns out!
  • 09-26-2008
    cyrjm
    I think you'd want to stay away from Powder Coating...the metal has to get up to a pretty high temp in order to cure ( 350 - 450 )....not sure if a frame can withstand that temp for 15-25 minutes to cure. I think there might be low cure powder coating out there that uses lower temps...read about it a while ago for the auto industry ( plastic parts and such ). I'm basing all of this info on stuff I found out for my own projects with my truck but I'm sure can be applied to doing a frame...would look nice if it can be done though.
  • 09-27-2008
    mr. welcorn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrjm
    I think you'd want to stay away from Powder Coating...the metal has to get up to a pretty high temp in order to cure ( 350 - 450 )....

I'm pretty sure it can be done......
    http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/
  • 09-27-2008
    cyrjm
    cool....they do nice work
  • 09-29-2008
    bike-wrench
    Oh...it CAN be done allright...
    No worries about the powder coating temps. Steel frames should be an easy no-brainer, but even aluminum frames wouldn't be harmed unless it was over 450 degrees or so, and for hours on end. Usually powder coats are only baked for like 20 minutes at about 350 degrees.

When aluminum is originally taken from it's soft, "malleable" (formable/shapeable) state to a "T-6" heat-treated state, it is subjected to temps between 400-700 degrees to heat treat it to that tougher, stronger state...but even this takes at least 8-10 hours to perform...

So again, no worries. Powder coating is awesome! There is also a british company that sells thousands of reproduction frame decals super cheap on Ebay!

Good luck...
  • 09-29-2008
    dieselcruiserhead
    Not only that but they heat treat particularly aluminum frames. they see temps way in excess of what the powder coater does. For what it's worth...