Easter Jeep Safari- Mtbr.com
    stl_burner

Easter Jeep Safari

Has anyone been in Moab during the Easter Jeep Safari? How crowded is it really? I want to ride Porc. Rim, Slickrock, and probably Sovereign, are those open to Jeeps? Will I have to wait to eat out all of the time and for everything else? I have a tent site reserved at Canyonlands RV in town. Any ideas what that will be like? (I like the tent part) Am I still going to enjoy this trip if I go?
    Last edited by stlburner; 03-03-2005 at 07:06 AM.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by stlburner
    Has anyone been in Moab during the Easter Jeep Safari? How crowded is it really? I want to ride Porc. Rim, Slickrock, and probably Sovereign, are those open to Jeeps? Will I have to wait to eat out all of the time and for everything else? I have a tent site reserved at Canyonlands RV in town. Any ideas what that will be like? (I like the tent part) Am I still going to enjoy this trip if I go?
    It's completely obscene. Slick rock (Hells Revenge) is like a parking lot. Forget about camping anywhere near town. RV sites will be overrun. Trafiic on Porky isn't as bad, as it doesn't really go anywhere for the jeeps (can't do the singletrack) Sovereign singletrack isn't open to jeeps, but there are trails in the area that are.

If you know where the singletrack is you can avoid the jeepers for the most part, but they'll be thick and close at hand anywhere you go.

Jeep Safari is early this year however, like the middle of March I think.

It's fun to pedal around and watch the carnage/general mayhem however. I like to bum beers and hamburgers out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hmm...

How crowded is it? The population triples. Canyonlands is right downtown, and people drive their rigs up and down Main literally all night long. I've never figured out why you need a 70:1 crawl ratio AND a 401 V8 in a Jeep, but that's exactly what some of these guys have.

Yes, you will have to wait in line at every restaurant, except maybe Ecklectica or one of the other more granola places. Yes they will be on nearly every trail.

Are you going to enjoy it? I don't know. Are you going to be able to sleep? I don't know.

If you are at all a motorhead it is actually kind of cool, as is Hot Rod weekend. If you are a minimum impact tree hugging hippie type, you'll be appalled.

I know some locals who make it point to leave town that week, and especially the weekends.

stl_burner

Thanks

Thanks for the help. We're moving it back to mid May. Any problems with that?

Linoleum Knife
    Thanks for the help. We're moving it back to mid May. Any problems with that?
    Other than the heat in May, you should be OK.

There is a convention of some sort in Moab every weekend from the beginning of March until the beginning of June, but Easter Jeep Safari is by far the most crowded. I've ridden there during the jeep safari. It's busy, but you can still enjoy yourself. Go check out some of the lesser ridden trails (behind the rocks, Flat Pass, gold bar rim) and you should be fine. You can even ride some of the popular stuff, you just have to be ready to wait to pass Jeepers climbing obstacles. Avoid the entrance to Sand Flats unless you ride up on your bike. The hardest part of Jeep weekend is finding a place to stay & eat. If you have that sorted out, you should be OK.

IMHO, Jeep Safari is no worse than riding Slickrock during peak season. There are just as many idiots on MTB's as there are in Jeeps.

In addition - if you want to go somewhere for Easter, go to Fruita. I've gone there a few times during the easter weekend. Lots of people that went to Moab and realized it was full of jeeps

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Trails During Jeep Safari

You mentioned Flat Pass and Gold Bar Rim as trail suggestions, but trust me, there will be Jeeps on those. Jeepers call Flat Pass "Steelbender", and Gold Bar Rim is sometimes referred to as "Golden Spike" or "Golden Crack". Same trails, different names.

You'll even see Jeeps on Porcupine up to the singletrack.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    You mentioned Flat Pass and Gold Bar Rim as trail suggestions, but trust me, there will be Jeeps on those. Jeepers call Flat Pass "Steelbender", and Gold Bar Rim is sometimes referred to as "Golden Spike" or "Golden Crack". Same trails, different names.

You'll even see Jeeps on Porcupine up to the singletrack.
    They'll be there (everywhere), but it won't be bad like Amasa Back and Poison Spider. Amasa will be solid jeeps from the trail head to the pipe, and poison spider will be a line of 100+ sitting in the sand waiting to take the first (only) nasty technical section. Sand Flats will have about 500 jeeps lined up waiting to get in, but Slickrock trail should be pretty clear except for the parts where the jeeps cross the MTB trail.

I avoid it like the plague, but I'm only 3 hours away so I can go anytime. What I'm saying is that if you only get to go to Moab once a year, and it happens to be on Easter, you can still have a good time.

Hoops - Big and Small

Jeeps in Moab

Here's a link to a list of trails that are posted rides

http://www.rr4w.com/EasterJeepSafari/Trails/

I've actually enjoyed watching the off road vehicles attempt some of the trails - Met some nice people - Some of the vertical assents/descents are downright sic.

I'll be in Moab riding my MTB during EJS, so I'll be searching out some no jeep single track.
    Attached Images Attached Images