Eagle Mountain Bike Park- Mtbr.com

Sep 2006

Eagle Mountain Bike Park

I don't know if anyone else has been out to the Eagle Mountain Bike Park, but I have to say that I am quite disappointed!! Granted it is hard building trails, but I was expecting something that a progressive rider would enjoy. I feel like the park was built for very beginner riders or small children.

mtbr member

What trails did you ride? There's some decent sized stuff out there.

Where do you normally ride so we have some sort of comparison?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I kind of feel the same, and i really can't wait till schools out so i can head out and help develop it because it's def not done yet. There's a ton of promise, but it's not really that big of a place yet. If anything really needs to be worked on it's the DJ's.

still a ton of fun and props for whoever has put in time there

Mar 2008

Potential

I was out there not long ago and would have to agree. The dirt jumps need to be worked over, they just don't feel right. The slopestye trail has serious potential, it is fun, but needs to be broken in more and some more speed. Same goes for the singletrack. I just think it all needs to settle in for it to be good, besides the dirt jumps, they need some work. I do agree that there isn't very big stuff out there. I have only been getting into the freeride sector recently and I hit everything out there without even thinking twice. Needs some big gaps, or at least bigger tabletops. That being said, I think it is awesome and greatly appreciate the time that has gone into it. Should be a great park eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is it rideable?
    I've been wanting to go check it out, but didn't know if it was good yet.

biking is fun
    To all that are complaining....

join WAFTA and get a shovel and help.

Im sure it will eventually be a really fun place. i don't think its even officially open so to say it needs a lot of work is going to be obvious. Its going to need some fine tuning but im sure all of that will be addressed once more people get out to help and put some work into it.

Feb 2005
    I agree. I checked them out a while ago and they just do not look done. Very small and I am not very good at all. Are we able to make them real dirt jumps or do they have to be tables? I think the small ones could be tables for the more beginner riders. Hey, let me run the bobcat and I will help you make the dirt jumps actually desireable. As of right now I don't think anyone is going to travel out there to ride them. Is there water access out there?

mtbr member
    Don't be too concerned with the bike park in its current state, or as a single entity. Instead, concern yourself with WAFTA. Pay your dues and put a shovel in your hand. The Utah freeride scene needs legitimacy which WAFTA is providing. With support, we will see bigger and better things come to fruition.

The Egle Mountain park and the Draper DH trails are just the beginning of a larger non-rogue freeride scene that local riders have been dreaming of for years.

Also, keep in mind that WAFTA may not recieve the same level of support from cities and communities if the goal is to go straight to advanced trails and stunts that would be off limits to a larger circle of users.

...step by step, little by little. Big thanks and a hats off to WAFTA!

Sep 2006
    That is a good point Rogue, more people do need to pick up shovels. The only problem is not many people will want to go dig their hearts out on a trail that they will not want to ride. Yes, granted this is just the beginning of the trail system. But tell my why everything has to be so small again? All I am saying is that it needs to be progressive. Let us build a bigger line next to all of the smaller lines. Why would a city oppose that?

mtbr member
    I don't think a city would oppose a bigger line next to the smaller ones. But, It would make sense to me that smaller lines would come first.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the size of what has been built or how challenging it may be to an expert rider. I'm just saying that for the first time, Utah has a legitimate face and backing for a freeride scene. The stuff we want isn't going to be thrown up over night. We have to take a few smaller steps and get the approval of cities and communities that are willing to look our way.

The Prof, who was the first to respond to this thread, is in the know. Answer his comparison questions and let him know what ideas you have. I'm sure he would appreciate it and I'm sure he will be able to give you some piece of mind as to why things are the way they are in the park. Also, contact WAFTA and share your feelings. Decide if their vision and your vision correlate. If they do, join and let your voice be heard.

