Everything I wanted to know about SLC but was afraid to ask..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Everything I wanted to know about SLC but was afraid to ask..

But what the heck, why not. I will be a transplant arriving from the east in the middle of May. I know it is getting crowded out there so I apologize in advance. I am a cool guy though, I promise. One of the major reasons, if not the main reason, I am heading out there is for the riding opportunities in and around SLC and Utah and the surrounding areas. I have been doing a lot of research. I know the same questions get asked here over and over so hopefully these are a little different. Most of these are in regards to stuff easily accessible to SLC What do i consider accessible? Not sure. Out here I have about 5-6 trails (about 12-18 mile loops) i usually ride that take about 50min-1.5 hours to drive to and that is doable for a day trip I suppose.
    Probably will be living in a share Downtown or the Avenues. Basically moving out your way for the riding with the intent to go to UofU for exercise science. Bringing my DJ bike, Banshee Spitfire and road bike. No car but will get one after a month two i would imagine. As a native NYCer who just his license 2 years ago at 28 this is very, very exciting.
    So without further ado...Here we go:

-What is the longest downhill section near/ SLC? How long does it take to descend?
    -What is the gnarliest trail?
    -How many good trails can i access from an 1hr drive?
    -How long is the longest climb?
    -Any good pumptracks?
    -I was told there are about 7 lift access mountains within 45 min of SLC. True?
    -Do they open the lifts for bikes in the summer?
    -Are they worth it? ( I know Deer Valley is..I rode there last May and thought it was the best thing ever)
    -Is I-street the only DJ spot around?
    -Coming from the Northeast, what am i going to love about the riding out there?
    -What might I not like?
    -What will i miss from my trails back home (if you have ridden both...i am in NY/NJ area)?
    -Do you guys travel down to other areas "nearby" frequently? Moab, Fruita, Nevada, Sun Valley, St. George etc...
    -Does riding your bike around SLC really suck that bad? Bear in mind i am from NYC and was a bike messenger in high school.
    -Are there a lot of female riders out on the trails?
    -How are Utah trails different from Colorado. They seem similar, yet not.
    -I know Utah may not be as diverse as NYC but is it very racially segregated or not so much?
    -Why does housing seem so affordable (rentals)?
    -If i want to race downhill, are their options?
    -What about XC races?
    -Do i need a car with AWD for the winter months if i plan to snowboard?

That is the bulk of it. I have a good friend who has living out there for a few years but he mostly rides I-street and skateparks so he is of no help with most of this stuff.

Hope these questions are okay and a bit different from the usually.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by cskolnick; 03-28-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Homer's problem child
    Don't worry Utards, I got this. See replies in red.

Quote Originally Posted by cskolnick
    -What is the longest downhill section near/ SLC? How long does it take to descend?
    Bobsled, depends on your raditude
    Bobs Sleigh
    Bobsled and the BST, maybe one more
    Just shuttle Bobsled
    -Any good pumptracks?
    Who needs pumptracks when you have the Bobsled?
    Who needs lift acess when there is Bobs Leigh?
    See above about Bobsled
    -Are they worth it? ( I know Deer Valley is..I rode there last May and thought it was the best thing ever)
    I think you should probably just ride Bobsled
    No,there are also jumps on Bobsled
    It depends, have you ever been in a Bobsled
    -What might I not like?
    Any trail other than Bobsled
    -What will i miss from my trails back home (if you have ridden both...i am in NY/NJ area)?
    That you rode them for 28 years before finding the Bobsled
    -Do you guys travel down to other areas "nearby" frequently? Moab, Fruita, Nevada, Sun Valley, St. George etc...
    Only late winter or early spring when Bobsled is muddy
    -Does riding your bike around SLC really suck that bad? Bear in mind i am from NYC and was a bike messenger in high school.
    Did you know you could ride to Bobsled from the city?
    You know why we call it Bob's Lay?
    Colorado trails are in Colorado, and Utah trails are all Bobsled
    -I know Utah may not be as diverse as NYC but is it very racially segregated or not so much?
    Even the Jamaicans Bobsled
    Everything gets pricier the closer to Bobsled you get, that and Temple Square
    PM slcrockymountainrider about our Bobsled Derby series
    -What about XC races?
    PM slcrockymountainrider about our XC Bobsled Derby series
    Why, get studded tires and schred Bobsled year round

That is the bulk of it. I have a good friend who has living out there for a few years but he mostly rides I-street and skateparks so he is of no help with most of this stuff.

