Fixies, on trails!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Fixies, on trails!

It was brought to my attention today after commenting on about the 15th completely blown out corner that someone in the area is riding a fixie SS on trails.

Now I'm totally being presumptuous here that this is the cause but is fixies on XC trails normal? A full summer of this and trails are gonna be trash.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Who is this "dhzion?" what do you mean about the fifteenth being blown out, is that the name of the specific corner? Clarity, like in Diamonds, makes for much greater value
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    Who is this "dhzion?" what do you mean about the fifteenth being blown out, is that the name of the specific corner? Clarity, like in Diamonds, makes for much greater value
    What do I know about Diamonds?

Fifteenth as in the number, as in multiple, more than ten, less than twenty, sweet spot in the middle fifteen, or so.......anyhow, back on topic.

Fixies on xc trails, anyone?

NOT Team Sanchez
    I'm lost...............but don't worry I'm not riding, nor will ever be riding a fixie.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There are a bunch of blown out corners on xc trails....i.e. someone that can't coast pedaling hard through them or standing on their brakes into them.

I'm just curious if this is some sort of purist movement I'm not yet aware of and if they really think it's the best thing for our trails.

mtbr member
    Don't worry. If someone really is riding a fixie while trying to mountain bike, Darwin will make sure they don't do it for long!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Rocks Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by dhzion
    It was brought to my attention today after commenting on about the 15th completely blown out corner that someone in the area is riding a fixie SS on trails.

Now I'm totally being presumptuous here that this is the cause but is fixies on XC trails normal? A full summer of this and trails are gonna be trash.
    Fixies are always single speed and I doubt thy are blowing out XC trails cause they don't go fast enough. I don't know for sure I haven't rid one since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I'm just sayin...
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well these are slow techy turns, so what it appears is happening is they can't coast the corner with momentum so they're either standing on the brakes to reel in some speed or standing hard on the pedals to power through the corner cause they're on an SS.

It's newer trail so the corners are soft as it is and being constantly rutted out isn't helping. I know the guy is in the area and riding, I'm just trying to understand if he's just trying to be cool or if this is some new thing.

mtbr member
    You do know that fixies don't have brakes, right?
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Fixies aren't normal anywhere and should go away like the plague.

What I would suggest is to steal a pair of your sister's capris, some old black Chuck's, a tight and short t-shirt with some awful Japanimation freaky image on it, cut your bars down to 8inches and get your weight down to that of a 13 year old girl with an image complex.

Put some emo music in your Ipod and pedal on down to the No Brow coffee shop on 3rd South and 3rd East. Make a few friends and infiltrate their group to find out who's doing this.

I expect a full report by the end of next week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Fixies aren't normal anywhere and should go away like the plague.

What I would suggest is to steal a pair of your sister's capris, some old black Chuck's, a tight and short t-shirt with some awful Japanimation freaky image on it, cut your bars down to 8inches and get your weight down to that of a 13 year old girl with an image complex.

Put some emo music in your Ipod and pedal on down to the No Brow coffee shop on 3rd South and 3rd East. Make a few friends and infiltrate their group to find out who's doing this.

I expect a full report by the end of next week.

Quoted for pure awesomeness!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    It's newer trail so the corners are soft as it is and being constantly rutted out isn't helping. I know the guy is in the area and riding, I'm just trying to understand if he's just trying to be cool or if this is some new thing.
    So you believe it's one single individual ruining this trail all my himself? Seems a little hard to believe unless he's riding it dozens of times a day or this is the world's most poorly constructed trail. Most trails I see with blown out corners are due to skidiots with no bike control locking up a rear brake through a corner. I would think anyone riding a fixie on trails probably has enough skill to negotiate a corner without much problem.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Brass Nipples!
    SlowerThenSnot rides fixed most of the time.

I haven't met him, but I doubt he's tearing up trails. He sounds more like the pedal 'til your legs fall off kind of guy, not the type who overcooks corners and rides out of control.

Here's a thread about one of his epics: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=507174.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Well these are slow techy turns, so what it appears is happening is they can't coast the corner with momentum so they're either standing on the brakes to reel in some speed or standing hard on the pedals to power through the corner cause they're on an SS.

