Flaming Gorge trail suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Flaming Gorge trail suggestions?

Hey, we're going to bringing a bunch of scouts over to Flaming Gorge for some river rafting and biking. They're inexperienced, and 14-15 years old. There will be about 10 of them. I've found a bunch of what look like great trails at www.dinoland.com in the dinosaurland park, but have never been on any of them, so I was wondering if any of you have ever been up that way and can suggest any. This is a link to the list of trails I found. And they don't have to be at dinoland. If you have other suggestions, those would be great too. We'll be going up June 7-9.

So anyway, I guess we need beginner to easy trails, but they may be able to handle intermediate trails. I really don't know, as I'm kind of a beginner myself.

Thanks!
    Nate (from Layton)
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

The Sentinel

I've ridden Elk Park

My parents spend a lot of time at Brownie Lake, and I rode the Elk Park trail a couple of years ago. I started at the lake, instead of the trailhead the map points out. There's a pretty steep climb at Icy Dugway, but it is fairly short...and I walked most of it! It was mostly FS roads, and I think it was rated advanced because of it's length, not it's difficulty.

If nothing else, there are plenty of dirt roads up in the Sheep Creek area; you could just ride those roads forever...at least long enough to burn up their energy!

You might want to give Troy a call in Vernal at Altitude Cycles...I'll bet he could give you some better beta on the area. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by paqman
    Hey, we're going to bringing a bunch of scouts over to Flaming Gorge for some river rafting and biking. They're inexperienced, and 14-15 years old. There will be about 10 of them. I've found a bunch of what look like great trails at www.dinoland.com in the dinosaurland park, but have never been on any of them, so I was wondering if any of you have ever been up that way and can suggest any. This is a link to the list of trails I found. And they don't have to be at dinoland. If you have other suggestions, those would be great too. We'll be going up June 7-9.

So anyway, I guess we need beginner to easy trails, but they may be able to handle intermediate trails. I really don't know, as I'm kind of a beginner myself.

Thanks!
    Nate (from Layton)
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Red Canyon

Red Canyon Rim would be a great trail for you and your scouts. It has an intermediate rating, its all singletrack and ahs some great views! The trail head is at the Red Canyon Visitor Center 10 miles long, 400 ft of climbing, Can be tied into Sweat Ranch trail for over 16 mi. Great fun! I have ridden it many times. Check out www.utahsingletrack.com

Hope that was helpfull. Ed

mtbr member
    Hey thanks guys! That's some great info. I'll talk to Troy for sure. I've been to their website, and there's a lot of good info on there, so it will be good talk to a human, and get his input. And utahsingletrack.com also has some great info. Thanks a bunch. This helps tons.
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

Members who have read this thread: 0