Flowy trails in Moab?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Flowy trails in Moab?

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Moab this Spring to ride. I rode Fruita's 18 Rd trails last year and really enjoyed the fast/flowy/bermy trails there. Are there trails like this in Moab? If so, what would you recommend?

beater
    Not many. The geology and landscape are different. The closest to that style you'll find are north of town in the Klondike Bluffs system.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    There are good flowy drops on the Klonzo Trails and a sections of trails on Mag 7, Getaway, Navajo Rocks, Horsethief, and a little at Klondike Bluffs. Also sections of the Moab Brand Trails. Mostly we go to Moab for the beaches, ok, no, for the rocks.

You survived Dippity :-)
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    At the klonzo area, look at borderline, wahoo, red hot and rollercoaster. Klondike has dino-flow, but it's up and down...but pretty flowy. EZ-Lazy in the brands area. Slickrock has some flowy sections. But yeah, mostly Moab is known for rocks. Some of it can be pretty flowy though, in a bumpy ledgy sort of way.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Desert Seeker
    Depending on when you are here, Jimmy Keen Trail may be open. It is dirt and is pretty flowy for the most part. Ride Getaway trail in the Mag 7 system downhill to catch some flowy sections as well. Slickrock Trail and the red sandstone of Barlett Wash are also options, but yeah, not too much in general.

mtbr member
    Compared to 18 Road? Nope, nada, zip, zilch...you can get *some* flow going up at Dead Horse Sate Park but it's not like 18 Road. Is there anyplace like 18 Road? If there is, I haven't been there....yet!!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    There are slick rock flowy trails. At Navajo Rocks middle trailhead go on Rambln' and drop that rock for a while. When you get to the 4WD road then pedal out to the highway and back to the trailhead and repeat. It is like power skiing. More fun as you know the trail and pick up speed.

I like dropping Hymasa on Amasa Back. Plenty of ledges to hop but it is rather flowy for a rock garden on steroids. Captain Ahab is a slow technical challenge if you climb Hymasa and want to do rock work instead. Amazing views!!!!
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    k2rider1964, we built The Demo Flow trail in the Santa Cruz Mountains that is 4 miles long and much bigger berms and descent than 18 Road. (Or is that really 17 3/4 Road but they rounded it up for us?) The turns are tighter and much steeper and the rollers are bigger.

However, The Demo is in heavy forest and I love the big views in the Grand Valley! But if you want body numbing flow then The Demo Flow Trail can't be beat. The problem is it is being loved to death. Lots of maintenance work going on this winter.

I'm not sure what I think of Jimmy Keen above Moab. (Back to the topic.) It is rather flowy but we have to do gentle climbs frequently. I like it for about 3 of its 6 miles but then want to bail out to Koko and get to the rocks on UPS.

Does anyone know if that road that crosses the trail maybe half way down would take me back to Koko?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    [QUOTE=jmpreston;12414155

Does anyone know if that road that crosses the trail maybe half way down would take me back to Koko?[/QUOTE]

There are a number of 4wd roads through there so It's hard to know which one you are hitting. The first one West of Koko can return you to Koko if you head down and stay right. The second one West goes down to Sand Flats Rd. Those are the major roads but there are other 4X4 tracks through the area.
    Don't know if that helps. Down always equals Moab, sooner or later........

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Thanks SAM313. I just rode Keen for the first time at the end of October so I don't have it figured out. This was more than a primitive road. As I recall I dropped on it and went right for maybe 200 yards. The trail continued to the left into dense growth and the road seemed to head to Koko. However, I couldn't recall a road intersecting Koko when I rode it before but I was so cold then it was a survival ride until UPS.

I was sober this time but freezing again. At least the wet trail was frozen.

:-)

I'll probably be back in Moab for Outerbike in April and want to take my wife down Keen but bail out for Koko after a few miles.

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Compared to 18 Road? Nope, nada, zip, zilch...you can get *some* flow going up at Dead Horse Sate Park but it's not like 18 Road. Is there anyplace like 18 Road? If there is, I haven't been there....yet!!
    I think Klonzo has some similarities to the 18 Road area.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    "I'll probably be back in Moab for Outerbike in April and want to take my wife down Keen but bail out for Koko after a few miles."

If you ride down you'll come to Sand Flats and if just follow that down you will pass where Kokopelli joins in and then come to a right turn that will take you back out to UPS.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Thanks Sam, that seems to be a good bailout if we want it. She knows UPS down so she may want to savior all of Keen before her hell ride begins.

:-)

I want to get to UPS ASAP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OMZ View Post
    I think Klonzo has some similarities to the 18 Road area.
    I agree. Klonzo reminded me quite a bit of 18rd in places, but with more fun & rocks thrown in the mix.

Gravitron, Red Hot and Hotdog (if I remember names right) all reminded me of 18rd riding.