Favorite Wasatch Trail- Mtbr.com
    MTBR member
    Jan 2007

Favorite Wasatch Trail

Let's hear about your favorite trail in Northern Utah! I typically ride in Weber/Davis county, but PC has the best trails in my opinion. I like Mill D and Mid Mountain. What are your favorite trails; not the trails that you frequent most, but your favorite. I ride XC mostly, but would love to hear about all types of trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gotta be the crest.

But not the wussy shuttle way that most people ride it. I usually start at my house and climb the road to rattlesnake gluch. Up the pipeline till it spits me back out on the road. Up the road upper millcreek and then up the trail to dog lake. More up till you get to the top of the crest. I usually turn around at the radio towers. 4 or so hours up, and less then 1 to get home. Sweet.

And while we are on the subject if any of you are one of the riders that get snippy with me when you have to slow down coming down the crest becuase I am climbing it. F off. Just becuase you are a pansy and only ride down it does not make it a downhill only. If I had it my way they would close the road on the big cottonwood side, and the only way to ride the trail would be up and down.

The Wasatch crest is my fav ride in SLC. In second place is stage 2 of the e100.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    But not the wussy shuttle way that most people ride it. I usually start at my house and climb the road to rattlesnake gluch. Up the pipeline till it spits me back out on the road. Up the road upper millcreek and then up the trail to dog lake. More up till you get to the top of the crest. I usually turn around at the radio towers. 4 or so hours up, and less then 1 to get home. Sweet.

And while we are on the subject if any of you are one of the riders that get snippy with me when you have to slow down coming down the crest becuase I am climbing it. F off. Just becuase you are a pansy and only ride down it does not make it a downhill only. If I had it my way they would close the road on the big cottonwood side, and the only way to ride the trail would be up and down.

The Wasatch crest is my fav ride in SLC. In second place is stage 2 of the e100.
    Wow, you must be hardcore. How many Gu packets does it take to climb for 4 hours? Is it critical to carbo load the night before attempting a Crest out and back? Can it be done without Lycra? Does one need to have a jersy with pockts on the back and logos all over it?

I agree the Crest is the best in the Wasatch. But I prefer to take the "wussy shuttle way", climb to the radio towers, then come out Mill D back into Big Cottonwood, which is a much better descent, which is why I mountain bike, climbing is a necessary evil. Pipline is boring, descending Rattlesnake is cool but not worth the boringness of Pipeline.

The front and back of the MoPi are pretty cool too.

My $0.02

B
    Last edited by Bortis Yelltzen; 05-06-2007 at 06:57 PM.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Any west side Park City trail including the Crest for XC. To narrow that down a little: maybe climbing Sprio up to the Crest or descending John's and Sweeney's.

Probably Moose Hollow for a shuttle ride.

JMH

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I need to ride the crest, keep hearing about it. I'm thinking shuttle style though. We need to get a crew together and ride it soon.

Oh, and I'm new to the area, Bobsled and Dropout are my 2 favs so far, but I know there's soo much more around here that I need to checkout.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Remote and hard to get to -- Ridge 157. Some of the most rewarding riding there is.

A close second has to be a semi wimpy Crest ride -- Start @ Big Water, ride to Scott's Pass, drop into PC and head over to DV and have fun before heading back to Scott's Pass and heading back to the Big Water TH.

Longer is always better.

Luddite technophile
    Well, if the only access was Mill Creek, you could only ride it every other day. So, I don't agree with your wish that they start shutting down trail access.

That said, I do watch out for uphill riders (and hikers), and give them the courtesy of the right-of-way, as should everyone.

Talentless Hack
    I have to agree with pedalfarawy, the crest is great especially if you climb it. I haven't started from my house yet but I will this year. The crest isn't a difficult trail to ride up, especially if you park at the Big Water trailhead. There is no need to shuttle this. I would think you'd spend more time in the car setting up the shuttle than actually riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Crest is fun for sure, but with close to a 50-pound bike, I really can only talk myself into doing it a few times a year (and that is even taking the shuttle way). But very fun none the less.

Other great trails that I love to ride are Bruce (havenít got up there this season yet, so not sure of how well maintained the jumps and alike are), Squaw Peak (if you take the right turn offs it is epic with some fun features), and of course any of the trails at Deer Valley.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Payson and Wheeler Creek

I lived in Spanish Fork for a while, and payson canyon rules. Lots of good singletrack, and can be ridden as an 11 mi shuttle if you don't feel like pedaling uphill much.