If this is the trail that I am thinking of - Barrel Roll's new climb then I have seen them too. It has nothing to do with anyone on a fixie. The trail is brand new and will need a season of rain before the corners are ridden in properly.

BTW I ride my SS up that trail and yes I have to stand thru the corners to make it up. The corners have been soft since the day the trail crew was done. So quitcher*****en.

If you really are looking for someone to blame then I guess I will take the heat for the hundreds of people who are riding that trail. Tell me when and where and we can settle this just like when we were in Jr. High. My guess is it ends with you crying or calling your lawyer.

If you are looking to fix the problem then the next time it rains go up there and do a little trail work yourself and see if you can get some compaction on those corners.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    If this is the trail that I am thinking of - Barrel Roll's new climb then I have seen them too. It has nothing to do with anyone on a fixie. The trail is brand new and will need a season of rain before the corners are ridden in properly.

BTW I ride my SS up that trail and yes I have to stand thru the corners to make it up. The corners have been soft since the day the trail crew was done. So quitcher*****en.

If you really are looking for someone to blame then I guess I will take the heat for the hundreds of people who are riding that trail. Tell me when and where and we can settle this just like when we were in Jr. High. My guess is it ends with you crying or calling your lawyer.

If you are looking to fix the problem then the next time it rains go up there and do a little trail work yourself and see if you can get some compaction on those corners.
    Uhh, no, I have no clue what or where barrel roll is. But we can fight, I guess, if ya really want to.......

Anyhow......

I rarely post here but I guess I didn't realize a simple straight forward question was going to spark so much confusion and trail nazi e-peen flashing.

If this is the cause of the damage I'd like to be educated, simple really.
    Last edited by dhzion; 05-15-2009 at 10:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Uhh, no, I have no clue what or where barrel roll is. But we can fight, I guess, if ya really want to.......?lemme know, I don't have a lawyer and will poke a big shot in the dark you can't make me cry.

Anyhow......

I rarely post here but I guess I didn't realize a simple straight forward question was going to spark so much confusion and trail nazi e-peen flashing.

If this is the cause of the damage I'd like to be educated, simple really.
    If you don't know the cause, why the assumptin about fixies (which you thought had brakes). A big fat callout with no evidence will get you nowhere in life son.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump
    If you don't know the cause, why the assumptin about fixies (which you thought had brakes). A big fat callout with no evidence will get you nowhere in life son.
    Sigh, what is the deal here? I clearly stated I was being 100% presumptuous. I don't know, that's why I'm asking......

mtbr member
    I think it's dinosaurs. Shhhh....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    You do know that fixies don't have brakes, right?
    So to brake they just put rearward force on the pedals or?

Dr. Pepper drinker
    http://cellarrat.blogspot.com/ aka SlowerThenSnot on mtbr

Pretty sure Fixie Dave would be the guy that your friend (or whoever brought the fixie thing to your attention) was assuming would be causing the damage. Met him a couple times this spring at OTE in Hurricane where he's been working for the last several months, and he's a cool guy, definitely not someone carelessly out tearing up trails and certainly not some tight jean wearing hipster riding a fixie because it's the latest fad. He rides everywhere, no car, no license. I last saw him over Easter weekend and he had just finished some 80 mile epic down there. I checked out his bike at the shop and if I remember correctly he runs a front disc brake and no rear brake. If I'm going to place a guess on the damaged trail I'll say the new connector from Gooseberry to Grafton and I'm guessing it's probably just going to take a full season of riding to settle in and the people tearing it up are probably just typical boneheads locking up their rear brakes in every corner.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I know exactly who's doing this!

It's that kid on the Specialized who always wears a white t-shirt and eggshell looking white Bell helmet with the fancy hairnet looking cover over it cocked way back on his head. He usually wears Nike running shoes (Forrest Gump style but with a blue logo instead of the red one) and tennis socks. Leaky water bottle keeping the trails all muddy. No tools or spare tube, always with that 'deer caught in the headlights' worried look when he has a mechanical because he hasn't spent countless hours practicing swapping out a tube in less than 3 minutes (including pump time).

