FR Trail Riders Meeting - The NAME US thread- Mtbr.com
    JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

FR Trail Riders Meeting - The NAME US thread

Great to meet everybody last night, it sounds like we could eventually get a pretty big group together and get some trails built.

Soooo....

As discussed, we need a name. My thoughts:

NUFTA - North Utah Freeride Trails Association
    WAFTA - Wasatch Area Freeride Trails Association

My two cents...

JMH

ride more.
    Nov 2004

I like WAFTA.

I will post what I posted on the utahmountainbiking.com board as well.

doc

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Update on the meeting last night

Several things to update -

First off, thanks to all those who came out to show some support and cultivate ideas for the future of freeriding in the Wasatch. We had a very productive meeting that included getting to know one another, discussing how to go about this, and how to sustain the interest that is currently being shown.

We created a list of names, phone numbers, email addresses, and screen names for those in attendance. This list will serve as the "mailing list" to keep everyone up to date on what is happening. If you are interested in being included on this list, send me a PM with the aforementioned information.

At the end of the meeting, we decided that we will take a few days to kick around our thoughts about a club name and mission statement. This is intended to be permanent. We also discussed contacting IMBA and the Utah IMBA rep to generate some support and guidance from IMBA. Additionally, we talked about areas of potential trails and how to go about lobbying the powers that be (the man) to allow us to build those trails. Right now, the more support and members we have, the better. There is definitely power in numbers, especially when those numbers include responsible members of society who pay taxes.

Support is needed. Sign up on the list. We will be contacting everyone on the list for ideas and updates. In addition, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, send them over. Things should be rolling in the next few weeks. After that, it will take some collective effort of phone calls, support, and patience as we begin this process. Hopefully we can put SLC on the map for being a DH/FR friendly community.

I also did some research into becoming an IMBA affiliated club. Cost is $30 per year for clubs of less than 100 members and $60 per year for clubs with 100 or more members. That fee brings with it such benefits as

Grants
    Insurance
    Advocacy help
    etc.

As soon as we get a name and officially get started, we can become an affiliated club.

doc

mtbr member

Meeting Notes

Here's a write-up of the notes that I took:

1- It was proposed that we come up with an organization name. Something more specific to the northern Utah area (i.e. Wasatch) was deemed most appropriate, and it was also proposed it be limited to the founding members since they took the effort to show up and become involved. No final determination on that was made.

2- Discussion around bike shop involvement was made with a determination that it may be something we approach later on, but we should establish ourselves and stand on our own first.

3- An idea for bringing more credibility to the organization would be to have some “IMBA Certified Trailbuilders” as part of the group.

4- It was also proposed that we somehow become insured, either tying into an IMBA affiliation or another club. References to contacting the local IMBA representative were also discussed to see what work has been done already (if any) and how we could assist those efforts.

5- There were a number of people who had contacts with either land managers or trail coordinators (such as Forest Service, BLM, Snyderville Basin). It was suggested that we try to contact them to see if they would be willing to either let us build in their area, or if we could use examples of what was built, so we could come up with a portfolio of examples we could use to approach new resources. This may possibly include a website we could create as a reference.

6- Another possibility to showing some credibility to the group would be to supply the background information on the organization members (such as their field of expertise, experience with trail building, etc).

7- Discussion about some first projects also occurred. Some of these were to find out if more trails were being built in “Bob’s Basin”, a ski resort, or other suitable area. Another suggestion was to perhaps take on improvement of an existing trail, such as armoring corners to prevent erosion, re-routing, or otherwise fixing some original trail building mistakes. The goal would be to build the experience of the team, provide some information for the portfolio, and possibly even build some alternate lines (with ride-around options or even appropriate signage and trail entrance ‘choke’ points).

8- There was some discussion about recruiting additional help and membership, club organization, dues for administration, etc. with no determination or decisions being made.

9- Another idea to lend credibility to the commitment of the organization was to somehow involve kids. Ideas such as sponsoring a ‘take a kid riding’ day was made, or even to sponsor an educational opportunity at the Park City skills park.

I've got the e-mail list organized as well and will be sending that list out shortly.