I live in Davis county now, and my fav's up here are Wheeler Creek to Snowbasin, greenpond etc, and the Mueller park trail. Mueller is really crowded, but fun to ride. Wheeler is the trail I ride/enjoy the most. I ride rigid ss so i prefer smoother trails, no big drops, stunts, etc.

frog

Aug 2004
    My favorite xc loop is to start at park city, ride up sweenys, steps, then keystone and eventually get on the crest. Ride down the crest to the mid-mountain connecter, ride back to PCMR on the mid mountain and down spiro.

I guess not one trail, but one loop that is nearly all single track, and that part of the crest you can ride any day.

Pedalfaraway, keep in mind not everyone riding down the crest is shuttling, many started at their homes in Park City. Some will shuttle from Dan's back home, others will ride home. I hope you were tring to do some internet sarcasm that didn't come off well here, but if you didn't loose the cool guy attitude, it's not needed. The people posting here aren't the ones who are impeeding you climb up the crest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    Remote and hard to get to -- Ridge 157. Some of the most rewarding riding there is.

Longer is always better.
    Classic Wasatch trail and one of the best, riden that from Big Cottonwood to Sundance, great ride. Another one to check out is the Lambs Canyon variation off of the Crest trail then back into Millcreek....very nice....long, but sweet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    Classic Wasatch trail and one of the best, riden that from Big Cottonwood to Sundance, great ride. Another one to check out is the Lambs Canyon variation off of the Crest trail then back into Millcreek....very nice....long, but sweet.
    Steady,

Can you describe to me the Lambs Canyon route? How do access Lambs Canyon off the Crest? Do you continue North at the top of Millcreek canyon on the trail that heads down to the Mid-mountain and Trail of the Hunter? Do you descend from Lambs to Elbow Fork in Millcreek?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Alta to Brighton to Crest to Moose. Best ride ever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    Steady,

Can you describe to me the Lambs Canyon route? How do access Lambs Canyon off the Crest? Do you continue North at the top of Millcreek canyon on the trail that heads down to the Mid-mountain and Trail of the Hunter? Do you descend from Lambs to Elbow Fork in Millcreek?

Thanks
    The split is where you enter Millcreek, where the sign is for even/odd days....if you go right you enter the canyons ski resort then there is a short hike-a-bike up to the ridge and there is a trail dropping into Lambs. This is a sweet downhill to the road where you follow the road down for a bit and then climb...big climb up the other side of Lambs to Lambs canyon pass and then down Elbow Fork in Millcreek, which spits you out above Pipeline, then Pipeline down.

I do not remember the name of the trail out of Lambs and I now live in Colorado, otherwise I would show you the route. Be forwarned this is a big ride, with a ton of climbing in it...depending how fast you are expect it to take 4-7 hours. And if you want more, climb Mill F up to the crest instead of the Guard road. It is a sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    The split is where you enter Millcreek, where the sign is for even/odd days....if you go right you enter the canyons ski resort then there is a short hike-a-bike up to the ridge and there is a trail dropping into Lambs. This is a sweet downhill to the road where you follow the road down for a bit and then climb...big climb up the other side of Lambs to Lambs canyon pass and then down Elbow Fork in Millcreek, which spits you out above Pipeline, then Pipeline down.

I do not remember the name of the trail out of Lambs and I now live in Colorado, otherwise I would show you the route. Be forwarned this is a big ride, with a ton of climbing in it...depending how fast you are expect it to take 4-7 hours. And if you want more, climb Mill F up to the crest instead of the Guard road. It is a sweet ride.
    Thanks, Steady.

mtbr member
    My favorite XC loops on the Wasatch:

Southern Wasatch: Ridge Trail 157 (park at tibble fork reservior, take road to top of alpine loop, deer crest loop to 157, take that to Mud Springs, then Tibble fork trail back to car). Other loops available, but I just hate riding dutchman flats. ATV hell there.

SLC area: Park at Mill D, climb road to top of guardsman, drop Apex Trail to Mid Mountain, take Mid to Canyons resort, climb back over the ridge back up to the crest, take that to Big Water trail, to Dog Lake, then drop Mill D back to the car. It's a real fast 36 miles with no time wasting with shuttles. Also avoid crest trail traffic.

Ogden Area: Skyline Trail Loop (Lewis peak, then the saddle towards Ben Lomond, drop down to North Fork, and take pavement back to Car; 38 miles; shorter loops can also be made). Wheeler Creek/Snowbasin has a beautiful loops that can be made there, as big as 30 miles.

Members who have read this thread: 0