Easy Moab Trails for Kids?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Easy Moab Trails for Kids?

I am looking for a good trail or section of trail in Moab that would be good for my almost 6 year old daughter and let her feel that she is riding like mom & dad without pushing her too hard. We are currently in Moab & I am thinking of taking her out in the next 4 days before we leave (we have been here many times & know all the higher end trails, but finding this piece of easy trail has been tough).

I saw the thread from a week ago on "Moab Beginner Trails", but it doesn't quite address the exact issue. Using that info, I rode the Bar M & Circle O trails today to check it out. Bar M is a bit boring & long for her, being only road; she would be complaining by the time we hit anything good. I like Circle O, but it is slightly beyond her abilities (a little too much vertical on individual climbs and some of the 'cracks' between slabs are a little steep - and I don't want to discourage her at this young age). The 1/2 mile of slickrock trail at the north end of Circle O would be perfect, but it is short and it is a long way from the parking lot. (Circle O might be perfect in another 6 months or a year from now).

So....basically we are looking for a mile or two of easy but technical trail with little vertical that is easily accessible by car; preferably singletrack and/or slickrock (am I asking for the moon here?)

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by whistlerrider; 04-30-2009 at 12:10 AM.

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by whistlerrider
    So....basically we are looking for a mile or two of easy but technical trail with little vertical that is easily accessible by car; preferably singletrack and/or slickrock (am I asking for the moon here?)

Any advice would be appreciated.
    In a word, yes. But here goes anyway.

Before I recommend a ride. Have you asked around at any shops in Moab? And I mean asking and pointing out that you have a 6 year old child you're riding with? Klondike Bluff's will get recommended. If she can't make it around Bar M, don't bother with Klondike.

Consider the 'Lower Monitor and Merrimac' trail. Before you go, get familiar with the area on your map. You're going to avoid the Mill Canyon side of the ride and stay on the Courthouse side. Drive all the way in to the 'Half Way Stagecoach Station'. Park here. Head up the road following the marked route. There will be some sandy doubletrack. It's not that much. Just push through and enjoy the view. Point out the balanced rocks (ala Coyote and Roadrunner) above to younger riders. You're headed for the big slickrock area ahead. Play here until everyone has had enough, then turn around and go back to the car.

If it turns out that everyone is up for a longer ride, then go around the big unnamed butte in front of you. You should keep left/east then stay clockwise (Staying close and circling the big butte), until you've come back upon the route you started on (it's marked with painted dashes). Remember, you want to circle the butte, not follow the painted dashes toward Mill Canyon. Once you've rejoined your original route on the Courthouse side, follow it back to your car.

Depending on your choices, this should give you 2-3 or 5-6mi of reasonably graded slickrock. It will definitely not feel like a 'road'.

If any of this is confusing, or doesn't match your maps / guidebooks, check with one of the local shops.

Good luck,

FW
    Last edited by frejwilk; 04-30-2009 at 01:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanks

Yes I did ask at the shops, and as you suspected, they mentioned Bar M and Klondike. I only rode BarM last night to check it out & I already knew Klondike was too steep (both the dirt road getting to the slickrock & the slickrock itself - maybe in a year or two)

Monitor & Merrimac had entered my mind, but it has been about 10 years since I did it myself & I remember lots of sand at the bottom (Mill Canyon side I assume) - your advice is exactly what I was looking for, I think I might park where you suggested and ride it myself today after my ride to check it out.

frejwilk
    Smart move to check it out yourself before taking everyone. If the dirt road is too much on Klondike, then the area I suggested may be too much also. I am assuming she has hand brakes, gears, and has ridden off road.

You probably already noticed this at Bar M, but there is a cutoff in the middle of the loop. You can drive up the road a bit (south) past the parking area. The cutoff is the first road on the left. There is a sign there. There's room at the corner to park. It takes you over the hill to meet the Bar M loop. You would turn left there to reach the slickrock section at the end of the Circle O. Still probably a couple of miles from the car, but a lot shorter than going the whole way around.

There is a nice dirt / wood chip path in town. You can get onto it near the corner of 100W and 100S. It's across the bridge and heads west. It follows the creek and is under trees. The terrain and scenery isn't much different than you might find in other towns, but it is nice.

Have fun,

FW

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Dead Horse Point SP has a bike trail system that is very new and supposedly beginner-friendly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Intrepid Trails at Deadhorse Point SP

I rode these trails this past sunday to check it out and take some photos. I thought they were great and would be perfect for kids. There are 2 or 3 nested loops with the big chief being the biggest. My buddy had a computer and the largest loop was 10 miles I believe. As we got onto the big chief a man and woman were walking out complaining about the sand on the big chief but none of our group thought it was that bad. It looked like parts of the smaller loop had magnesium chloride or something sprayed on it to help pack it down. I would reccommend it for kids.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanks - it was a great ride

Thanks for all the info/advice.
    Didn't have time to check out Monitor Merrimac and we were already riding the Mill Creek pathway etc in town, so did part of Bar M/Circle O as Frejwilk suggested (Dead Horse was too far to drive). I took my 5 year old daughter and just to add to the interest, I also took my 3 year old son on the trail-a-bike.

Similar to what Frejwilk suggested, I drove a half or 3/4 mile past the parking lot, took the left and parked at the base of the hill amongst the piles of dirt. We rode over the hill (only one small bit of walking required) and arrived at the slickrock just in time for a 'treat' (the best way to keep them motivated). Rode around the upper slickrock for a while before returning back (inlcuidng another 'treat' break). Did about 2-2.5 miles with about a half mile slickrock.

It was a great outing and my son is telling his friends about the "sliprock" he rode.

photo 1 026 (Large).jpg

Members who have read this thread: 0