Estimates for White Rim?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Estimates for White Rim?

We've had a White Rim ride planned for this winter. For obvious reasons we had to push it out. Anybody got an opinion by when the loop might be rideable?

Thanks

Klaus
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    One thing I do know once it is good to go you don't want to be one of the first groups out there. It can get really sandy in spots, better to let it get rolled in some before attempting it. Our friends in Moab normally don't ride it until May.

Desert Seeker
    Try calling the NPS Island in the Sky District at 435-259-4351 for trail conditions. Western Spirit's first scheduled tour there is March 17, but that may not happen if conditions are bad. Anyway, normally they are starting these tours in mid-March.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Called Island in the Sky Visitor Ctr March 10, was told Shafer Trail will not open until after April 1. They expect conditions to be muddy through March due to this winters heavy snowfall in the area. Would think by mid April trail and camp areas would be dry-good conditions.

mtbr member
    Hey, thank you. Currently we are planning an April 17ish attempt. May need to push that...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    April 17th might be a good time. Call the Visiter Center at Island in the Sky (435-259-4351) in a couple of weeks and get their thoughts. I've been on the White Rim Trail biking around Apirl 10th and our daytime temps were 94 degrees F--but they said it was warmer than normal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If doing a multi day trip, you will need a backcountry permit. I f you don't have one now, you will have to apply in July 2010 for one--they go fast !!

mtbr member
    Hmm, we were planning on WRIAD this Saturday, but if Shafers is closed we may have to start from the Potash side and skip the Shafers decent.

Is the rest of the trail ridable?
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

frejwilk
    Pop Martian,

Yep, Schafer is still closed as of today. Depending on how much of a loop you want to complete, going in on the Potash rd is a good option. Doing a loop with Potash rd and Long canyon only adds about 15mi.

If you were already planning to avoid some of the road riding with a vehicle, the shuttles will just be a little longer.

I bet conditions are awesome on the White Rim right now..

Have fun,

FW

mtbr member
    So I could start out on Potash which then connects to the White Rim and do a clockwise loop which would then spit me out by the visitor center somewhere? I have never been on the White Rim before so any pointers would be helpful. I only have the info from the internet and Google Earth.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    So I could start out on Potash which then connects to the White Rim and do a clockwise loop which would then spit me out by the visitor center somewhere? I have never been on the White Rim before so any pointers would be helpful. I only have the info from the internet and Google Earth.
    First thing I'd say is get a map. You won't get lost out there, but it sure is nice to know where you are on a ride like that. The Lartitude 40 Moab West map is ideal.

If you go clockwise from Potash you'll come out the Mineral Bottom rd. If you're shuttling, you could leave a car either at the top of the Mineral Bottom climb or at the intersection with hwy 313. If you're riding a loop, you would turn down the paved rd to Dead Horse Point and descend Long Canyon back to the Potash rd. Again, a map will show you this option.

FW

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am planning to get over there at some point in the next few weeks for a WRIAD ride.

What sort of plan do you(rs) have? Multi-day, single etc.?
    How many are in your group?

I would be able to send you a .gpx file if that would be of interest. We did the WRIAD last year in May and it was awesome.

Here is a link to some pictures:
    http://cid-b7019c5723116d77.skydrive...%20A%20Day%5E6

Let me know if I can help any further. We hadn't been on the trail before that day, so we were newbies too.

mtbr member
    Plan was to do it in one day and way earlier in the year. The whole plan seems to come apart right now. Not sure there will be a group at all. I'll send you a PM if the thing does come together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would say that if you are in good shape and you have reasonable weather, you should go for it. My wife and I were in excellent condition and my brother-in-law was in above average shape. We left the car at 3:30am (lucked out and got a huge full moon). We camped out and then started at the top of the switch backs on top of the west side. It was daylight when we reached where we stashed our water near the National Park Gates. From there we screamed down Shafer and had favorable (although sometimes on our head) winds the rest of the day. We finished in around 13 hours, taking our time, snapping pictures, etc. It was a really fun, beautiful ride.

Definitely go for it. Just take your time if you feel like you are not quite in shape for it.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Hmmm...a guy that works where I work (night janitor at the University Little Ceasars) took his family down and rode the WR last week, starting at Shafer.
    FWIW: He said everything was very decent and dry-I believe they camped at Airport and Hardscrabble or the camp spot after Hardscrabble-can't recall the name.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm actually kicking around doing the ride, wriad style, on Saturday, May 1, 2010.

I'm coming from the Denver Metro area, riding solo, but would enjoy getting a group loosely organized. Not that I would want or expect people to wait on me, or vise versa, but it could be fun to know you have some comrads out there riding that same day.

I would drive over Friday afternoon, ride Saturday and return Saturday evening or Sunday morning depending on how I feel. I would like to try and do the loop in under 10 hrs (goal), or under 12 hrs (more than likely).

I have a nice 29er hardtail now. Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should go Hardtail or not? It's an X-Caliber by Gary Fisher. I've done the loop, so I know there are parts that would feel nice on a full suspension, but there is also a majority of relatively smooth road that would favor the lighter hardtail. Other bike is a Trek 69er (29 front, 26 rear).

Chime in on either interest in riding that weekend or on which bike would be best.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by travelmannn
    I'm actually kicking around doing the ride, wriad style, on Saturday, May 1, 2010.

I'm coming from the Denver Metro area, riding solo, but would enjoy getting a group loosely organized. Not that I would want or expect people to wait on me, or vise versa, but it could be fun to know you have some comrads out there riding that same day.

I would drive over Friday afternoon, ride Saturday and return Saturday evening or Sunday morning depending on how I feel. I would like to try and do the loop in under 10 hrs (goal), or under 12 hrs (more than likely).

I have a nice 29er hardtail now. Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should go Hardtail or not? It's an X-Caliber by Gary Fisher. I've done the loop, so I know there are parts that would feel nice on a full suspension, but there is also a majority of relatively smooth road that would favor the lighter hardtail. Other bike is a Trek 69er (29 front, 26 rear).

Chime in on either interest in riding that weekend or on which bike would be best.
    Done the white rim lots of times on a ht. (that's was the only choice then) It's a pedal fest, nothing technical. Ride whatever you want. If I were to pick the perfect bike for me on the rim, it would be a 5" bike like a 5 spot

Members who have read this thread: 0