flying monkey!- Mtbr.com

Thread: flying monkey!

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006

flying monkey!

Any one know how I can get a guide for this trail? People say Bender can be your guide. If no guides are available, can anyone give me some directions please? I am very experienced freerider, so I know I can take this trail...

THANKS!
    Freeride is a way of life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjumper
    I am very experienced freerider, so I know I can take this trail...

THANKS!

Please post pictures of the carnage or you walking.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by skyjumper
    People say Bender can be your guide. I am very experienced freerider, so I know I can take this trail...
    I don't know how true the last part of your statement is, but I haven't met a soul who can take Josh Bender talking in the third person all the time.

I thought I was tough, but his rambling on and on reduced me to crying in the fetal position before I even got my bike shorts on. 'I was like Bender, you just better pull yourself up by the boot straps....', 'Bender woke up and made some Yerba Mate'.' 'Bender, you better stop giving Bender cross looks or else Bender's gonna get you.'

Rumor has it that if you stay at the Hurricane Travel Lodge and place a standard garden gnome outside your room with a pirate bandana on it before you go to bed, he'll come by and pick you up the next morning.

Good luck.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Bender doing personal guides down the Flying Monkey?! Not that I'm aware of, but then I haven't tried contacting him, not to certain it's factual he would guide for just anyone coming through, maybe for friends?

Yeah what CGR said! Definitely don't go alone, knowing there's another guy to help you in case of trouble will give you just enough cojones to ride some of the big moves.....good luck, and please post up the pics!

Truth is the exposed parts of the trail aren't crazy difficult, it's the near vertical dropaway to your right that makes it challenging, the truly difficult part of the trail is the lower and less exposed section......that's where you get into the rockgardens and the trail truly becomes tough!
    I like bikes.

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    But how do I get to the trail?

I talked to bender for a couple hours and he never referred to himself in the third person...he also invited to go up to blackrock with him. So its not that crazy that he could be doing guides...

These are the only directions I could find, are these correct?
    "The road to the top of the mesa is Mesa Rd. From the only road that goes to Virgin (from La Verkin), take a left on Mesa Rd. a few miles before you get into Virgin. This road is paved for a few miles as it winds up the mesa. At the top, it turns into a dirt road. Take your first right. There's a chain link fence on your left that keeps you away from the monkey launching facility. Take that road for around 1.5 miles. The road heads back towards the mesa's edge, but not all the way. Eventually, there is another (less developed) road that goes off to the right. Park here."

I will have my friends riding with me, so it should be fine.
    Thanks!

NOT Team Sanchez
    Your directions are off Just as you crest through the cliffs on the way up take a right off the paved road to the dirt road branching right, the dirt road is really big and wide, stay on that for about a half mile then take another smaller dirt road heading right (this is the tough part as there are tons of double tracks heading right, and even more once you get off the main road......I took some large branches and spelled out the letters FM the last time I was up there but I doubt it's still worth looking for) Basically the correct road heads towards the edge, you'll run into a fence that you unhook to get through and then you're close to start, stay on the double track and you'll see the singletrack starting down the right side........watch "flying monkey, and ear em" on youtube so you can see cobra head rock then look for it near there.......it's a tricky trail to find, I'd show you but I've cracked my clavicle recently.

On second thought you'd better get Bender to show you

A better bet might be the regional trailbrain Furrykid, BTW Furrykid, no worries about St.Patricks day, catch up with you when I'm healthy!
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I just checked Skyjumper out, he's legit when referring to Bender, they have a common "ride", hint hint. Hey Skyjumper my buddy rode with you out at the Redbull, Spencer's his name, you should hook up with him, although I still have yet to show him the Flying Monkey, he only ever wants to hit the RBR.
    I like bikes.

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    I just checked Skyjumper out, he's legit when referring to Bender, they have a common "ride", hint hint. Hey Skyjumper my buddy rode with you out at the Redbull, Spencer's his name, you should hook up with him, although I still have yet to show him the Flying Monkey, he only ever wants to hit the RBR.
    Sorta big dude wearing glasses? Should I be able to find off those directions?
    Thanks for your help btw! I think I'll be able to find it.

How gnarly is it? Is it any worse than a top to bottom run at RBR?

