Flying Monkey- Mtbr.com

Thread: Flying Monkey

Sep 2007

Flying Monkey

Anyone been on Flying Monkey lately. Going to this weekend and have been on Grafton Mesa, but never been over to FM. Looking for some directions and trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh man. I wish I was going to ride the Monkey this weekend. I haven't been down there all year. I'm sure it's still as nasty as ever though. You should definitely go look for it. Good luck. It's sort of hard to explain. I'm sure someone else can explain a bit more, but here's some vague directions. The road to the top of the mesa is Mesa Rd. From the only road that goes to Virgin (from La Verkin), take a left on Mesa Rd. a few miles before you get into Virgin. This road is paved for a few miles as it winds up the mesa. At the top, it turns into a dirt road. Take your first right. There's a chain link fence on your left that keeps you away from the monkey launching facility. Take that road for around 1.5 miles. The road heads back towards the mesa's edge, but not all the way. Eventually, there is another (less developed) road that goes off to the right. Park here. It's about a 3-5 min. ride along the double track road until you get to the Mesa's edge. The single track heads off to the left. You end up at the Cemetery in Virgin. Good luck. Your best bet is to find a local that's willing to show you the Missing Link. It's the newer trail above the Monkey. I've ridden it twice and there is no way in hell I could find the trail head again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sep 2007
    When you would be welcome to come. Thanks for the help! I look forward to the ride! Approximately how long is the drive from town to the trail head? How does the Missing link compare to FM or Grafton?

Sep 2007
    The best source of information on the Flying Monkey is probably Bill at Zion Bike in Springdale. I know that he has been working on the trail this summer. You might also contact Mark at Mountain Bike Buddies if you need a shuttle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn308
    When you would be welcome to come. Thanks for the help! I look forward to the ride! Approximately how long is the drive from town to the trail head? How does the Missing link compare to FM or Grafton?
    It takes about 12-15 minutes to drive to the top from town. The Missing Link is another 15 minutes past that. It's a crazy trail. The very top is steep and technical. There are some really fun jumps, but they are tech. If you have never ridden the Monkey.....ride that first. If that's not enough for ya, hang a right 2/3 of the way down and try your luck at King Kong. It's kicked my ass 3 times.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nice pics pho! I peed my pants a little when I looked down King Kong from FM...

Members who have read this thread: 0