Hope these questions are okay and a bit different from the usually.
    Thanks!
    Hope that helps, if not there is always the search function and the 8 million other threads in this forum addressing this issue. And also utahmountainbiking.com

Peace and Phil Wood Grease!
    BY

P.S. You forgot the [sweet blog] and [/sweet blog] tags.
    P.P.S I'm assuming since you are not from Utah you have a sense of humor.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Check out Utahmountainbiking.com for your trail questions, and pay particular attention to the Wasatch Crest. I'm a CT transplant myself;sometimes I miss the trees and roots of East coast trails. There are actually about 11 resorts within 45-60 minutes of SLC, but nothing especially great for DH. Expect to do a lot of climbing on the Utah trails compared to NY. Check out the Pie, Ruths Diner, Squatters, and Epic for eats and drinks. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen

Hope that helps, if not there is always the search function and the 8 million other threads in this forum addressing this issue. And also utahmountainbiking.com

BY

So what your saying is to also bring a sled of some sort. Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    First, you are going to have to adapt to the altitude. You will not be riding 18 mile loops through the Wasatch Mountains. So your going to have to chill. Based upon the amount of neurotic questions you asked, your going to have to adapt to the slower pace of the west and chill the hell out. If you come out here all New York/Jersey/East Coast aggressive, no one is going to think that you are cool, especially if you are slowing down the crew due to your inability to get enough oxygen up at 11,000 feet.

Second, do not come out west and act like you are bringing civilization and enlightenment to the West. We know we are redneck and we have ammo to back it up.

Third, there are more trails in Utah than you can ride in a lifetime. I do not know if you have traveled out west much and ridden the trails out here, but the technical level may blow your mind. I have met dudes from back east that think they were pretty hard core mountain bikers until they came to Moab and the local 8 year old made them look like kooks. Ever heard of Moab?

Fourth, yes you will need a 4X4 to ski and get around. Just make sure it is not a Subaru with the Coexist sticker, too cliche.

Fifth, if anyone attempted to answer all of your biking questions, it would be a waste of time. There is not enough time or maps that would orient you properly. Just plan on getting lost, perhaps injured, and take a lot of water. Please do not show up out here wearing the latest in spandex.

Sixth, the difference between Utah and Colorado is that Colorado has one town that likes east coast attitude . . . Boulder

Finally, people out west are very nice and friendly, much more so than New York, so keep the east coast attitude in check and you will stunned by the kindness. Act east coast at your own risk.

I get it that you are excited about your future move out this way, but take it easy, be humble, be nice, not hyper and you will never go back east. You can trust this advice, because I have several New York friends here in Utah that would never go back to New York.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie
    . There are actually about 11 resorts within 45-60 minutes of SLC, but nothing especially great for DH.
    Really? 11 resorts and no great DH? That sounds crazy to me. Whats up with that?

mtbr member
    All your answers here: UtahMountainBiking.com
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Punta Lobos
    First, you are going to have to adapt to the altitude. You will not be riding 18 mile loops through the Wasatch Mountains. So your going to have to chill. Based upon the amount of neurotic questions you asked, your going to have to adapt to the slower pace of the west and chill the hell out. If you come out here all New York/Jersey/East Coast aggressive, no one is going to think that you are cool, especially if you are slowing down the crew due to your inability to get enough oxygen up at 11,000 feet.

Second, do not come out west and act like you are bringing civilization and enlightenment to the West. We know we are redneck and we have ammo to back it up.