If anyone is wondering my skill level, here's my last trip out there
    http://suicidedownhiller.pinkbike.com/album/freeriding/
    Is this spencer? http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2746019/

NOT Team Sanchez
    Yep that's him. It's a different style of riding than anything at the RBR, over there it's all about big drops, and jumps.......on the Flying Monkey it's all tech, very rocky tech, I don't think you're tires leave the ground except for on the cobra head, but it's just as challenging as the RBR in a different way, the lower rock garden is nuts. A side shoot off the Monkey dubbed the King Kong line is more RBR style, except for it's just one knife edge ridge sticking out rather than a group of ridgelines like over at the RBR site.

Make no mistake you'll more than likely have to hunt around, the directions I gave you are as good as they can be without showing you the trail in person, oh and BTW once you decide on the double track to go down, leave you car on the main dirt road and pedal your bike, it's easier for the shuttle and you'll have a better chance finding the trail.
    I like bikes.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Judging by your pics, you'd be more at home on King Kong or Earn 'Em.

Flying Monkey is fun and challenging, but there's very little air time as wasea mentioned. Also, I'd skip the Cobra drop unless you want to test your ankle bone density.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Good 'ol "Bendy" bought land in Nor Cal with his wife so I don't see him even being in zion anytime soon.... I can give you the tour if you p.m. me and let me know when you are wanting to ride it. I'm free most evenings. I haven't ridden it yet this year but have been told some folks worked on the missing link to make the upper stretch more civil. Also know that we used to end in bender's jump park at the virgin cemetery but there is a development in the way now so shuttling to the bmx track seems more reasonable.

NOT Team Sanchez

Oh come on......my ankes are tough!

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    Judging by your pics, you'd be more at home on King Kong or Earn 'Em.

Flying Monkey is fun and challenging, but there's very little air time as wasea mentioned. Also, I'd skip the Cobra drop unless you want to test your ankle bone density.

It's not that bad.......6-7 feet to near flat, the landings kind of soft which helps, you've gotta do it when you're up there, not hitting the cobra head is like going to disneyland and not riding the matterhorn
    I like bikes.

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    It's not that bad.......6-7 feet to near flat, the landings kind of soft which helps, you've gotta do it when you're up there, not hitting the cobra head is like going to disneyland and not riding the matterhorn
    6 ft to flat pshhh. Flat=more fun. lol. 14 to near flat http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2903320/

NOT Team Sanchez
    Well I went scouting today, since I'm unable to ride might as well explore some new trails on foot. With some help from Furrykid I was able to find and hike the Missing Link (upper flying monkey), and all I can say is "wow." Just when I thought I was pretty good,this trail comes along and puts me back in my place. As much harder and scary the Flying Monkey is to Grafton Mesa, the Missing Link is to the Flying Monkey.........I have a hard time believing people actually ride the very top drop in, it'd be a nearly impossible but then you're dealing with worse exposure than the Monkey and DANG!!!!!
    I like bikes.

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    what/where is grafton mesa?

NOT Team Sanchez
    It's further up the canyon past Virgin, it drops into the the town of Rockville, you'll need a guide to get to it, trying to explain on the comp just won't work........long story short, Grafton is much more "fun" trail than the Monkey, better flow and tecnhically easier. Do 'em both.
    I like bikes.

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    ok thank you! What is earn em, and JEM trail?

NOT Team Sanchez
    earn em is trail that starts down the same mesa as the FM, just lower, it has more of the kind of riding you'd find over at the RBR except for it's singletracky, the JEM is xc.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Your directions are off Just as you crest through the cliffs on the way up take a right off the paved road to the dirt road branching right, the dirt road is really big and wide, stay on that for about a half mile then take another smaller dirt road heading right (this is the tough part as there are tons of double tracks heading right, and even more once you get off the main road......I took some large branches and spelled out the letters FM the last time I was up there but I doubt it's still worth looking for) Basically the correct road heads towards the edge, you'll run into a fence that you unhook to get through and then you're close to start, stay on the double track and you'll see the singletrack starting down the right side........watch "flying monkey, and ear em" on youtube so you can see cobra head rock then look for it near there.......it's a tricky trail to find, I'd show you but I've cracked my clavicle recently.
    Are these directions reasonably easy to follow? There's a group thinking about heading down there in March and this is all I could find with regard to how to get there.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr
    Are these directions reasonably easy to follow? There's a group thinking about heading down there in March and this is all I could find with regard to how to get there.
    It's been neglected for a few seasons and frankly, I won't even walk down it. We're talking RedBull Rampage level stuff...

