Fail.....- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fail.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Fail.....

Decided to hit up one the local trails here in Bountiful - Muller Park to Canyon Creek.

Well, just a little ways in I hear/feel this sound like something is binding or about to bind up. Next thing I know "SNAP" and this is what I see.

Cell phone pictures -

Hum, I wonder how it managed to do this?

Lucky for me I wasn't injured and I had a bike tool on me to remove the derailer and was able to coast the bike back downhill. Looks like the biking season is over for me since this bike has been giving me problems for the past 2 years either with the gears, chain or the derailers.

Time to save up for a new bike.

mtbr member
    I'm generally a proponent of spending as much money as humanly possible, but couldn't you just get a new hanger?
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeboater
    I'm generally a proponent of spending as much money as humanly possible, but couldn't you just get a new hanger?

True I guess I can alays get a cheap one for now to replace it while I look for a new bike.

Talentless Hack
    A spare hanger should be in your bag for situations like this. Also a hanger tool that straightens out a slightly bent hanger will save you hours of frustration with crappy shifting. Just something I learned the hard way. But I would use that excuse for a new bike in heart beat if I thought it would work with the wife.
    Sierra Club Sucks

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    You should get a breakaway rear derailleur...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well, I eneded up just going to the local mountain bike shop here in Bountiful/Woods Cross and picked a new derailer. It's similar to the one I broke and didn't really cost anything. I just have to either head down to another shop either in SLC or Ogden to pickup the hanger since the shop doesn't carry those parts for Trek's.

At least I can keep biking and continue to save up for a new one.

Members who have read this thread: 0