First time to Brian head- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

First time to Brian head

Heading to Brian head and staying at the resort for 6 days what is the riding like? Will a 4" full suspension 29er be good or should I take my 6" full suspension? Is it mostly downhill or can I do some good cross country riding? Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    6 days seems like a lot for Brian Head. Are you planning to head over to Thunder Mountain, Virgin River rim, Navajo lake, etc? These would be within and hour or a little less.

Trails tend to be kind of loose and rubbly. As I recall, some pretty good chunk on Dark Hollow.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks johnnyspoke...it's a family vacation as we are meeting the in-laws there. I would definitely check out thunder,Navajo lake, and the virgin river rim if they are worth it. I was looking forward to putting in some miles of pedaling and not just riding all downhills. Do you recommend checking out thunder, Navajo lake, and virgin river rim? Any other suggestions close by? Thanks really appreciate the feedback.

mtbr member
    Yes, I like those trails for pedaling. If you haven't run across these, here's a couple helpful links:

The Skid Map
    UtahMountainBiking Home Index

You can use skidmap to get oriented to where the trails are and utahmountainbiking for descriptions, directions to the trailhead, etc.

The more famous downhill trails at Brian head are actually shuttled. It's a two stage shuttle, meet at the base area, get driven to trail head, and then get picked up 2-3 hours later at the bottom and brought back to the base area. Last year you got one free lift ticket for the mountain for each shuttle you bought. Basically the shuttle does three trails, Blowhard, Dark Hollow and Bunker Creek. Dark Hollow and Bunker creek have a couple of different options mid route so you could mix it up. Not too sure on the mountain, the one trail I've done was fun enough, and I think they're working on some new stuff this season.

Hope that helps.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    You can cover Brian Head proper in 2 days.
    Best to do the classic BH shuttles and then branch out to Lowder Ponds, Thunder Mtn, Cassidy/Losee, Navajo, Virgin Rim.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    From what their website says the park trails on the Giant Steps side are closed. Has anyone ridden the three new park trails on the Navajo side?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by llll Hate llll View Post
    From what their website says the park trails on the Giant Steps side are closed. Has anyone ridden the three new park trails on the Navajo side?
    I've heard these trails are disappointing. The Giant Steps side is BUR-LY. Big bikes and armor highly recommended.

BH's big (only) attractions, are pretty technical. If you like that, you'll love BH. Blowhard Mountain, Dark Hollow and Bunker Creek are the biggies. All shuttled. Def 6" bike optimal. I don't know of much XC right in the area. As much as I enjoy BH, a weekend is plenty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I did not do Dark Hollow but Bunker Creek was a lot of fun. Left fork was fairly technical especially at high speed. Included in the shuttle was a one off lift ride up the Navajo. I did the trail "The descender" as it's their most difficult. It's a full flow trail with high berms and tabletops, doubles and so on. It's fun but nothing very technical.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The trails at the resort are an afternoon max- the rides to Panguitch and Parowan are much better! You can do the resort on a 4" but I think a 6" bike is the better choice for all of the trails in and around Brian Head- it's all pretty much downhill and the additional suspension makes a world of difference at the end of the day.