Third, there are more trails in Utah than you can ride in a lifetime. I do not know if you have traveled out west much and ridden the trails out here, but the technical level may blow your mind. I have met dudes from back east that think they were pretty hard core mountain bikers until they came to Moab and the local 8 year old made them look like kooks. Ever heard of Moab?

Fourth, yes you will need a 4X4 to ski and get around. Just make sure it is not a Subaru with the Coexist sticker, too cliche.

Fifth, if anyone attempted to answer all of your biking questions, it would be a waste of time. There is not enough time or maps that would orient you properly. Just plan on getting lost, perhaps injured, and take a lot of water. Please do not show up out here wearing the latest in spandex.

Sixth, the difference between Utah and Colorado is that Colorado has one town that likes east coast attitude . . . Boulder

Finally, people out west are very nice and friendly, much more so than New York, so keep the east coast attitude in check and you will stunned by the kindness. Act east coast at your own risk.

I get it that you are excited about your future move out this way, but take it easy, be humble, be nice, not hyper and you will never go back east. You can trust this advice, because I have several New York friends here in Utah that would never go back to New York.
    That was awesome, thanks.
    Just curious, what is it to act "east coast"?

mtbr member
    Really? 11 resorts and no great DH? That sounds crazy to me. Whats up with that?
    The ski resorts in Utah don't really do jack in the summers.....that is what it is all about. Even in Colorado it is getting better for DH better than Utah anyway....but still nothing like a Whistler.

I have lived in both Colorado and Utah and they are very different in a lot of ways. They both have mountains but that is about the only similarity between the two.

Do you ski? The skiing is the best in Utah....the riding on the Wasatch Front is good but really skiing and snowboarding are king there especially in the Cottonwoods.

Picture Unrelated
    Depends on your definition of downhill and how fast you ride. You can get a long decent from the Crest to Pipeline, but it's not all downhill.
    Plenty of gnar around, don't worry about it
    Probably somewhere near 1000 miles of trails available within an hour drive of SLC
    I wouldn't bother, but if you climbed up Snowbird it will take you up 3000 vertical feet. Closer to 6000 if you start at the base of the canyon (for whatever reason).
    -Any good pumptracks?
    Probably, but I'm not sure where any good public ones are
    There are actually 11 mountains with lifts within about 45 minutes of SLC but only Deer Valley is even close to a mountain with DH terrain. It's good enough for a nice escape from the valley to do a bit of riding, but it's no Diablo/Highland/Whistler/any other mountain with a bike park.
    Yes, to my knowledge Deer Valley, Park City, Canyons, Snowbasin, Snowbird, Solitude, and Wolf Mountain all permit bikes on the lift during the summer season.
    Deer Valley season pass is pretty cheap and a good way to get out of the valley, but if you think DV is good, go to Colorado; you'll loose your mind.
    Nope, but you know DJ spots; they rarely get spilled on the interwebz. Eagle Mountain and Trailside Park have begun bike parks (not like the lift served ones though, parks that are designed for bikes) with DJ lines and little obstacles which is a fun way to blow an hour or so.
    I'm from PA originally and I like the variety and sheer volume of trails here. One day you can be ripping buffed singletrack in the Wasatch and the next day you could be in the chunk of Moab or St. George.
    -What might I not like?
    Most trails are really buffed out, not nearly as many rocks and roots. The challenges are different, you'll have to get used to that.
    At first, you'll miss trails that change elevation frequently. You'll find our trails tend to go up then come back down. Not a ton of rides that meander at a relatively constant elevation.
    As much as my time off from work allows. Best part of living in SLC is your proximity to so many amazing spots both on and off the bike. If you're a skiier, you're in for a treat.
    You were an NYC bike messenger? you'll be fine. I actually think this is one of the better city layouts for riding a bike in. The problem in the ****ing oblivious drivers that surround you.
    Yes, but don't expect to pick up on the trail, they're probably faster than you.
    Wow, am I still answering these... Both locations can provide the same basic riding experience, you have desert riding and high altitude riding in both. I haven't had the opportunity to ride in Colorado outside of Grand Junction and Fruita, so mine is not a great opinion on this.
    You can't segregate what you don't have. I think you need some sort of diversity to merit segregation.
    Because you're from NYC
    Check out Go-Ride for information
    -What about XC races?
    Among many others you have the Intermountain Cup and Park City Point to Point
    Nope, you'll be fine with a 2wd car most days. LCC closes frequently and both LCC and BCC have a tendency to restrict travel to 4wd cars or cars with chains. Easy solution is to take the ski buses up the canyons or go to one of the other resorts. I'll be happy to recommended anywhere but Snowbird for everyone else to go skiing.
    You'll find the Utah section of this forum is where useful information goes to die then be ridiculed and buried under inside jokes. utahmountainbiking.com is a bit better. Good luck with your transfer.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Homer's problem child
    Just curious, what is it to act "east coast"?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Search for the Humdinger thread and you will learn pretty much everything you need to know about the Utah forum on MTBR. You may get different answers than what you hope for but it's like the thrill of panning for nuggets in the gravel of a river bed. And the inside jokes are all taken from the forum, not too much mystery there. But on a serious note, I think the acceptable question count (if you want serious answers) on here is about 12 per year rather than 21 per thread.