You and your group that good?

I'll watch.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    It's been neglected for a few seasons and frankly, I won't even walk down it. We're talking RedBull Rampage level stuff...
    Thanks for the information. We are pretty capable riders in my opinion but are not looking to perform a do-it-yourself Redbull Rampage. We've got some time yet.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

NOT Team Sanchez

Not a big air trail.....unless you mess up!

Thanks for the information. We are pretty capable riders in my opinion but are not looking to perform a do-it-yourself Redbull Rampage. We've got some time yet.
    This trail seems to be on a lot of people's radar due to it's well renowned gnarliness, but the best place to get essentially the same rush minus the risk is over at Grafton Mesa. Not to mention that Grafton's got much better flow, but at any rate both of these trails are still mucky, come check it out this spring perhaps......and to explain the heading; there's pretty much zero air time on the Monkey, it's just super technical, but if you crash you will catch some air as you fall off the side of the mountain.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    I think that the plan is to ride flying monkey exactly because it's not a big air trail. This is why we don't want to do King Kong. Up here in Logan all of the trails are a bit more than just mucky: they are under a few feet of snow... We have a week for spring break starting March 7 I think so we have plenty of time to plan things and one of the guys is from St. George, so we've got a place to stay while enjoying more than just the flying monkey. Thanks for suggesting grafton mesa. We'll have to check it out too.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

NOT Team Sanchez

I think that the plan is to ride flying monkey exactly because it's not a big air trail. This is why we don't want to do King Kong. Up here in Logan all of the trails are a bit more than just mucky: they are under a few feet of snow... We have a week for spring break starting March 7 I think so we have plenty of time to plan things and one of the guys is from St. George, so we've got a place to stay while enjoying more than just the flying monkey. Thanks for suggesting grafton mesa. We'll have to check it out too.
    Who's your bro down here? Here's what you should do, and yes the trails should be good to go by then (finger's crossed ), ride Grafton Mesa as a gauge for how well you'll do/enjoy the Monkey. Grafton is a faster, flowier, and less exposed Flying Monkey that still offers plenty of technical, chunky rocks. King Kong's just plain crazy, you have to air out ten foot plus drops to mostly flat and off camber ridges that are very, very narrow (2') with unpleasant penalties off either side. I may find myself in Moab over springbreak, but if not I'll shoot you a message about potentially riding, if that's kosher?
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Who's your bro down here? Here's what you should do, and yes the trails should be good to go by then (finger's crossed ), ride Grafton Mesa as a gauge for how well you'll do/enjoy the Monkey. Grafton is a faster, flowier, and less exposed Flying Monkey that still offers plenty of technical, chunky rocks. King Kong's just plain crazy, you have to air out ten foot plus drops to mostly flat and off camber ridges that are very, very narrow (2') with unpleasant penalties off either side. I may find myself in Moab over springbreak, but if not I'll shoot you a message about potentially riding, if that's kosher?
    I'm not sure if he's on mtbr but his brother's friend (obviously nothing to do with him) rides pro (I forgot his name so will have to ask him). I totally agree with your synopsis of king kong. I guess that unpleasant is one way of putting the penalties If you don't head out to Moab, it would most certainly be cool to meet up with us. Thanks for the information and advice.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

NOT Team Sanchez
    We only have to pros down here, Logan Binggeli and now Spencer Mehr, I ride with both of them occasionally........occasionally because their posse, of which Shelbster's a member, abhors riding in the early AM Sounds good man, talk to you then!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    We only have to pros down here, Logan Binggeli and now Spencer Mehr,
    Sweet, Logan Binggeli is the one.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

I'd rather be biking...
    We only have to pros down here, Logan Binggeli and now Spencer Mehr, I ride with both of them occasionally........occasionally because their posse, of which Shelbster's a member, abhors riding in the early AM Sounds good man, talk to you then!
    Hey now , I get up early all the time, just have to be at work by 7 am.....so morn rides never work

NOT Team Sanchez
    Oh Shelbster, just a friendly jab.
    I like bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0