That kid's a jerk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The two things are mutually independent.

In our area, with the softer dirt we have, new trail takes at least a few full seasons (cut new trail, snow/melt, ride, repeat) to truly settle in. And that's assuming the trail was well designed in the first place.

For the most part. Some fixies are fitted with brakes, but they're pretty rare.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ok, I'm educated, and my curiosity sated, even in some small part from this thread.

I'm well aware of the dirt characteristics and what it takes to beat trail into it, I've been here my whole life.

The rutting isn't helping, regardless the cause!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Personally, I'd like to see more skid friendly trails. Those old school Park City, tighter than a nun's c*#t switchbacks wear my brake pads down too quickly.

If I could come hot into a corner, throw a foot out and lock the rear brake up real quick-like rather than getting up to speed for 5 feet, then slowing down to inch worm around a corner built for the width and turning radius of a fit and slender hiker...and repeat 20 times...I would be happy.

I'm surprised the 29'er club hasn't pushed for this type of trail already. Must be like trying to turn a semi around in a single family home's driveway getting those bikes around the likes of Spiro, etc... Get those gyroscoping wheels laid out sideways Dukes Of Hazzard style. Plus, it would really offset the lamb chop sideburns and unwashed look and add a bit of style and flair to the whole experience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Personally, I'd like to see more skid friendly trails. Those old school Park City, tighter than a nun's c*#t switchbacks wear my brake pads down too quickly.
    I agree that those types of turns/trails are fun, but they're just not sustainable from a maintenance perspective. Every year you need to rework the turn, and every few years you need to re-route the trail. With volunteer time limited, it's always an uphill battle and sustainable trails give more bang for the buck.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by PG_Gary
    I agree that those types of turns/trails are fun, but they're just not sustainable from a maintenance perspective. Every year you need to rework the turn, and every few years you need to re-route the trail. With volunteer time limited, it's always an uphill battle and sustainable trails give more bang for the buck.
    Pretty sure I was joking. Sort of. But thanks for the explanation.

However, what's not something to joke about is the topic of this Thread: Fixies on Trails!

They're a menace and should be stopped. Last thing I need is to crest the top of some death march of a climb only to see some gaper on some tooled, East Coast steel lugged nancy boy fixie with his work gray knickers, courier bag in lieu of a proper hydration pack, all unshaven and wreaking the air up with old patchouli and garlic. It's hard enough just squeeking out a 'hi' to the average rider let alone having to stop and be all inquisitive like when all I want to do is hang my upper body over the bars and get my blurry vision and breathing back but have to be nice and acknowledge his existence because he's on a special bike:

"So is that a fixed gear or single speed?"
    "Really. So you have to pedal all the time?"
    "Is that nag champa I smell?"
    "Oh yeah, the cinamon really jazzes that scent up."
    "Wow, those handle bars are as wide as one of my grips."
    "Really? Your handle bars are made of pine and unfinished?"
    "Oh yeah. Sustainability incase you crash and die off the side of the trail and your body and bike need to decompose rapidly. Smart."
    "Oh nice. Hemp SPD's."

I don't think so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I must have missed the joke, sorry!

mtbr member
    May 2008

However, what's not something to joke about is the topic of this Thread: Fixies on Trails!

They're a menace and should be stopped. Last thing I need is to crest the top of some death march of a climb only to see some gaper on some tooled, East Coast steel lugged nancy boy fixie with his work gray knickers, courier bag in lieu of a proper hydration pack, all unshaven and wreaking the air up with old patchouli and garlic. It's hard enough just squeeking out a 'hi' to the average rider let alone having to stop and be all inquisitive like when all I want to do is hang my upper body over the bars and get my blurry vision and breathing back but have to be nice and acknowledge his existence because he's on a special bike:

"Oh yeah. Sustainability incase you crash and die off the side of the trail and your body and bike need to decompose rapidly. Smart."
    "Oh nice. Hemp SPD's."