You'll likely have a great time if you are moving out here to ride and enjoy the outdoors. That's the best reason to be here - the amazing access to radness. If you move here looking for urban culture and progressive politics, you will be sorely disappointed. But if you like hanging out with smart, mellow folks, the bike scene here is hard to match.

You already have the correct bikes for enjoying life out here. Maybe a FR/DH bike down the road but the number of times you will truly need it are limited. Road riding is pretty good here.

Park City has some good dirt jumps and about 3 or 4 pumptracks now.

Lastly, you should consider a nickname. I would like to suggest "Sand Panther" but you can select something else if you like.

EDIT: On second thought, no. Your nickname is Sand Panther.

JMH
    Last edited by JMH; 03-30-2011 at 08:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    You'll find the Utah section of this forum is where useful information goes to die then be ridiculed and buried under inside jokes. utahmountainbiking.com is a bit better. Good luck with your transfer.
    +1. I had never put people on my ignore list, until I started reading the posts in the Utah sub forum here.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I will probably get heckled for trying to answer your questions, but despite this forum you will find most people in Utah are really nice and helpful and it is a great place.
    -What is the longest downhill section near/ SLC? How long does it take to descend? This questions is hard to answer, in a place with 12,000 ft+ peaks vertical will not be an issue. There is enough vertical you will hope for some uphill so you can rest. Try the Wasatch Crest for a nice intro to "long downhill section"
    -What is the gnarliest trail?Again, so many trails and that is a person preference question. The Little Cottonwood Dh was pretty gnarly, but it is now closed and no one in Utah would ever disregard the USFS, so maybe the Bountiful Bomber, but again person preference
    -How many good trails can i access from an 1hr drive?More than you can ride in one summer
    -How long is the longest climb?Again, this question doesn't really work, there are a ton of climbs here where you lungs will be burning, your legs will feel like jello and you will probably puke when you get to the top. Wasatch Crest will give you a good feel and intro.
    -Any good pumptracks?Someone said check Park City, agreed
    -I was told there are about 7 lift access mountains within 45 min of SLC. True?11 ski resorts, but skiing is king. This is one place we are really lacking. Hopefully this will improve, but right now Deer Valley is the only real option, and it is kind of lacking
    -Do they open the lifts for bikes in the summer? Deer Valley
    -Is I-street the only DJ spot around?Park City, but I street is really pretty fun. I think Draper is going to put some dirt jumps in this summer
    -Coming from the Northeast, what am i going to love about the riding out there?That depends on you
    -What might I not like?Again, that is up to you
    -Do you guys travel down to other areas "nearby" frequently? Moab, Fruita, Nevada, Sun Valley, St. George etc...Yes, I would suggest checking out all of them and more. So much diversity of climate and geology, it is really cool
    -Does riding your bike around SLC really suck that bad? Bear in mind i am from NYC and was a bike messenger in high school.I have never really had a big problem. Road riding is exploding here, so you are seeing more bike lanes etc.
    -Are there a lot of female riders out on the trails?Women aren't allowed on our trails. Men only. I don't know if you are asking if the trails will be a great place to meet girls, but there are some female riders, but I haven't ever tried hitting on any of them while riding
    -How are Utah trails different from Colorado. They seem similar, yet not.Well, Utah has a ton of Mormons. It is pretty conservative.You can come and complain about it, or appreciate it for what it is. Your choice.
    -I know Utah may not be as diverse as NYC but is it very racially segregated or not so much?Well, we don't have "whites only" bathrooms, so I would say no, Utah does not racially segregate. However, it is predominantly white, with a large and growing Latino population.
    -Why does housing seem so affordable (rentals)?Simple economics, supply and demand. It's not that you are finding places that are crack houses, housing in general is just much cheaper here than NYC
    -If i want to race downhill, are their options?Yes
    -What about XC races?Yes
    -Do i need a car with AWD for the winter months if i plan to snowboard?You don't need one, they roads get plowed really well, but there are some days in the winter that the canyons will require AWD or chains. If you get a front wheel drive car and get snow tires you really will be fine.
    Thanks!
    I hope this helps and you enjoy your time here.

