Epics in Park City?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    fight the system
    Reputation: jakomonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    411

    Epics in Park City?

    I've got some business in Park City and have 3 days before hand to ride. I'm far from normal and enjoy riding obscenely long trails at a pretty fast pace (KTR in 13hrs). And if I have to bivy with next to nothing in the mountains thats fine too. Can anyone suggest trails I should check out (the more mountains the better)? I've never been there and have been told there is some good stuff but I have no idea where to start looking.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by jakomonster; 05-28-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

  2. #2
    Has skills-will travel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    372
    Park at Little Dell recreation park, bike up the Mormon trail to Big Mountain, turn onto the Great Western Trail (Bald Mtn) over to Jermey Ranch. Take the Jermey Ranch Connector trail to Glenwild, Bike over to the Canyons, then up to Mid-Mountain all the way to Park-City. Get up to Guardsmans Pass (you can do this several ways - ie Tour des suds), bike the Wasatch Crest Trail to Mill-D. Go down Mill-D to the Dog Lake connector, bike up the to Dog Lake, down Little Water, then onto Pipeline trail. Bike or shuttle the roads back to Dell.

    Good Luck and you might have to bivy if you don't get an early start!

  3. #3
    fight the system
    Reputation: jakomonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by mooddude
    Park at Little Dell recreation park, bike up the Mormon trail to Big Mountain, turn onto the Great Western Trail (Bald Mtn) over to Jermey Ranch. Take the Jermey Ranch Connector trail to Glenwild, Bike over to the Canyons, then up to Mid-Mountain all the way to Park-City. Get up to Guardsmans Pass (you can do this several ways - ie Tour des suds), bike the Wasatch Crest Trail to Mill-D. Go down Mill-D to the Dog Lake connector, bike up the to Dog Lake, down Little Water, then onto Pipeline trail. Bike or shuttle the roads back to Dell.

    Good Luck and you might have to bivy if you don't get an early start!
    Thanks for the detailed route! I'm all over the 5am start for something like that!
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    316
    You left out Flying Dog!

    On the Jeremy Ranch Connector (aka, 24/7) turn onto Flying Dog which will take around to Cobblestone and onto Glenwild.

    And if you want make it longer, continue past Guardsman over into the Deer Valley area and hit some of the trails over there (Spin Cycle, Solamere, Lost Prospector, etc.)

    There's also the Pinebrook area trails.

    When will you be here? That will determine what you can and cannot access due to snow. Check out utahmountainbiking.com for trail descriptions/photos and if you can, get your hands on a mountain trails foundation trail map. It will give you all trail info you need for the area.

    Have fun!


    Quote Originally Posted by mooddude
    Park at Little Dell recreation park, bike up the Mormon trail to Big Mountain, turn onto the Great Western Trail (Bald Mtn) over to Jermey Ranch. Take the Jermey Ranch Connector trail to Glenwild, Bike over to the Canyons, then up to Mid-Mountain all the way to Park-City. Get up to Guardsmans Pass (you can do this several ways - ie Tour des suds), bike the Wasatch Crest Trail to Mill-D. Go down Mill-D to the Dog Lake connector, bike up the to Dog Lake, down Little Water, then onto Pipeline trail. Bike or shuttle the roads back to Dell.

    Good Luck and you might have to bivy if you don't get an early start!

  5. #5
    Has skills-will travel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    372
    I would pick up the Salt Lake city area Adventure Maps before you get here. Best map for the trails that you can pack along for the ride.

    You can make it as long as you want.

    www dot adventuremaps dot net

  6. #6
    fight the system
    Reputation: jakomonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    411
    I'm heading over June 20th. I've lived in CO for a few years so I know how long it can take for snowpack to melt away (Monarch Crest trail). How are we looking up there late June?

    I just ordered the National Geographic map but I've never regreted buying more. Is the Adventure Map worth it beyond with the NG can offer?
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

  7. #7
    Has skills-will travel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    372
    IMBA worked with Adventure Maps to come up with this map. Yet, I don't own the NG map. Go to utahmountainbiking dot com and you could just use a regular Topo map with the descriptions and trial maps on their web site!

    As far as snow, it is going fast. Usually the crest opens up the 4th of July, yet I am thinking that this year it will open early, (I live at the top of BCC and it is going fast!).

  8. #8
    Grizzly
    Reputation: alizbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by jakomonster
    I'm heading over June 20th. I've lived in CO for a few years so I know how long it can take for snowpack to melt away (Monarch Crest trail). How are we looking up there late June?

    I just ordered the National Geographic map but I've never regreted buying more. Is the Adventure Map worth it beyond with the NG can offer?
    I think the Adventure map is head and shoulders better than anything else offered. It is very detailed, and very easy to read.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

    "The only thing better than solitude, is society."

    ~Ed Abbey

  9. #9
    fight the system
    Reputation: jakomonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    I think the Adventure map is head and shoulders better than anything else offered. It is very detailed, and very easy to read.
    Convinced! It took me longer to write this post than it did to find and buy it.
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by jakomonster
    Thanks for the detailed route! I'm all over the 5am start for something like that!
    Don't under-estimate the section of the Great Western from Big Mountain Pass over to Jeremy Ranch. The views are spectacular, and so if the suffering! Not a lot of distance, but the miles really go slowly in that section. Fortunately you can rest up on the JRanch stuff before slogging across the Mid Mountain.