I think you and I see and feel the same way, I just don't have an issue with it right now because I'm happy that we have something officially recognized. My feelings are base on Utah's past freeride scene. The best freeride trail in Utah remains a secret to this day. Most bikers don't know about it. Some who have heard the name have no clue where it is or how to find it. My second favorite freeride trail in the area is only less secrative because of its location. If you pay attention it becomes obvious what is going on above. This trail was closed down a few years back. Although we can ride it currently, the FS has it under a microscope. WAFTA gives me hope in the future of Utah freeriding. One day I will be able to change my name from roguebuilder to legitimatetrailbuilder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roguebuilder
    I don't think a city would oppose a bigger line next to the smaller ones. But, It would make sense to me that smaller lines would come first.
    Spot on. They don't oppose it - legitimiticy comes from established relationships and trust between land managers and builders/groups. This takes way longer than most people realize, and I'm very thankful that a few groups in the Wasatch are much more proactive than others. Some other areas wait years and years for this, WAFTA has done this in short order by comparison.

The Prof, who was the first to respond to this thread, is in the know. Answer his comparison questions and let him know what ideas you have. I'm sure he would appreciate it and I'm sure he will be able to give you some piece of mind as to why things are the way they are in the park. Also, contact WAFTA and share your feelings. Decide if their vision and your vision correlate. If they do, join and let your voice be heard.
    Pretty high praise there, but I'll do my best. We want trails that are not only challenging but have minimized user conflict and are seen as a positive asset for communities and land managers. We not only want your voice though... we want your time as a volunteer actually CREATING opportunities for yourself and others.

WAFTA gives me hope in the future of Utah freeriding. One day I will be able to change my name from roguebuilder to legitimatetrailbuilder.
    roguebuilder, I hope for the name change too, sooner than later! There are lots of talented and hard-working people in WAFTA working for this. Hopefully it will continue for a long time and we will see things that are appropriate for everyone.

mtbr member
    I think if they let us build something legitimate they would see a lot more activity out there. tables are all good for beginners but it is typically not beginners who are going to go out there and put in the hours building and maintaining

if we can get the green light to build real jumps i will be out there with my tractor and ten buddies building everyday until it is done.

It is a long way to go just to ride so it better be worth it..

Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird79
    I think if they let us build something legitimate they would see a lot more activity out there. tables are all good for beginners but it is typically not beginners who are going to go out there and put in the hours building and maintaining

if we can get the green light to build real jumps i will be out there with my tractor and ten buddies building everyday until it is done.

It is a long way to go just to ride so it better be worth it..

AGREED! Give us the go ahead and some water and we will build some good lines.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Finally! Someone who knows how to build jumps stepped up. I have been waiting for this for so long... I am SO glad that you volunteered to "build some good lines".

Dude - we are bros and all, but seriously? Did you read anyone else's posts or just olsen's? I want bigger lines just like you do. However, the City wants to start with what is out there. They will probably be open to putting in some other lines in the future. However, for now, the size of jumps that are approved are out there. The City is really great to work with, but as others have said, it is not ready to commit to huge lines with gap jumps.

Park City has very few gap jumps, and when it was first built, it had no gap jumps. Give it time. And volunteer and help out. That is what will continue building confidence in the City that the riders who are out there working are responsible.

If you would actually head out there on a build day when people are working and City representatives are there, you would know that the City has provided water to the Park. You would also know that you can make suggestions that would probably be well-received by the City folks. However, I understand that it is much easier for you to just post online and complain than it is to actually show up and work on the project. You only work on lines if they are HUGE, eh? Way to give back to the community and sport that you love. It comes across as really selfish. All of the volunteers that regularly go out and work are busy with families, work responsibilities, etc. And many would also prefer larger lines. But they are taking the steps to get the larger lines by working with the right people. They are not just complaining on internet message boards.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i agree with justin, but yeah really it did seem like not much else could be done. imo, the biggest tables were borderline dangerous because the gaps weren't large enough. i'm really looking forward to the single track though...it looked really promising.