Ride and Smile
    Love that!
    Park City has 3 pump tracks now (4 really but 1 is for 20" wheels) 2 are pretty good
    AWD is really helpful on the good powder days
    Longest climb - going from valley (4k) to peak (about 11k)

30 something dad
    I moved here a year ago from New England and it was the best decision I ever made. The trails are amazing (good in SLC brilliant in Park City) and the vibe is fantastic. Don't worry too much about it. Just get here and you'll figure it out. It's great.

Enjoy.

Talentless Hack

BY

Funniest thing all day! I needed that.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Bored Carp
    Utah law requires a herding dog in all Subarus. You won't pass state inspection without one. The coexist sticker is optional.

Don't get all fancy with the snow gear - your Jets jacket and jeans will suffice. Try talking real loud in the bar about your finance job to make friends - works every time.

;-)
    Last edited by chuky; 03-30-2011 at 08:47 PM.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Bored Carp
    Every time I see the username "truepatriot09" i assume it is a fake one, made up especially for the utah forum.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Bored Carp
    You are just jealous because we don't invite you to the forum-derailment planning meetings. :-)

Chumley for prez!
    I agree with almost everything that's been said, with one notable exception:
    The pizza at "The Pie" sucks. It tastes like it got cooked on top of my smelly gym shorts. If you want pizza there is only one hipster approved location to go, and that place is Este. If they would give me a bike jersey I would gladly wear it all summer as free advertising I like it so much. I prefer the downtown location, personally.
    Also, you haven't really arrived in Utah until you have been heckled by SLCRockymountainrider. Feel free to PM him to get his attention as he rarely visits these parts anymore.
    You should also consider getting involved in the legendary Humdinger Derby Race Series...it might be a good way to meet the dregs of Utah mountain biking.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    Every time I see the username "truepatriot09" i assume it is a fake one, made up especially for the utah forum.
    I know, the name reminds me a little of "Larryonabike"...do you remember him? That guy was the real deal.

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    I know, the name reminds me a little of "Larryonabike"...do you remember him? That guy was the real deal.
    Where's Chumley with a unicorn or a sweet nationalistic "eagle with a machine gun" picture when you really need him...

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    Utah law requires a herding dog in all Subarus. You won't pass state inspection without one. The coexist sticker is optional.

Don't get all fancy with the snow gear - your Jets jacket and jeans will suffice. Try talking real loud in the bar about your finance job to make friends - works every time.

;-)
    And it's stuff like this that gives the Utah forum its appeal. If it weren't for all the inside jokes and tearing apart useful information, I wouldn't even bother reading the Utah forum. Carry on.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Bored Carp
    I wouldn't even bother reading the Utah forum. Carry on.
    You've made both me and my herding dog cry. She won't get out of the Subaru.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Everything I wanted to know about SLC but was afraid to ask..-5361972575_250f38949f_z.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by truepatriot09
    I moved here a year ago from New England and it was the best decision I ever made. The trails are amazing (good in SLC brilliant in Park City) and the vibe is fantastic. Don't worry too much about it. Just get here and you'll figure it out. It's great.

