Everything rideable??? (MOAB)- Mtbr.com
    locked - time out

Everything rideable??? (MOAB)

Be out there as of friday. Wanna hit Slickrock, porcupine, sovergn, maybe amassa back.

Any heads up would really help.

Thanks

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    Be out there as of friday. Wanna hit Slickrock, porcupine, sovergn, maybe amassa back.

Any heads up would really help.

Thanks
    I was curious about Sovereign also,I will let you know tomorrow.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    I was in Moab 2 weeks ago and we did Slickrock, Soveriegn and Porcupine. All were fine. You could tell that porcupine had been muddy up until recently, but it was in prime shape. The new trails above porcupine (Kokopelli, UPS, etc) are still in snow and mud. There has been some precip since I was there, so you might want to call a moab bike shop for up-to-the-minute trail reports.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by bogey
    I was in Moab 2 weeks ago and we did Slickrock, Soveriegn and Porcupine. All were fine. You could tell that porcupine had been muddy up until recently, but it was in prime shape. The new trails above porcupine (Kokopelli, UPS, etc) are still in snow and mud. There has been some precip since I was there, so you might want to call a moab bike shop for up-to-the-minute trail reports.
    thanks for the update. Will call one of the shops before I head out.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

no moisture on sovereign

Quote Originally Posted by moment
    thanks for the update. Will call one of the shops before I head out.

It was absolutely perfect,if anything it could use some moisture on it.
    upper Pork probably not so good,everything else should be fine.
    I've been inside too long.

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    I rode Sovereign this morning and it was perfect. Gold Bar Rim/Golden spike/Poison yesterday was super and slickrock of course is good - rode that on my SS on Monday. I talked with someone who did Amasa Back this morning and it is good too. Porcupine has a ton of snow up on the ridge. I wouldn't bother with that.

locked - time out
    Thanks for the update. Hope the rain holds off this weekend. Need to ride!!!!!!!

locked - time out
    Rode Slickrock and had a blast. Weatherr was perfect. Hope that the rain holds out.

locked - time out
    Amasa back today. Weather is still holding. Another great day of riding and I'm not going home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I rode Porcupine yesterday

I have been here all week and the weather has been great as well as the riding. Yesteday I rode from town and hit Slickrock and then continued out Sand Flats Road to Porcupine. The road was in good shape, dry and fast. The first half of the climb from the stock tanks was a little muddy in spots but very rideable. There is a section of double track with a hilside to your right as you are climbing that was snow covered and required walking. Basically anything rock was clear, anything dirt was holding snow. In another 3-4 days it should be totally rideable. After walking that double track it was on again off again rideable. Beyond the last view point into Castle Valley descending was clear and awesome. Moab Rim was also good all the way through the meadows. Today I rode Flat Pass from town and then through town to Amassa Back and down Jacksons's Trail. All of the riding was great. Linda, I rode Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike, Poison Spider from town on Tuesday. What day were you up there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

that's a lot of riding

Cornfish, you can put in more miles daily than I can, that's for sure. What bike did you take on your rides (especially Gold Bar)? On all your rides, for that matter. I see that you've got 5 bikes to choose from. And how tough is Gold Bar for an experienced rider to find his way through, the first time he's on Gold Bar? I've had guys at bike shops tell me not to try it without someone leading the way who knows what he's doing. Not the place to lose the trail, which I've heard is very easy to do on GB. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I rode my 29er Sugar

I did one road ride out Arches on my road bike. Other than that I rode everything on my Gary Fisher 29 Sugar with a Maverick DUC (approx 5 " front and rear). Gold Bar is not that hard to follow, as long as you don't mind losing the trail now and then. I ended up riding Gold Bar one more time before I left so I could go down the Portal. My goal was to follow the bike trail that stays close to the rim. The advice I got was whenever you lost the trail, go closer to the rim. Whenever I did that I eventually picked the trail up, but I did a little circling/ wandering around. If all else fails you can just follow the Gold Bar or Golden Spike jeep trails. Those routes are also fun, but it works you a lot more. The technical climbing moves are more physical, and the trail keeps going away from the rim (losing vertical) and bringing you back up. Both times I rode Gold Bar was from town, and the first time I rode the Bar M loop before I rode out to Gold Bar. I did not consider the loop to be extremely tough. From town going down the Portal was only 32 miles. I don't know what kind of riding you are acustomed to, but I would go for it if you want. Just get to the rim as directly as you can, and look for hand painted greyish blue stripes that mark the Gold Bar Rim bike trail. Bring lots of food and water and have fun!

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfish
    I have been here all week and the weather has been great as well as the riding. Yesteday I rode from town and hit Slickrock and then continued out Sand Flats Road to Porcupine. The road was in good shape, dry and fast. The first half of the climb from the stock tanks was a little muddy in spots but very rideable. There is a section of double track with a hilside to your right as you are climbing that was snow covered and required walking. Basically anything rock was clear, anything dirt was holding snow. In another 3-4 days it should be totally rideable. After walking that double track it was on again off again rideable. Beyond the last view point into Castle Valley descending was clear and awesome. Moab Rim was also good all the way through the meadows. Today I rode Flat Pass from town and then through town to Amassa Back and down Jacksons's Trail. All of the riding was great. Linda, I rode Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike, Poison Spider from town on Tuesday. What day were you up there?
    Tuesday!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

!

We were up there at the same time! Great day, wasn't it?

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    You must have been going so fast I didn't see you

So what's up next for you? Are you gonna do Kokopelli this year?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I am not sure about Kokopelli

I am racing the 24 Hours of Spokane solo, and the Cascade Cream Puff SS. I will be doing a few local shorter races until then. I would like to do the Kokopelli someday, but I am not sure if it will be this year. Once I make a comitment I run with it, so it is hard to say for sure! How about you?

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    I'll race some local xc stuff on my SS but my next big show is Kokopelli. After that Trans Rockies is calling my name loud. E-100 again too. Can't miss that one now I know the course

I'll hit Cream Puff one of these years. That one looks fun.

Good luck at your 24-hr solo.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Looks like more snow in SLC this weekend, how is UPS doing?

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Didn't ride it personally, but as of Saturday night talked to some folks that rode it Saturday and said it was dry, but there were snow patches on the side of the trail in spots. Hazard, Koko and everything above it is going to be a while. And it was raining hard when we left Moab at 1 pm today, snowing in the La Sals.

Might head back down in late April or early May mmmk.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Holy Resurrected Thread, Batman. March 2006? That was one broken wrist and three shoulder injuries ago. Ah, those were the days.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Members who have read this thread: 0