First time to Moab!!!- Mtbr.com

Jul 2008

First time to Moab!!!

Well, we just got back from our first trip to Moab and all I have to say is "WOW"! We stayed at the Canyonland campgrounds and opted for a cabin that sleeps 4($70 a night). We weren't sure about the camping scene and didn't want to have to deal with packing up every day so the cabin worked out perfect.

I decided to rent a dual suspension since I normally ride a hard tail. I checked around and Poison Spider came highly recommended so I went with them. I rented a Trek EX8 and it was a good bike but the fork seal went out on the first day. I took the bike back and they upgraded me to an Intense tracer VP for free! The bike was amazing and I have nothing but good things to say about the customer service at the Poison Spider.

The first day we hit Slick rock trail and unless you're an Olympic mountain bike climbing champion take the easy loop. We mistakenly thought that hard meant there would be more technical involved and boy were we wrong! The hard loop means you'll be climbing like a mofo!

Day two...We took the Porcupine shuttle up to the LPS(I think...we were dropped at the cattle guard?) of Porcupine and it was $15 but well worth every penny! The run is amazing and has several places to stop and soak in the beauty w/ pictures. There are a couple of very technical spots but all in all you'll have a great time. Get your suspension dialed in and blast down the trail. The last 4 miles of the trail turned into a single track hugging the canyon walls so if you're not comfortable being close to the ledge then just walk the bike through that section and hop back on when you're ready. Be prepared for a six mile ride back to town (it's kind of relaxing after such an intense ride down). We hit the Moab brewery that night and they had good beer specials, can't speak on the food though, strictly liquid diet while there

Day three involved a ride up and down Amasa back trail. There’s a good bit of climbing to make it to Outlook point(5 miles up) but just remember what goes up must come down so make the climb and RIP it back down. Word to the wise on this trail is be careful if you're not well versed at making quick and good line choices because the faster you go, the better There are a more than enough opportunities to launch your bike on this trail, just make sure you don’t have your rear locked out when you do it

All in all, the trip was amazing but it ended too quick. At least it's only a short drive from the Springs. We will definitely be back soon.

Ride and Smile
    Yep, pretty amazing isn't it!

mtbr member
    Glad you had a great time and come back for more... there is ALOT more!!
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

Jul 2008
    Sorry, got busy and forgot to reply. I think about Moab all the time and already have all the details worked out. As soon as I retire from the Military the hair grows, and I start looking for an opening at Poison Spider working on the fleet. Once I get hired on and find a pad to rest my head I will become that old guy on the trails with knarley hair and sick skills that all the kids talk about! Hey, a guy can dream can't he. Really though I had a great time in Moab and think the city is really laid back and chill I will recommend that trip to anyone I talk to and will definitely be back some day. Until that day I will polish up my riding skills and work towards getting a better bike(Tracer VP). Take it easy and have fun guys.

Members who have read this thread: 0