i'm really sorry our shop hasn't been out there yet. that's my fault...i've just been slammed with school full time and being at the shop. school ends next week, so alot of us will be out there to help build and grow this place up to its potential

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson
    i agree with justin, but yeah really it did seem like not much else could be done. imo, the biggest tables were borderline dangerous because the gaps weren't large enough. i'm really looking forward to the single track though...it looked really promising.

i'm really sorry our shop hasn't been out there yet. that's my fault...i've just been slammed with school full time and being at the shop. school ends next week, so alot of us will be out there to help build and grow this place up to its potential
    That would be sweet to have you guys out there. As I said, the City is pretty open to ideas, but they need to be presented to the right people. I am sure that things will progress as the Park is ridden. However, changes still have to go through the proper channels. I know that may be a bit of a hassle, but that is how it works out there. I would be stoked for you guys to head out and I am sure that the guys really working the Park that live in EM would really appreciate the help and insight. Thanks Nate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    cool...yeah i'm gonna try and get a pretty decent group of guys out for the 9th(we're moving the shop on the 2nd or we'd be out that day). i do like the area alot. i wish there were a place down here in orem that let us build like that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson
    cool...yeah i'm gonna try and get a pretty decent group of guys out for the 9th(we're moving the shop on the 2nd or we'd be out that day). i do like the area alot. i wish there were a place down here in orem that let us build like that
    Awesome on getting a crew on the 9th. Work will be happening this Saturday from 9 to noon for anybody who can make it.

As for the Orem area, take a look around and see if there are any areas that would work. A small area even for a dirt jump park would be cool. Approach the city (or whomever owns the property) with a plan, don't just 'wish'. I'm willing to help however I can.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    yeah...i guess it can't hurt to ask. a few of us met with the park service and got pretty flatly shut down for really anything without maybe 3 years of engineering and land studies that would cost us personally $25k...so that was a little out of question. in alpine there's some stuff being looked at for city dirt jumps that should be a go pretty shortly.

i'll let people know there's work every week up at eagle mountain though and we're pretty stoked to get that going

mtbr member
    I would have been there last weekend but was out of town.. I will be out again this weekend too.. heading to GJ to shoot. Does anyone ever go out on weekdays? I would really like to get out there when everyone is there though and talk about the options.. what about may 2nd, anything planned for that day? Can we get the okay to bring a tractor out?

oh yeah FYI, along with the tables the PC jump park actually has some pretty good sized doubles that I dare to say most people wouldn't hit.. its almost more safe that way because the people who shouldn't ride them don't.. how did they work that out with the city?

ride more.
    Nov 2004

DJs in Park City may be doubles now, but they didn't start out that way when they were built. I was up there for some of the construction and just after they were built - no doubles. The lips may have been a little taller than the middle 'table' part, but they were most definitely NOT traditional doubles. My guess is that Park City is a great example of what can happen over time. The city gets more comfortable with the jumps, riders get better, proposals get made, and the jumps change. I am sure it will happen in Eagle Mountain over time. As for the tractor - not likely, but we can look into it. There is an easement over utility lines that is in play. The power/gas companies have said that we cannot take heavy equipment over or near the lines. However, exceptions have been made for skidsters (sp?) as I recall. Darin will be able to better apprise you of that. I would hate to have you drive that thing out there only to have it sit on the trailer...

Nate - Orem proposal - the patch of ground just north of the skate park. I know it is a bit of a drainage right now, but who knows - the city may go for it. If you really want to get things happening, it is in your best interest to be more involved with an organized group - like WAFTA. It would be great to have a (pro)active voice down in UT county, especially for WAFTA, as it is growing and the more active and proactive members it has, the better its chances of seeing the success we would all like to see. WAFTA folks met with USFS officials and got the same speech you apparently did. However, we have a good relationship with them and are organized in the hope that at some point in the future, we can be instrumental in building a legal DH trail on Squaw.