Enjoy.
    Thats great to hear, thanks.

cs

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So did not think this is where we were going...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. Knew i was going to get heckled but did not expect to get all my questions answered and then some. Very grateful.
    Looking forward to life out West...

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Well, I agree with everything written below and as a bonus it was written so eloquently.

Now Punta, I know you were ragging on someone (rightfully) in another thread about losing all cred because they ride an Intense, but you need to go back and remove 'Crest' from your favorite trail list if you're going to hold any real cred here. Sorry, but that is super cliche' and one of the most over used ***** show trails that every jacktard from the East Coast comes out to ride and skid down all day long *sigh*. So change that up then come posting back here. It's like telling someone you own a Specialized and live in SLC, no ***** so does every other retard in the valley. It's a given.
    Let's try and be creative here especially if you're gonna throw attitude at someone else's.

Cheers,

slcF#ckfacerider

And Mr. Welcorn, the Pie makes an excellent calzone. They call it a 'Zappie.' Their pizza does taste like some homeless guy gave you a hummer then spit it in his friend's mouth and then into yours (Melted Snowball) and in no way do you want that. Believe me, you'll be brushing your teeth all night and feel guilty the next morning.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Well, I agree with everything written below and as a bonus it was written so eloquently.

Now Punta, I know you were ragging on someone (rightfully) in another thread about losing all cred because they ride an Intense, but you need to go back and remove 'Crest' from your favorite trail list if you're going to hold any real cred here. Sorry, but that is super cliche' and one of the most over used ***** show trails that every jacktard from the East Coast comes out to ride and skid down all day long *sigh*. So change that up then come posting back here. It's like telling someone you own a Specialized and live in SLC, no ***** so does every other retard in the valley. It's a given.
    Let's try and be creative here especially if you're gonna throw attitude at someone else's.

Cheers,

slcF#ckfacerider

And Mr. Welcorn, the Pie makes an excellent calzone. They call it a 'Zappie.' Their pizza does taste like some homeless guy gave you a hummer then spit it in his friend's mouth and then into yours (Melted Snowball) and in no way do you want that. Believe me, you'll be brushing your teeth all night and feel guilty the next morning.
    Hmmmm, a new low for the Utah forum?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    Hmmmm, a new low for the Utah forum?
    So, how can it be a new low when everything I've written is true?

1. Most everyone you see on a trail around here rides a Specialized. Tell me a bike brand you don't see more of around here?
    2. The Crest is one of the most shuttled and over used trails in the Wasatch, complete with a company dedicated to providing that service.
    3. The Crest has become a parking lot of novice out of towners on any given weekend day.
    4. If someone is going to throw out 'cred' then attitude towards someone else, then it's time to call a spade a spade, even if what he wrote was true and written so well.
    5. Getting a Melted Snowball just blows, literally. If not, why don't you tell us why.

Plus, isn't life all about hitting rock bottom? I mean, it's already happened in the All-Mountain forum. Everyone's just too uptight here to just let go. And yes, I am originally from the East Coast where they know how to make pizza, not this crap we have out here. Just, we have better Mexican food and the River Dance dates seem to work out better for me than they do back there.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 03-31-2011 at 05:11 PM.

mtbr member

Ahh chumley. It's been ages since we've heard from him... I hope he and his dad are out clearing the trails with barrels of diesel.
    Where's Chumley with a unicorn or a sweet nationalistic "eagle with a machine gun" picture when you really need him...

I'd rather be biking...

BY
    Utter awesomeness

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dude, I despise Specialized, so do not worry about my ride being cliche. But seriously, lock tight will not solve that bolt problem on your Intense bike.

The picture of your wife looks pretty good on your photo profile. Kuddos for you in that you definitely married better than yourself. You married up.

