Enchilada usage & rescue stats?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Enchilada usage & rescue stats?

Are there any usage statistics published for Enchilada? Like a counter at the bottom of Porcupine?
    Is there a record (or accepted estimate) of times search and rescue are called out per season specifically for Enchilada related trails?

We (GJ area) are trying to build our own epic route (because frankly we are jealous of you guys) and when we hear crazy statements it would be nice to be able to correct them with valid info.
    For example: "10K riders per month will ride the trail" (that would be 322 or more riders per day...... we should be so lucky!).... "a higher percentage of riders will need search & rescue (as opposed to other trails)"

Are there any private land owners bordering the public land the trail is on or does the trail cross any private land? If so, has the relationship been good?

How has the relationship with the hunting community been? (I assume there is hunting in areas of the trail up higher).

Does Enchilada go through the Moab Watershed? From the pic I found it would appear so but I can't be sure as not much is marked on there so I'm not positive what I'm looking at.
    Name:  28_Waterched_Council.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  55.3 KB

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I don't have hard numbers for you but I'm sure if you called Grand County SAR they could provide it to you. My guesstimate is that most of the bike injuries occur on the Porcupine Rim area of the trail not the upper part above the loop road. I don't believe that mountain bike injuries account for the most SAR responses. Grand County does have the most SAR responses of any county in the state. The hospital keeps a pin map of type/ location of the injuries that come in, even non rescue, so they might have higher stats , but I know they start a new one every year and may not record past data.
    There is no counter on the trail. During peak months several hundred people a day would seem about right. If you checked shuttle companies and determined how many shuttles ran a day that might give you an idea.

The trail does go through the watershed.

If you call someone at Trailmix ( they have a website) you can probably get more detailed information about land owners and hunting.

Until you get some 13,000 foot mountains in GJ I think you're going to have to keep coming over here

BTW, I'm keeping the Van Helgas on year round so if you'd like my slightly used Hudu's PM me.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response. I could see Ench getting a couple hundred on a weekend day, but not likely every day for an entire month. We have some counters at trail heads now, was curious if Porc had something.

I would presume you are correct that Porcupine gets the bulk of the injuries. More use and tired people towards the end.

PS - Top of Burro is only 11,150 I believe. We're not that far off. Our high point is about 10,700 at the start. And no riding up to start! But I'll keep coming back to Moab either way.

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    The hospital keeps a pin map of type/ location of the injuries that come in, even non rescue, so they might have higher stats , but I know they start a new one every year and may not record past data.
    Funny you mention this. We just assembled the 2016 injury map in the ER. We went several years without any such counter but have now brought it back in a more visually poignant way (better than the old list). We have different color pins for different activities (of course one is mountain biking). There are boxes for common trail areas (such as Enchilada / Porcupine). There will most likely be over a thousand pins on the board by the end of the year.

Cheers.

hfly