Organization is what the land managers/cities, etc. are looking for. A bunch of dudes building jumps in the city is not going to fly with most city officials. A registered Utah corporation, with a board of directors, experienced trail builders (with IMBA credentials and certifications), and other corporate formalities are much more appealing to city officials. It was not until WAFTA organized that Draper and EM really opened up to the ideas of building DJs, freeride parks, etc. They realized they could rely on volunteers (members of WAFTA) to help build and maintain the parks and they knew they could rely on an organized body to help out. A legal entity could enter into agreements with the city. Food for thought. If you want to get more involved, log onto www.waftautah.com and click the contact link. Or you can give me a call and I can put you in touch with the right people.

Trust me - the dudes involved with WAFTA are trying to get things built here that will appeal to a wide range of riders. I dont do back flips on DJs, but I would love to build some DJs and watch riders much better than me do backflips. Likewise, I may be a better rider than some, but I still want to build trails for my abilities and others abilities. That only helps our cause in the long run. More riders actively involved in an organization (WAFTA), of all skill levels, means more trails for everyone. And as riders' skills improve, so will the trails. It is a numbers game, and WAFTA needs all the support and membership it can get.

Sorry for the rant - just wanted to answer questions and provide some insight...

And by the way, stoked on the support so far. Things are happening.

Mike
    Last edited by drboudreaux; 04-23-2009 at 04:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    cool...i just paid my dues and left my phone number. give me a call soon and we can try and help out as much as we can

Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    Finally! Someone who knows how to build jumps stepped up. I have been waiting for this for so long... I am SO glad that you volunteered to "build some good lines".

Dude - we are bros and all, but seriously? Did you read anyone else's posts or just olsen's? I want bigger lines just like you do. However, the City wants to start with what is out there. They will probably be open to putting in some other lines in the future. However, for now, the size of jumps that are approved are out there. The City is really great to work with, but as others have said, it is not ready to commit to huge lines with gap jumps.

Park City has very few gap jumps, and when it was first built, it had no gap jumps. Give it time. And volunteer and help out. That is what will continue building confidence in the City that the riders who are out there working are responsible.

If you would actually head out there on a build day when people are working and City representatives are there, you would know that the City has provided water to the Park. You would also know that you can make suggestions that would probably be well-received by the City folks. However, I understand that it is much easier for you to just post online and complain than it is to actually show up and work on the project. You only work on lines if they are HUGE, eh? Way to give back to the community and sport that you love. It comes across as really selfish. All of the volunteers that regularly go out and work are busy with families, work responsibilities, etc. And many would also prefer larger lines. But they are taking the steps to get the larger lines by working with the right people. They are not just complaining on internet message boards.
    Wow, Thanks BRO!! I wonder why more people do not want to join WAFTA? That rant just made you look sooo stupid. It sounded to me like this guy was just offering to help out and you totally slammed him. Okay, we all get that you want smaller jumps. You shouldn't get all bent out of shape when someone has suggestions to try and help out.

Sep 2006
    This came from the WAFTA spring meeting notes:

•"We discussed a draft document we’re working on for how changes to trails WAFTA is working on get done. This will be distributed but the bottom line is that as you’re out at Eagle Mountain, or Draper, keep an eye out for things that we could do to improve the trails. The land managers will need to approve them, but we’ve had good luck running things by them and getting positive feedback."

Soo, I kept an eye on things out at Eagle Mountain and made some suggestions. Why don't you guys run those suggestions by the land managers instead of wasting everyone's time in this forum by raving and ranting about how you are a family man and like small jumps. If you get such positive feedback, what's the harm?