Thanks again to everybody who showed up and those that are willing to help out. It's gonna be some work, but hopefully it will pay off in the long run! Cheers!

mtbr member

Names?

I like WAFTA as well, it sounds like some sort of government free trade agreement! I think the naming should be open to all who join up even though they weren't part of the original meeting. So come on folks, get creative! If you weren't there or haven't submitted your contact details, dream up some names but PM me with your goods.

I had a couple that might work:

NUTS - Northern Utah Trail Society (something that might be heard: "man, those NUTS build killer stuff" or "those guys are NUTS")
    NUFO - Northern Utah Freeride Organization (or just UFO)
    WFO - Wasatch Freeride Organization
    WATS - Wasatch All-mountain Trail Society

I guess the dilema is to come up with something clever (and not too raunchy) that would be presentable to the general public - a name that people, businesses, and government would want to be associated with.

Also, how does everybody feel about setting up a google or yahoo group to use for communications? I think it would be a good way to keep people informed & involved, and I'm willing to do it, but I think our name has to be decided first. Plus, it will prevent us from cross posting here and on utahmountainbiking.com!

On another note, we spoke with a person from Suncrest (the area we live at in Draper) about trails and development. He said that Draper is responsible for trails in Suncrest, but he also said that he would be happy to support an organization dedicated to trail maintenance & development, even going so far as to say that he would attend city meetings for us if he was aware of our goals and provided information on what we were commiting to do. Needless to say it was very encouraging.

So I propose a deadline for names to be submitted by 5pm local time on Monday, 29 January, then people submit their vote by 5pm Tuesday, then off we go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProf
    I

I guess the dilema is to come up with something clever (and not too raunchy) that would be presentable to the general public - a name that people, businesses, and government would want to be associated with.

How about something less geographical.. instead of Northern Utah, or Wasatch?
    What if riders in the other parts of the state end up getting involved? It would be great if we could have a statewide organization with local clubs/chapters. It would be rad to have sanctioned freeride trails being built in Moab, St. George, Provo and Logan

How about "UFRA" Utah FreeRiders Association
    or "EFRA" Elevation FreeRide Association.. with a play on the states new travel motto, "life elevated"

Dr. Boudreaux, how come you never told me about these meetings?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProf
    I like WAFTA as well, it sounds like some sort of government free trade agreement!
    NUTS - Northern Utah Trail Society (something that might be heard: "man, those NUTS build killer stuff" or "those guys are NUTS")
    Ha ha, NUTS, that's good. I'm a fan of WAFTA, too.

mtbr member

Success Story

Here's a link for a decent article about FR trails & development:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...330.xml&coll=7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird79
    It would be rad to have sanctioned freeride trails being built in Moab, St. George, Provo and Logan
    I think we're trying to keep it focused on the Wasatch Front (Ogden to Provo) right now. Decentralized focus will result in a decentralized effort. I think it was discussed in the meeting that while most of us enjoy riding in SG and Moab, building trails there right now probably isn't a viable option.

Anyway, I guess my posts didn't show up.

I like WAFTA. I'm not thinking of anything worthwhile...

Wasatch Freeride Collective?

Salt Lake Area Freeride Union? Now we're sounding underground...WAFTA!
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Bird -

I tried to call you before the one meeting, but never got a hold of you. There may be other reasons as well. I will give you a call tonight.

mtbr member

WAFTA is it? It is?

So what do they say about the first ideas being best?

I think that WAFTA has appealed to most folks. I'm proposing we just take that one and run with it. If, for some reason, we decide that it just doesn't make sense later we can change it. I'll work on getting the e-mail group set up.

Cheers

banned
    What happened to the Utah Freeride Association Group Society?

Damn, UFAGS has a nice ring!

mtbr member

Check out the big brain on RockyWanderer....

RW,

Wow, that's clever. Hope your riding is a whole lot better than your humor. If your intent was to engage in some kind of flame, well I suppose I took the bait - but that's now over.

My apologies to everyone else.

Bend, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyWanderer

Damn, UFAGS has a nice ring!
    I think its funny.

But seriously, good luck with WAFTA.

Members who have read this thread: 0