Empire. Anyone this Saturday?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Empire. Anyone this Saturday?

I did not get to ride it this year yet.
    Anyone riding it this Saturday?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've heard it's good to go. How bout Sunday instead?

Dave

mtbr member
    Hey Mani - the wife and I might be down for giving it a run on saturday. When were you thinking?

Big Wave Dave

www.bigwavedaveshome.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedaveshome
    Hey Mani - the wife and I might be down for giving it a run on saturday. When were you thinking?
    Hey Dave!

Anytime would work for me. Give me a call. That' would be fun to do a nice shuttle before my Uintah XC ride of hell on Sunday

Later,

Mani

mtbr member
    You . . . . riding cross country?? . . Now that's one I haven't heard before!!
    BTW - You going to the Hood River or Whistler this summer?? Heading up that way this next wed for a month.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedaveshome
    You . . . . riding cross country?? . . Now that's one I haven't heard before!!
    BTW - You going to the Hood River or Whistler this summer?? Heading up that way this next wed for a month.
    Na no hood river for me. Too much work. I am kind of bummed. May be more whistler in September (I got 5 days a couple weeks ago there.. pretty fun). I am spending most of August in France so I won't have time to do much else.

Tell me when you want to ride tomorrow!

mtbr member
    I'll call you once I speak with the more attractive half.

BWD

www.bigwavedaveshome.com

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Would love to join you guys, been up there a couple times lately, most of it is super fun right now. Brian Head this weekend...

Homer's problem child
    I popped my Empire cherry last Saturday...................it's still bleeding.

A friend and I may try again this weekend, not sure which day though. We are both on fairly burly 6" travel bikes, but think after a few more times down it we can ride most of it (or hurt ourselves trying). Some of the bigger drops and features are probably too much for our bikes and current skills but there are ride arounds. Although it appears there are many features needing some work, some of the skinnies seemed pretty wobbly. I've never built anything like that, but if thee was some sort of organized "refresher" I'd try to help.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Empire

Can any of you guys give me directions on how to get to Empire? Made a half hearted attempt a couple of weekends ago. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by seppe71
    Can any of you guys give me directions on how to get to Empire?
    Top of the empire lift. Pretty easy.
    Anyone knows about maintenance? Obviously by now everyone knows about the trail (there was even a sign "pirate trail" on a section!! ) but it is in really bad shape. Is it legal to put work into it? I'd love to do some work on it but can't risk another citation for criminal trespass or **** like that so I'd work on it only if it's "ok".

mtbr member
    Good riding with you yesterday Mani. I'd be down for some work up there too. The trails' still dang fun but some of the stunts just needs a little bit of repair work to be ridable again. I'd be interested in knowing the status as well and would gladly put some work into it after I get back from Hood River'Whistler in a month. As for finding it - There are some turn-off that are hard to find if you don't know where to look after you've started heading down. The best way to figure it out is to ride it with someone who's been.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Most of the trail is over my head skill wise, but I still think it's rad that it exists here. Unfortunately, my understanding is that it is still a non-sanctioned trail. Many PC residence I know would actually love it torn out. Also, my understanding is that DV is on that side of the discussion, since it has the potential to compete for some of their business. Unless others, on the inside, know of changes in the feelings of the land owners, I think keeping it on the DL is still preferable for it's existence. Maintenance/Improvements I would do as discreet as possible. Having mid mountain now redirected through the middle of it has me worried that it may already be at higher risk.

While I love these forums, I sometimes worry that they bring extra attention (and sometimes directions for all to read) to places that really need to be safeguarded a bit more. I personally would only give directions to one of the non-sanctioned trails in person or through a PM with a trusted username. I hope someone chimes in and says that I'm way off and this trail is part of the long term trail plan for PC, but I doubt that. The built trails in LCC have been destroyed and blocked several times because trail users stopped being stealthy about using/building them. I can't wait for the day when these trails can be built openly on public land.

Homer's problem child
    ^^^Agree Completely^^^

You may also want to post that on TGR. That's where I heard of this trail.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Aug 2004
    I don't know the official status of the trail. I haven't been up there this year, but last year some of the stunts were looking pretty sketchy. I can't imagine the trail is that secret anymore, so it might be more of a "don't ask, don't tell" situation right now. I do have the feeling that its days are numbered, though.

Still, a few things have happened during the last week that give me some hope that we might be able to have some legal freeride trails around here sooner than I thought. I talked to a few of the Forest Service guys last week and they seemed a lot more open than I imagined they would be. I also was up in Jackson Hole last weekend, and they've got a pretty good thing going on, which I see as a sort of model for what we could have here - I'll post my report on that in a different thread. (Also posted at WAFTA and utahmountainbiking.com)

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by soboko
    Still, a few things have happened during the last week that give me some hope that we might be able to have some legal freeride trails around here sooner than I thought. I talked to a few of the Forest Service guys last week and they seemed a lot more open than I imagined they would be. I also was up in Jackson Hole last weekend, and they've got a pretty good thing going on, which I see as a sort of model for what we could have here - I'll post my report on that in a different thread. (Also posted at WAFTA and utahmountainbiking.com)
    This sounds like good news....maybe i should look into joining up with the WAFTA thing....i guess numbers speak volumes. I have seen a few vids of the teton pass sutff and it looks great.
    phatfreeheeler....I never rode those LCC trails, but i can only imagine...i know from walking around bouldering/climbing there that that place has a ton of potential. Just need to get the forest service on board.

May 2007
    Empire...The old nasty stunts near the top need to be torn out and replaced with something safer and better contructed. The cool stuff on near the bottom just needs to be inspected and maintained to prevent degradation. Overgrowth needs to be cleared constantly.
    Doing trail maintainence is not a sin. If people want a cool trail like this, then somebody has to take care of it. Unless the FS or DV are willing to do it, (and you don't want them to, they would make it lame) then the trail maintainence has to done by the people who ride the trail.
    I realise people's concerns, but if you have a trail in which you have scetchy stunts which are falling apart and no one has done anything about it for years, that trail is going to get closed down and it will do no good for the 'image' of freeriding in these parts.
    If everyone who rode this trail just carried or stashed a few tools(they're cheap) and then did a half hour of work or more each time they rode the trail, it would 'take care of itself' and be in fantastic condition in no time.
    People who are not comfortable doing that sort of work should the be making an active effort to protect the trail and/or get it officially recognized/sanctioned. The point is, a trail has a much better chance if somebody actually 'cares' for it.
    Last edited by AMMAROO; 07-24-2007 at 01:26 AM.

Aug 2004
    That's what's so cool about what's going on in Jackson... the riders design and build the stunts, but noboby has to worry about getting all their hard work ripped out (or getting arrested). I guess it's really the same as what's going on in the North Shore, but with Jackson, we have an example of riders working with the USFS, and it's close to home.

It's always a bit frustrating when I come back from places where riders have managed to build incredible freeride trails with the cooperation (or at least agreement) of the local authorities, and all we have is a few pirate trails and Deer Valley (well, now Wolf Mountain too). If they can do it in Jackson, so should we!

Members who have read this thread: 0