You may rip on the Crest Trail, but my guess is that you do not have the stamina and acumen to petal to the top of Puke Hill. So, chill bro. Granted it gets a lot of traffic, but you have to admit, it is a good downhill cruise if you put Pipeline into it. It is always fun running over hikers or the dogs of the Subaru owners.

Sincerely, Punta Lobos, (Crazy like the Wolf)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    you do not have the stamina and acumen to petal to the top of Puke Hill.
    Rich, compelling. . . and quite telling.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Using the Shuttle Beetle, riding up Puke hill with German Shepherd Hips or Piernes Lobos isn't necessary anymore. If you go to the lower switchback gate and head straight up the hill past the gate to the first clearing, turn to the right and walk 50 yard towards an old lighting-strike tree. There is a small ravine there and you will find the VW Super Beetle (Baja Bug) that about ten of us lifted over the lower gate last summer. It gets up Puke hill with 3 and sometimes even 4 bikes and riders. The keys are hidden in a wadded up pair of tighty-whiteys about 30 feet away. If you use it, put it back and plan to bring up a 5 gallon can of regular gas for top-offs every once in a while. And use some f-ing courtesy when you pass folks riding up the hill. We really don't need to draw to attention to ourselves.

JMH

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    It is always fun running over hikers or the dogs of the Subaru owners.

You Sir are an Asshat.

30 something dad
    I created the Truepatriot09 name when I joined a New England hiking forum a few days after Ted Williams died and I've just sort of carried it over to other forums. So not a fake name...just total cheeseball. That said...Go Sox!

More Utah upside: nice and warm and dry and the BST today and tomorrow will be a powder day up in BCC/LCC. Love it here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Using the Shuttle Beetle, riding up Puke hill with German Shepherd Hips or Piernes Lobos isn't necessary anymore. If you go to the lower switchback gate and head straight up the hill past the gate to the first clearing, turn to the right and walk 50 yard towards an old lighting-strike tree. There is a small ravine there and you will find the VW Super Beetle (Baja Bug) that about ten of us lifted over the lower gate last summer. It gets up Puke hill with 3 and sometimes even 4 bikes and riders. The keys are hidden in a wadded up pair of tighty-whiteys about 30 feet away. If you use it, put it back and plan to bring up a 5 gallon can of regular gas for top-offs every once in a while. And use some f-ing courtesy when you pass folks riding up the hill. We really don't need to draw to attention to ourselves.

JMH
    Or you could go to the singing bush fire your pistol in the air three times and kill the invisible man. But I would just grow a pair and ride to the top.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well, I made it: Writing this from my friends apartment in the Holladay area of SLC. Just in time for the great weather!
    Glad to be here and wanted to touch base on this thread.
    I am sure trail conditions suck across the board with this weather but would love if anyone would be willing to show a transplant around once the rain lightens up. No Subaru (or herding dog) yet so I suppose I would need a lift. Lunch is on me. I can, of course, chip in on gas.

Thanks
    cs

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The front side of Glenwild up near Park City was awesome last week, but that goes out the window with the weather we're having.

Shoreline is reachable from your house via a long-ish pedal to the Zoo.

Hit the Google Maps and find Hogle Zoo. Head up the hill and ride Wasatch all the way there from Holliday. There is a cool bike path that crosses I-80 that you can access from 3300 S. When you get to the 3300 intersection, you have to jog right (straight becomes an on-ramp to the 215) and the road turns back into Wasatch. Ride to the dead end, jump on the path. Stay low (left fork) where the bike path crosses the 215 and keep heading North across the 80. You will eventually be back on the road, cruise another 1/4 mile, take a right on Thunderbird and jump left immediately on Wasatch again. Wasatch is a pleasant ride from there to the Zoo where you will see the Shoreline TH across the street. All this description will make sense if you are looking at a map.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYawka
    Well, I made it: Writing this from my friends apartment in the Holladay area of SLC. Just in time for the great weather!
    Glad to be here and wanted to touch base on this thread.
    I am sure trail conditions suck across the board with this weather but would love if anyone would be willing to show a transplant around once the rain lightens up. No Subaru (or herding dog) yet so I suppose I would need a lift. Lunch is on me. I can, of course, chip in on gas.