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhof
    Wow, Thanks BRO!! I wonder why more people do not want to join WAFTA? That rant just made you look sooo stupid. It sounded to me like this guy was just offering to help out and you totally slammed him. Okay, we all get that you want smaller jumps. You shouldn't get all bent out of shape when someone has suggestions to try and help out.
    You're welcome BRO. I have no idea who you are, but I know both freebird and freedomrocker personally. We are buds, and I meant no offense to freedomrocker by saying that. I hope he didn't take it that way. The point is that I have not seen any of those guys out there when I have been there. I also doubt that they have been out to work on an official dig day where City/Park reps are out there.

The easiest and best way to contribute is to show up, help, and offer suggestions. But ripping on guys and insulting the work that has been done by stating that they will build some "good lines" is lame and disrespectful. "Good" is a very subjective term. Likely, you and I have a similar definition of "good". But, others don't. And the City may not be into building "good" lines in a Park that is in its infancy and not even open to the public. I bet that "good" lines will eventually be built. But give it time mate. 8 months ago the area where the jumps are was sage brush and desert. Today, there is a water line installed, two trails, a DJ area, a pump track, and ladders (skills area) for improving people's skills. Guys spent time away from their families, jobs, and other responsibilities to volunteer to build that park, and all you can do is imply (or straight up say) that it sucks and you want to go out there and build "good" lines. LAME. What have you done to make the situation better? My guess is very little.

Also, I am not WAFTA nor I am even on the Board of WAFTA. You're questions have been answered numerous times by several people (roguebuilder, theProf, and E).

It has also been posted numerous times on message boards (and in person) that the builders out there NEED help and are asking for help. If you want to help, head out there on Saturday morning at 9 am. Or, PM me and I will get you the guy's number out there who is working with the City. Until then, your credibility is in the toilet.

doc

mtbr member
    "...You're killing me Smalls!"

We've agreed with your vision. We've answered your questions with logical respectful explanations. We've informed you of a legitimate route to offer your ideas... why so hurt buckaroo?
    Last edited by roguebuilder; 04-27-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Mar 2008

Where is the love

Dang man, why so much hate. We wouldn't have anything out at eagle mountain if it weren't for these guys. So it is still a small park and it doesn't have huge gap jumps, so what, it is better than nothing. No city or organization is going to let you go out and build huge crap right off the start. That would be ridiculous. Walk before you run.

That being said, I don't want my comment from before to make me look like I don't appreciate the time and work that went into this. I am excited to see what comes of all this a few years down the road, and think the park is still a lot of fun right now. If we could get a legal downhill trail for squaw peak, that would be sweet.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Quote Originally Posted by c6corvettezo6
    That being said, I don't want my comment from before to make me look like I don't appreciate the time and work that went into this. I am excited to see what comes of all this a few years down the road, and think the park is still a lot of fun right now. If we could get a legal downhill trail for squaw peak, that would be sweet.
    DH trail on Squaw? I would LOVE to see that happen. I spent my fair share of time away from classes digging jumps into Squaw.

As for getting a "legal" trail up there, I dont see it happening in the near future. That is not to say that we can't keep riding the trail(s) up there, but having a sanctioned and recognized DH trail may take some serious work. We met with the USFS two years ago about the need for a trail there, etc. The USFS understands the need and would "like" to build a trail, but must comply with NEPA studies, etc. (read: mucho red tape and $$$$$$$$$$$) to get the trail approved. Also, the trail as it exists today crosses land owned by several different property owners, including the USFS and Provo City. It would likely be an administrative nightmare to coordinate all that (not to say that it can't be done - as I said, I would love to see it happen...)

Mar 2008

Squaw

I love squaw peak. I would love to go up and help dig some up there sometime if people are doing it. Let me know. I hear ya on all the red tape. It is a sweet trail though, nice and easy to run a shuttle loop up there too. Speaking of that, does anyone know if the gate is open yet? I haven't checked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    problem with squaw peak is that even though it should be grandfathered in...it's not. they want thousands put down as a deposit to do land testing, and even if there was testing, it would never pass. There's so much erosion up there that the engineer would just laugh. just ride it as is...they've said they probably won't bother us

Members who have read this thread: 0