    Although it would increase the hike-a-bike time, you could also jump out of Millcreek from the pipeline (is it the Mt. Aire trail?) and come down Lamb's Canyon. Then you could close the loop on some pavement ( I-80 ?) I haven't done that option, but considered it, as getting back to Little Dell is a pain. The only time I did the original loop, I just got dropped off at Little Dell, and road back to my house in cottonwood heights from the bottom of Mill Creek.

    If you are solo, and all that pavement seems lame, you could also try this variation:

    Start at the Jeremy Ranch Exit from I-80, ride over to the start of the 24x7 then go flying Dog -> cobblestone->glenwild->Canyons->Mid Mountain-> ( as much or little of PC + DV as you want - literally you could add 1/2 to 3 hours here) up to the Crest->down to Canyons/MM again, then out the Mid Mountain to Pinebrook, and back to the car.

    I doubt you'll find maps of pinebrook printed, but here is a thread with a great map ( post 44, scroll down)

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=421710

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    204

    You've Got Me Salivating!!!

    I try and spend some time each summer riding Wasatch area trails. The last 2 summers I have done the following ride, very much as described by others on this post.

    - up the Morman trail to Big Mtn Pass and down to East Canyon road
    - East Canyon road to 24/7
    - 24/7 to Flying Dog-Cobblestone-Glenwild to Spring Creek Trailhead
    - Frontage Road/hwy 224 3 miles to Rob's Trail
    - Rob's to Mid Mtn
    - across Mid Mtn and climb up to the Crest Trail via CMG-Apex-Keystone-Shadow Lake-Puke Hill
    - Crest to Mill Creek via Great Western and Dog Lake
    - down Mill Creek to Pipe Line
    - Pipe Line to finish

    Last year I took a GPS so have a track if you are interested. It was 73 miles, 9023' vertical, and took me 11 hrs 23 mins. The year before I took the Great Western trail at the top of the Mormon Trail. I totally agree with slcpunk, "the views are spectacular and so is the suffering." So last year I dropped down the Morman trail to East Cny road instead of doing the Great Western trail.

    Both times I've started at 6:00am, and both times I've encountered lots of Moose on the climb up the Morman trail. What a great way to start an epic day. And it's so surreal climbing up that trail with the filtered early morining light and dampness from all the dew.

    I'm going to be in Salt Lake the same time you are, and would be interested in hooking up with you for your epic, but my pace is much slower than an 11 hour KTR. That is impressive!

    If you are interested in a GPS track or hooking up, best to send me an email at [email protected] as I very rarely frequent this forum cause it cuts into my ride time.

    Cheers,

    Craig

  12. #12
    fight the system
    Reputation: jakomonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by cstuttle
    I try and spend some time each summer riding Wasatch area trails. The last 2 summers I have done the following ride, very much as described by others on this post.

    - up the Morman trail to Big Mtn Pass and down to East Canyon road
    - East Canyon road to 24/7
    - 24/7 to Flying Dog-Cobblestone-Glenwild to Spring Creek Trailhead
    - Frontage Road/hwy 224 3 miles to Rob's Trail
    - Rob's to Mid Mtn
    - across Mid Mtn and climb up to the Crest Trail via CMG-Apex-Keystone-Shadow Lake-Puke Hill
    - Crest to Mill Creek via Great Western and Dog Lake
    - down Mill Creek to Pipe Line
    - Pipe Line to finish

    Last year I took a GPS so have a track if you are interested. It was 73 miles, 9023' vertical, and took me 11 hrs 23 mins. The year before I took the Great Western trail at the top of the Mormon Trail. I totally agree with slcpunk, "the views are spectacular and so is the suffering." So last year I dropped down the Morman trail to East Cny road instead of doing the Great Western trail.

    Both times I've started at 6:00am, and both times I've encountered lots of Moose on the climb up the Morman trail. What a great way to start an epic day. And it's so surreal climbing up that trail with the filtered early morining light and dampness from all the dew.

    I'm going to be in Salt Lake the same time you are, and would be interested in hooking up with you for your epic, but my pace is much slower than an 11 hour KTR. That is impressive!

    If you are interested in a GPS track or hooking up, best to send me an email at [email protected] as I very rarely frequent this forum cause it cuts into my ride time.

    Cheers,

    Craig
    Thanks for offering the GPS track but I'm still in the stone age with map and compass although I spend all my day in front of a computer so mtbr is a frequent distraction. I'll see if I can follow your route on my map. Oh and for the record I wrote wrong, my KTR time was 13 not 11. Both fast times but Dave Harris still holds the record at 12:41. Regardless, I'm going to be riding fast out there trying to cover as much trail as I can. Maybe we'll cross paths.

    Thanks for the note.
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by jakomonster
    Thanks for offering the GPS track but I'm still in the stone age with map and compass although I spend all my day in front of a computer so mtbr is a frequent distraction. I'll see if I can follow your route on my map. Oh and for the record I wrote wrong, my KTR time was 13 not 11. Both fast times but Dave Harris still holds the record at 12:41. Regardless, I'm going to be riding fast out there trying to cover as much trail as I can. Maybe we'll cross paths.

    Thanks for the note.
    Sounds good. I'll be spinnin along on a black Yeti 575 and more than likely wearing a Hawaiian print shirt. Every now and then I get the privelege of riding with DH. Thankfully he likes to take lots of fotos so I can almost keep up.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.