Favorite Tires for Southern Utah Trails- Mtbr.com
    Clyde

Favorite Tires for Southern Utah Trails

I have just picked up a hope pro2 / mavic 819 wheelset. QR up front and 10mm bolt-up on the back in red. So pretty

Now it's time to pick up / set up the appropriate tires. I live and ride in Utah. Ride dry rocky terrain. Some loose, some sandstone, some hardpack. I good climbing tire would be a plus. My trail weight is 230lbs. Tend to hit my 2 - 4 foot drops a little more in the back. Have been liking the Kenda Nevgals that came with my bike but have been getting too many pitch flats for my liking. Hope the tubeless setup will cure this problem.

I Will be riding Whiterim and Porcupine in the spring in Moab.

I'm tempted to keep the Nevgals up front and run them with some sealant. Is Stan's the way to go? or another brand? Has anyone run their Nevgals this way on 819s. Any issues with burping? Any issues on handling without a tube when it comes to sidewall rigidity running gup on a non UST tire?

So the big question is what to run on the back. Lost my tire review issue of Mountain Bike Action. I believe on the top of the UST list was Conti Mountains and Spec Bliss2s.

Thinking a 2.25 would be a plus over my current 2.1 for climbing and handling drops

So far I have the following options / considerations

Tires
    Schwalbe
    Rocket Ron 2.25 evo / tubeless 590g

Hutchinson
    Python 2.10 UST 580g

Maxxis
    High Roller 2.1 UST 665g

Continental
    Race King 2.2 Protection 480g
    Race King 2.2 UST 600g
    Mountain King 2.2 Protection 580g
    Mountain King 2.2 UST 700g
    Speed King Protection 2.3 580g

Kenda
    Nevegal 2.1 UST 760g
    Nevegal 2.35 UST 860g
    Nevegal 2.1 DTC 600g (currently on bike F&R)

Anything I'm missing or should be dropped from consideration?

Thanks for the help up front.

NOT Team Sanchez
    If you keep weight and rolling resistance down but still have a nice high volume wide tire look no further than the Maxxis ADvantage 2.4, they're single ply, but high volume so they don't pinch. I don't care about weight so I run 2.5 dual ply super tacky's and they hook up like nobody's business !!!!!!!!!!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I run the same rim/hub as you do (thru-axle in front). They rule. I would recommend Maxxis High Roller 2.35 LUST front and rear. I've destroyed one rear rim and two tires during high speed forays - not in Moab. I think this is best avoided by being a little anal about checking your tire pressures before - this seems like it caused my problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Scratch Python off your list. It has no lateral grip whatsoever and will be aweful on rocky terrain. Its a fast, light tire which is great on relatively smooth terrain and sand, but nothing else.

I'd rather be biking...
    Im a huge fan for kenda small block 8's. They are awesome on slickrock and hardpack trails. not totally great for sandy areas. I run 2.35 and they roll smooth and fast and are glued to the ground. have a group of friends that all run tubeless with them and have no complaints. I still run around 25-30 psi and haven't had a pinch flat all year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good call Shelbster. Forgot about the the block 8's - we call em sketch block 8's. They roll SUPER fast and hook up remarkably well. Can get a little rowdy in the flat corners (especially compared to high rollers) but they make up for it with excitement! Consider running this as a back tire with a meatier front for more predictable drifting and keep the fast rolling.

I'd rather be biking...
    nevagals in the front and small block in the back

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    nevagals in the front and small block in the back

That will be my setup come spring. I have been running foldable 2.35 Dual compound Nevegals. I ride at about 235 pounds also on my Reign. I have not had pinch flat issues on my WTB rims.

Ride and Smile
    2.5 High rollers wire bead are nice for southern utah. Did a ride with the 25lb bike crowd from moonlight meadows down megladon and every one of them flatted at least once. A friend summed it up nicely when he said, "you get used to doing things you just can't do on light tires" But then again, it is an extra 2 pounds. I'm wondering if I can get the same kind of performance from a 1000 gram tire?

mtbr member
    I have been running the Cont. Mt King 2.4 UST since early spring. Love them. Great on rocky, hard pack or slick rock.Good ware and seems to shead mud well also. No flats all summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    You really need a heavier tire for your weight, 500 gram tires will never work well with 230+bike lbs. They will pinch, roll off your rim, wad in your fork, and you will break your shoulder in the middle of porcupine rim because of gram counting. Get dh tires they have thicker casing, and steel bead for a reason. Check the clydesdale forum, even if you lost 30 lbs (the weight of a entire mtn bike) you would still be heavy enough for a 1000+ gram tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Andrew makes a good point. I glossed right over your weight! On the other hand, many DH casing tires are 2.5 and may not give a good profile, seat or feel on the little 819's. Consider my original suggestion of LUST High Roller 2.35s or Maxxis also makes a 2.35 High Roller DH casing tire that I have used personally and can attest to. I hear the Nevegal comes in a 2.35 UST heavy/DH casing. . .

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    Andrew makes a good point. I glossed right over your weight! On the other hand, many DH casing tires are 2.5 and may not give a good profile, seat or feel on the little 819's. Consider my original suggestion of LUST High Roller 2.35s or Maxxis also makes a 2.35 High Roller DH casing tire that I have used personally and can attest to. I hear the Nevegal comes in a 2.35 UST heavy/DH casing. . .
    I think the 2.5 Maxxis is more comparable to the 2.35 Nevegal. The 2.35 High Roller is very small

Members who have read this thread: 0