mtbr member
    May 2011

First trip to Moab... Needing recommendations

Hey guys,

My wife and I are doing a weekend trip to Moab for the first time and we are looking for some recommendations on trails to hit while we are there. My wife is just getting back on her bike after an injury so not wanting to do crazy miles here and probably will just stick to blues. What would ya'll suggest?

Thank you,
    Sean

Formerly of Kent

First trip to Moab... Needing recommendations

Good miles to be had up top at Mag 7, particularly the western two thirds or so. Plenty of bail out points and easy road ride back to parking if someone isn’t feeling great.

Same with the Horsethief and Navajo Rocks areas. Dead Horse Point State Park is pretty nice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Slickrock is the iconic trail in town for many but I skipped it because I heard it wasn't very technical... Maybe that makes it a good choice for you?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Slick rock is just as technical as you choose. Take the side lines, it is your canvas. That said, I only ride it once every 5 years or so...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    We don’t have a lot of “blue” trails, Slickrock is certainly not one of them.....If you’ve never ridden this terrain before I would start with the Big Chief loop at Deadhorse point, if that is in your comfort zone then move over to Horsethief area or Navajo Rocks. We are getting intermittent rain so most lower elev. trails will be muddy, the ones I outlined will have hardpacked sand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    We don’t have a lot of “blue” trails, Slickrock is certainly not one of them.....If you’ve never ridden this terrain before I would start with the Big Chief loop at Deadhorse point, if that is in your comfort zone then move over to Horsethief area or Navajo Rocks. We are getting intermittent rain so most lower elev. trails will be muddy, the ones I outlined will have hardpacked sand.
    ^^THIS^^ Dead Horse State Park might not be ultra challenging compared to many trails in Moab but the FUN factor is thru the roof. We ride there EVERY trip.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'd recommend differently - start out with a ride at the Brand trail system.

- it's way closer to town (you can even ride from town)
    - it's better signed and better maintained
    - there are a variety of trails, of varying difficulties, from first-time 10 year old to technically challenging (all well marked). DHSP trails are all pretty much the same, and all at the same beginner+ level.
    - Brand trails are free; the State Park charges admission.

I'd go to Brands the first day and assess how it goes there; then move on to Dead Horse, or Slickrock (the practice loop is good - a quick 30 minute intro - then you can decide whether to do the full loop or not).

I would *not* recommend Mag 7 to someone coming off an injury.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    I'd recommend differently - start out with a ride at the Brand trail system.

- it's way closer to town (you can even ride from town)
    - it's better signed and better maintained
    - there are a variety of trails, of varying difficulties, from first-time 10 year old to technically challenging (all well marked). DHSP trails are all pretty much the same, and all at the same beginner+ level.
    - Brand trails are free; the State Park charges admission.

I'd go to Brands the first day and assess how it goes there; then move on to Dead Horse, or Slickrock (the practice loop is good - a quick 30 minute intro - then you can decide whether to do the full loop or not).

I would *not* recommend Mag 7 to someone coming off an injury.
    This would be good except for our weather. These trails have extreme mud when wet. Depending on weather when you com, if it has been dry for 4 or more days then this might be doable, otherwise you’ll just destroy trails and make a mess of your bike.

mtbr member
    When are you going?
    There's a sticky at the top, labelled,

"Sticky: Moab Trip Planner"

Check it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was just in Moab last week. I have no prevoius Moab experience and only got in one day of riding with a group of non-riders....
    A couple of notes if you are going soon:

It was a zoo last weekend. Mainly due to Utah schools on fall break. If you need to rent a bike, reserve it in advance during busy times. The shops ‘sell out’ fast.

There was a very long line to drive in to the slickrock trail area. If you go there, consider riding in during busy times.

Weather was an issue. It was unseasonably cold last week with storms moving through at times. Winter is coming.

We only rode Klondike Bluffs. Nice trail system with something for everyone. Probably not the most scenic option.

If you are camping and need a shower, there is a really nice rec center in town with a pool and showers. $5. Bring your own towel.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. We ended up dong Dead Horse Trails and Horse Thief Camp areas. Both amazing places. We are already planning our next trip lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Most of Moab's trails are "reds".

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    Most of Moab's trails are "reds".
    Where are all of these purported “red” trails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.