Thanks
    cs

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    The front side of Glenwild up near Park City was awesome last week, but that goes out the window with the weather we're having.

Shoreline is reachable from your house via a long-ish pedal to the Zoo.

Hit the Google Maps and find Hogle Zoo. Head up the hill and ride Wasatch all the way there from Holliday. There is a cool bike path that crosses I-80 that you can access from 3300 S. When you get to the 3300 intersection, you have to jog right (straight becomes an on-ramp to the 215) and the road turns back into Wasatch. Ride to the dead end, jump on the path. Stay low (left fork) where the bike path crosses the 215 and keep heading North across the 80. You will eventually be back on the road, cruise another 1/4 mile, take a right on Thunderbird and jump left immediately on Wasatch again. Wasatch is a pleasant ride from there to the Zoo where you will see the Shoreline TH across the street. All this description will make sense if you are looking at a map.
    Makes perfect sense, JMH. Thanks.
    I also picked up a guide book at the Sugarhouse Barnes and Noble and the Mill Creek Pipeline looks like another easy access option ( I assuming though; i do have to ride 4.7 miles on Mill Creek Canyon Road and do not know the conditions and or safety of such road).
    Thanks a bunch
    cs

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Riding up the canyon road isn't too bad. But I have heard the top end of Pipeline is still pretty muddy/snowy. You can definitely jump on the trail from the road at Birch Hollow though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'll only be in SLC (Avenues) for a year stint, and have been here for about 9 months. I'm obviously not a local and don't claim to know nearly everything you need to know and I'm still learning (and would probably keep learning for about 20 years if I stayed here). I got here in July '10 and rode as much as I could riding the BST, Wasatch Crest, Snowbird, Mill D, etc. There are a lot of good trails and a lot of singletrack. I'm not a skiier, so after waiting through wayyyyyy too long of a winter, I finally got to get back on the bike about a month ago and recently discovered Corner Canyon in Draper which seem to be a really cool place to do a couple/few hour ride. There's still a lot of snow at any kind of elevation - I was at Pipeline last week and the upper road and trail is still packed with snow.

I moved from the East Coast where I grew up in Northern New Jersey then lived in Virginia for 12 years riding the Blue Ridge. I really like the outdoorsy atmosphere out here, and especially like the lack of humidity. What I don't like is pulling over so many times on the downhills for hikers/runners/bikers - I'm used to seeing almost no one on the trails. Get yourself a bell to make yourself know to other trail users. I also miss the technical, rocky, log-hopping, rooty trails of the East Coast. I also think the road riding is pretty bad - basically up a canyon and down a canyon and that's it.

If you live in the Avenues, your normal ride from the house will be the BST - City Creek to/from Dry Creek or up either of those and down Bobsled. Bobsled is a lot of fun for sure, and there are lots of jumps/drops on the trail. Get used to weaving your way up through the avenues assuming you ride from home.

There are of course lots of great weekend trips to make too - Moab, Fruita, Hurricane, etc. I think you'll enjoy your time out here and the change from NY.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Trails in Draper dry fast. I'd be happy to show you around my backyard because I work in your old one. Seriously this forum may not be the best representation due to the sarcasm but Utah is a great place to live especially if you like the outdoors. I work in NYC but feel blessed to live here because it is a giant year round playground. PM me if you want me to show you some good XC trails about 20mins south of you or just look on utahmountainbiking as others have said

mtbr member
    I bike commute right past your place almost every weekday. I ride many evenings as well on local trails. I live further south (Sandy), but would be happy to hit a few local trails if you're just trying to get to know your way around.
    I could easily switch to the mountain bike for the commute and be able to connect in the afternoon/evening on my way through.
    Feel free to PM if you haven't found a way to get out on some trails yet. Weather should give us some decent lower trails in a few days.
    DIPLOMACY: It's the art of letting others have my way...

Members who have read this thread: 0