Fatties in Ogden- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fatties in Ogden

I want to start off by apologizing. The Utah page isn't super active, but the majority of the traffic is from outsiders asking about trail conditions and recommendations. I can see how that can be annoying to all you locals that continue to answer the same questions time and time again. Props for coming back and actually replying to threads just like the one I've started here LOL. I can tell how much the trails in this region mean to you. I'm sure the amount of traffic grows each year and that can get depressing as well. So secondly, I want to apologize because my family and I are moving out there and we plan to enjoy your amazing trails too! I wanted to put this first so you guys know I'm self-aware and not a complete noob, just a noob to riding in UT.

Now to my point, I currently live/ride in Indiana which is probably polar opposite of what is out there. I know I'm best off saving my questions about trails, bikes, and gear till I get out there but I'm really stocked and have some time on my hands. I'm liquidation a lot of my bike stuff for the move and bringing one bike and it's a Salsa Beargrease. I'll be arriving in January so I figured I'll focus on winter riding and address the other seasons once I'm there.

For trail riding, do you guys recommend studded tires? Here they are essential because our temps fluctuate so much that most of the snow melts and refreezes every day. I know some groomed trails don't allow anything smaller then 3.8, but would an aggressive plus tire be ok for a light rider(my wife)? I'm trying to cut down on wheelsets and tire's because I'm just not going to have the room.

If you have any advice to keep me out of trouble there, I'd love to hear it. Thanks for having me and can't wait to meet some of you on the trail!

Your Best Friend
    Welcome to Utah. Most fat tire riders around here do not use studs. We get enough fresh snow days and even our packed snow rides great without it. Icy days are few and far between. The few groomed areas do require 3.8's. Not to many of those and there are plenty of other places to ride. Our snow is deep enough and soft enough that I can't imagine trying to ride it on a + bike.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I live in Ogden and have never wished I had studded tires. To be honest I rarely ride the fatbike, the trails that are ridden are usually ridden enough that the snow becomes packed pretty quickly and the skinny tire bike does just fine. There is a groomed trail network up by Liberty that is fun, but I don't recall seeing anything posted about 3.8" requirements. January and February are typically the coldest months to ride and I still see lots of people on the benches riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback! I may unload some studded tire's and pick up another fat Wheelset there if my wife ends up riding with me on the groomers.

Now I just have to fight the urge to buy a FS rig before spring!

mtbr member
    I haven't needed studs here, but have moved to as wide and aggressive tires as my bike will fit. Powder is more of a problem than ice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ger View Post
    I haven't needed studs here, but have moved to as wide and aggressive tires as my bike will fit. Powder is more of a problem than ice.
    Thanks, for the advice!

I didn't do it
    Hey jpfurn, I don't have any advice on the fatty but welcome to Utah! You're going to love it here.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'm very anxious to check out the trails! It looks like I'll be able to leave the plus wheels on for a while longer with these warmer temps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looks like today was last good day to ride this year, supposed to get 8 - 10" of snow in the mountains by this weekend.

Your Best Friend
    Or its the start of awesome riding. Considering this is a "fatties in Ogden" thread.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You're going to LOVE FatBiking here. I'm just getting ready to head out on the Fatty. No studs required, and as these guys have said you'll want to go full fat. I run the widest ground control tires they make. You may be able to get away with a + bike in certain areas and certain conditions, but I wouldn't count on it. That said, I'm about an hour south of Ogden so I'm not familiar with what grooming efforts go on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk