Fat Bike Ride - Sunday 11/27- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fat Bike Ride - Sunday 11/27

The last two Sundays I've ridden Glenwild on a Pugsley/Fat Bike, it's been very fun, but I haven't seen any other bikes or even tracks. I've been riding from the main parking lot up to the radio towers and back, along with a few other short out and backs. The snow on the lower sections of the loop has been minimal and packed, but on the upper sections I've been braking trail through about 6". I don't know how much snow they got this week, but I'm planning on riding again tomorrow.

If anyone would like to join me, fat bike or not (29er with low tire pressure works well, I will break trail in the deeper snow) let me know in this post. Looking at the predicted weather for Sunday I think starting about 10 am looks good.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

DOH!
    Hey Scott. I've been up there regularly on my Pug, yesterday (Sunday) morning being the most recent ride (starting from main parking, CW loop w/spur to tower; I stayed off the back side, as it's not tracked enough to make it a decent ride for even fat tires).

Unless GW gets more snow, and it gets colder, you absolutely positively need to be done riding before things begin to thaw (found that out Sat). 10am is the latest you want to be on-trail if the temps are going to get above freezing.

The Pug doesn't rut the trail like some of the skinny tire damage that's already been done in thawed conditions, but pedaling the roughly 90lbs of mud that WILL accumulate on your Larry's or Endo's will make you want to stab yourself in the eye with a fork.

Count me in if we the weather is colder and/or snowier. If it's not, I'll probably still be up there, just earlier, before the tread turns into a sticky mess.

mtbr member
    SS,

I was up there at 10am on Sunday, just incase someone showed up to ride. I assumed they had gotten more snow last week, but it must have been rain and melted most of the snow. I was pretty bummed. I rode some and found snow on the Bob's Basin side, but took the road back to avoid the thawing conditions.

Oh well, we have all winter for the snow to set in and make the fat bike riding good.

This weekend, if the weather holds, I'm going to try and get out to Flintstone for some DH runs.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

DOH!
    Ping me anytime you're planning a fat ride on the weekend, Scott!

Hopefully we'll get some snow, Round Valley will come online, and we'll have more options soon. It also might be fun to do a snow Mirror Lake Hwy ride sometime, once it gets groomed and the sleds pack it down. If nothing else it looks like it's going to be cold enough for GW to stay frozen, so muck won't be such a concern...

As of 7:30am this morning my weekend plans changed. I now have a 50ft horizontal XMas tree across my entire front yard, courtesy of our little "wind event". The only thing I'll be rocking this weekend is a chainsaw.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    SS,

This weekend, if the weather holds, I'm going to try and get out to Flintstone for some DH runs.
    I was thinking about that myself, is it just hike-a-bike to the top?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I was thinking about that myself, is it just hike-a-bike to the top?
    My understanding is that guys with full DH bikes just push back up the trails, but if you have a FR/AM bike then there is a pretty easy pedal up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders View Post
    Ping me anytime you're planning a fat ride on the weekend, Scott!

Hopefully we'll get some snow, Round Valley will come online, and we'll have more options soon. It also might be fun to do a snow Mirror Lake Hwy ride sometime, once it gets groomed and the sleds pack it down. If nothing else it looks like it's going to be cold enough for GW to stay frozen, so muck won't be such a concern...

As of 7:30am this morning my weekend plans changed. I now have a 50ft horizontal XMas tree across my entire front yard, courtesy of our little "wind event". The only thing I'll be rocking this weekend is a chainsaw.
    Bummer about the tree, but better in the yard than on the house or your car. I rode the BST today, but I'm thinking of heading up to Glenwild tomorrow to check out possibilities of Flying Dog.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Bummer about the tree, but better in the yard than on the house or your car. I rode the BST today, but I'm thinking of heading up to Glenwild tomorrow to check out possibilities of Flying Dog.

Scott, did you head up to Flying Dog yesterday? If so, how was it? Think a low pressure 29er would survive?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    Scott, did you head up to Flying Dog yesterday? If so, how was it? Think a low pressure 29er would survive?
    I rode it on Sunday about 10am - 12pm. It was cold I think the temps were about 20 degrees. I started at the Jeremy Ranch Elementary parking area and worked my way pretty far up. As you would expect the farther up I went the deeper the snow got and the narrower the packed trail became. Eventually I could only proceed by walking North facing sections and riding most others. I made it at least 2/3 of the way to the top. I took a easy pace to the top (not much of a choice when climbing with a Pugsley) to keep from getting sweaty. I saw 2 other hikers, but otherwise had the trail to myself. The descent back down was out right fun and took a lot longer than during summer conditions, making the climb well worth it.

The 3 previous years I've ridden a 29er with larger tires at lower pressures. A 29er is definitely faster on packed frozen trails, but not as fun on the descents. I think you could make it 1/2 way up to the top if conditions haven't changed. Most of the rest of GW would be good riding. The exposed dirt sections of the trails will be muddy if the temps get above freezing, so make sure the trails are frozen.

I did take a few pictures, but I need to get them off my phone.