Easy trails at Zion?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Easy trails at Zion?

Heya everybody,

Later this summer/fall, me and my fiance are planning on driving down to Zion and the Grand Canyon to do some mountain biking. I made pretty much the same post in the Arizona forum, but now I'm looking for the following:

-Some easy trails to hit at Zion. She's not the most hardcore mountain biker, so we're not looking to climb a ton and do an epic ride, but we'd like to take our bikes down to Zion and the Grand Canyon and bike a bit.

-Would a pair of Gary Fisher Marlin hardtails be able to hack what's at Zion? I think I was looking at Gooseberry Mesa as a trail we could hit, is it going to eat our bikes for lunch?

-What gear would you carry with you? We normally bike in Park City and we're never more than 4-5 miles from our apartment if we break down. I carry a tube, multi tool and a pump with me. Anything else I should throw in for the Grand Canyon/Zion adventure?

Thanks!

Oct 2005

Zion Trails

JEM is fairly easy, and is right outside of Zion, and good for a hardtail, too. Gooseberry might be a bit much if your wife isn't the most adventurous. Rockville Bench/Slickrock Swamp would also be good.

If you go down to St. George (about 45 minutes from Zion) put Bearclaw Poppy/Green Valley on your list. It's easy enough, good on a hardtail, and a lot of fun. I've also really enjoyed the Anasazi trail system this past year.

I carry about the same as you - tube, pump, multi-tool. And A LOT of water.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Gooseberry is divorce material unless you stick to the main jeep trail or you and your wife have endless patience. The easiest 200 yards of Gooseberry make just about any Park City trail look like sidewalk. Not to scare you off, but approach it conservatively by riding a small loop first. Yeah, your fisher Marlins probably aren't up to the task, but that doesn't mean you won't enjoy yourself and learn a lot.

I second the JEM trail recommend.

Riding on the road up to the Narrows is very enjoyable since cars aren't allowed in the park. It's a mellow ride but takes a good amount of time at a leisurely pace.

MTB Mamba
    May 2007
    Definitely hit up the JEM trail, it's not too bad at all.

I haven't rode the next two...but they are rated as easy...

http://utahmountainbiking.com/trails/goose-white.htm

http://utahmountainbiking.com/trails/zion.htm

Members who have read this thread: 0