Early October road trip in Southern Utah?- Mtbr.com
    I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Early October road trip in Southern Utah?

Last year I pulled off a late October/early Nov trip to the St George area and rode the Hurricane Cliffs trifecta. Very nice. We hit the area before the rains set in that year, temps in the low 40s in the morning and into the 60s during the day. Good riding weather.

This year I have the first weekend set aside in October. I wanted to get over to Thunder Mtn and possibly some other nearby trails. Then it occurred to me that the Virgin River Rim trail system is beckoning. I wonder though, if the elevation at that time of the year will be a killer? Too late in the year for that Brian Head area? We would be camping too.

I am set to be in Moab and Gooseberry in Sept in the week of Interbike, so I was hoping to ride someplace different in Oct.

It is a 8 hour drive to the St George area, so I want to make it worth the trip.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Last year I pulled off a late October/early Nov trip to the St George area and rode the Hurricane Cliffs trifecta. Very nice. We hit the area before the rains set in that year, temps in the low 40s in the morning and into the 60s during the day. Good riding weather.

This year I have the first weekend set aside in October. I wanted to get over to Thunder Mtn and possibly some other nearby trails. Then it occurred to me that the Virgin River Rim trail system is beckoning. I wonder though, if the elevation at that time of the year will be a killer? Too late in the year for that Brian Head area? We would be camping too.

I am set to be in Moab and Gooseberry in Sept in the week of Interbike, so I was hoping to ride someplace different in Oct.

It is a 8 hour drive to the St George area, so I want to make it worth the trip.

Most years you can still be riding up on the plateau until mid October. I've ridden some years in late November. I'm usually ready for some slickrock riding after Interbike though.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    Most years you can still be riding up on the plateau until mid October. I've ridden some years in late November. I'm usually ready for some slickrock riding after Interbike though.

Thanks.
    Blog Ramblings

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Four of us from the UK had a great trip last year when we were on the high stuff (Brian Head, Red Canyon) for several days between 8/12th October - cold at times but perfect conditions for riding Our second week to the 20th was around St George and Hurricane - all good. So good in fact we are back this year and are based in Hurricane 28th September to 6th October. We are planning a day each for Brian Head and Red Canyon this time plus the Goose, Little Creek and some of the other stuff we liked the best
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor-y-Foel
    Little Creek
    Ah Little Creek!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Gravity Tester
    Brian Head area is just about perfect that time of year. First part of October will have temps in the 30's or lower at 11,000 ft. but it warms up fast as you go lower. Fall foliage is in full force. Huge groves of Yellow aspen and other native trees that go orange and red.

Dark Hollow ends with a 6 mile blazing fast fire road decent past red-rock formations, waterfalls, the previously mentioned foliage. Five-Star eye-candy at the end of 15 miles of downhill thrills.

Do it.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Sounds like it could work. Any thoughts on camping near there? Probably just tents, or I could bring my pop-up camper. It would be nice to be a little lower elevation for camping.
    Blog Ramblings

Members who have read this thread: 0