I don't think so.
    Well you finally made me laugh at least, before I was wondering if you were just out of a job and really bored.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Well you finally made me laugh at least, before I was wondering if you were just out of a job and really bored.
    Unfortunately, just really bored at my job. Since I reside about 6 blocks from the downtown fixie hangout-No Brow Coffee Shop and about 10 blocks from the other fixie hangout-Juniors Bar, I couldn't pass up an opportunnity to put my two cents in about the bunch.

True story: So there's the Ute Car Wash right next to No Brow Coffee. One Saturday morning I pedaled my IH 'Sunday' down there to wash it. So here I am with an 8in travel DH race bike, all out of breath having pedaled it on something other than a steep decline, and not even a minute after I managed to get all 8 quarters into the machine 3 of the kids from the coffee shop had jumped on their bikes and were doing track stands in the parking lot right in front of me.
    At first I felt threatened, like I had stumbled onto their turf with the wrong colors. Excuse me, bike. Then I noticed each one MAYBE weighed 110lbs. Well maybe if I sprayed them with the washer and got their hoodies all wet. So I wasn't scared, finished washing my bike and still to this day wonder what that all meant.

Then I tried a track stand down the road at a light, well beyond where they could see.

True story.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've only met one guy that rides fixies on single track, and he definitely wasn't blowing corners, likely due to the fact that you have to be stupid good to rock a fully rigid stiffy down tech single track.

Blown corners are much more likely due to riders grabbing a handful of rear brake and counter steering.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by gurp
    Blown corners are much more likely due to riders grabbing a handful of rear brake and counter steering.
    Those are the corners I like. If you've ever rally slid a tight switchback correctly you'll know what I'm talking about. It's when you come hot into a corner and put the rear of the bike into a slide going the opposite direction of the corner and at the last minute you let off the brake completely and the rear of the bike whips around and follows the front wheel through the corner-tight. Last time I pulled one off I was so excited I soiled myself and fell over into some scrub oak in the fetal position savoring the moment for about 15 minutes.

Of course if I see any of you on the trail and you ask if I'm sliding corners, I will vehemently deny any of this. I figure if all those retards can ride Bobsled while it's dripping wet, tearing that trail into a mess of baby vomit, then I can throw a skid down a few times a year.

Kind of a catch 22 this sliding corners vs. not sliding corners thing. It boils down to-do you want a bunch of braking bumps prior to the corner or a skidded out corner?

And don't come back with that weak-a$$ argument about just going slow the whole time. If you want to just go slow, stay home and play Singletrack Vixens on your Wi.

I'll even propose a solution to this problem: Berms. Yep, I said it. Berms. The devils addition to any trail to keep flow and speed up.
    Berm everything.
    Tight switchback? Berm it.
    Steep climbs? Berm it up.
    Boring parking lot? Throw some berms in there.
    Flat tire? Throw it on a berm.
    Bonking on a long ride? Eat a berm.

Love berms. Love 'em.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ummmm, slow techy turns, as I stated before..........

After explaining your locale it's all a bit funnier now, ty!

should know better.....

"Oh nice. Hemp SPD's."

I don't think so.

F*in just bust my gut laughing. Totally made my day.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

This reminds me of a hiker reporting that mtbers were shortcutting switchbacks here in Oregon. Never mind that the "shortcut" extended above and below the trail and was filled with deer tracks (and a few boot prints) but no tire tracks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    This reminds me of a hiker reporting that mtbers were shortcutting switchbacks here in Oregon. Never mind that the "shortcut" extended above and below the trail and was filled with deer tracks (and a few boot prints) but no tire tracks.
    Don't even get me started on the hikers. Who was the genius anyway that let them out on the trails? And why when there are two, or a pair for that matter, does each one jump to an opposing side of the trail. They never step to the same side to allow the maximum amount of space to pass by. When you're almost legally blind and your glasses rival the bottom of a Coke bottle and you're riding with 745mm bars it takes a bit of skill to not snag anything. It's like they're 16 on a first date and all nervous about accidentally touching an elbow or something.
    Then you add the dog who just stands right in the middle the whole time while the owner stares at their shoes not bothering to get it over a bit, completing the blockade.

Hikers. They don't 'get' berms. Scuffing up the corners with their Vibram soles and hiking sticks. Ruining our trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0