Dutch Hollow is now pay to play- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dutch Hollow is now pay to play

It had been a few weeks since I rode up Dutch Hollow as my friends don't really care for it much but it is close to where I live and so we usually ride PC and the surrounding areas. Got my brother to come over to ride today and we went to the Dutch Hollow trail head to find the new signs and money tubes. The MF want $7 a car to ride or the $75 a year for the state parks pass. Now this is where I sing Country Joe and the Fish from Woodstock, Give me an F, Give me a U, give me a C and you all know the rest. So we rode the other side on the Riverview trail instead. I guess that is now my go to trail for local riding as the state is not going to get a single fake copper penny from me to ride trails that could be in much better shape then they are. I am 15 minutes from 400 free miles of trails in PC.
    Such a long long time to be gone, such a short time to be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

No Free Trails.

There's no such thing as a free trail. You might not be paying to play every time you pull up to the trailhead, but most of PC's non-resort trails are funded through community support. I'd encourage you to do your part and kick in a small donation to ensure trail access in the years to come by giving to either Mountain Trails or Summit Land Conservancy this week during Live PC Give PC. Details on how here - Support Our Trails During Live PC Give PC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think its great that local businesses adopt trails. I'll continue to spend my hard earned coin at those establishments when Im up in PC mountain biking.

also there are some benefits to those organizations who adopt trails
    -Your sponsor name will be prominently displayed on your adopted trail signs
    -Recognition on the MTF E-Newsletter (8,000 subscribers)
    -Recognition on MTF Facebook and Twitter

There are free trails out there that are built and maintained by mountain bikers out of the goodness of their hearts and simply out of the passion for mountain biking that do it for free and in turn costs no one any money.

Its been a long time since Ive been over to Dutch Hollow but from what I remember their trails were in VERY rough shape and really not the greatest...Would have a hard time dropping 7$ to ride when that money is most likely going to go towards maintaining their golf course, campsites etc. Anyways just park outside and pedal your bike in.

Frame Building Moderator
    Funny how spending hundreds of dollars on some part that's 10 grams lighter makes perfect sense to people but paying for great trails (never been to Dutch Hollow so I have no idea if it's great, of course) is somehow a violation of your rights...

At the very least, you're only allowed to complain if you have put in at least a day or two of volunteer trail work this year and/or donated to MT, IMBA, etc.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    customer-perceived value, is the difference between a prospective customer's evaluation of the benefits and costs of one product when compared with others. Value may also be expressed as a straightforward relationship between perceived benefits and perceived costs: Value = Benefits / Cost.

The customers get benefits and assume costs. Value is thus subjective (i.e., a function of consumers' estimation) and relational (i.e., both benefits and cost must be positive values).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Funny how spending hundreds of dollars on some part that's 10 grams lighter makes perfect sense to people but paying for great trails (never been to Dutch Hollow so I have no idea if it's great, of course) is somehow a violation of your rights...

At the very least, you're only allowed to complain if you have put in at least a day or two of volunteer trail work this year and/or donated to MT, IMBA, etc.

-Walt
    You are confusing two different types of riders. There are those riders who will gladly pay hundreds of dollars to save a few grams. They don't care if the trail is sanitized and looks like another version of the shoreline trail, as long as they get their KOM.

Then there are those riders who want something more technical and advanced. When I went to Deer Valley closing weekend the wait in the lift line was around an hour or more. Compared with a wait of around ten minutes last year. Just because people aren't spending money where you want it, doesn't mean they aren't spending money. You discount the fact that people won't pay or help build a downhill/flow/all mountain/enduro/whatever you want to call it type trail. There is definitely the market out there that is growing, but few options.

mtbr member
    I won't pay hundreds of dollars for a few grams of weight nor will I pay hundreds to do lift assisted riding, much less to park. Turns are meant to be earned just like skiing. I do and have donated time and money to those that make and work on the trails but I see Dutch Hollow as a money grab by the state. In all honesty the past couple of years there has been very little if any work done in Dutch Hollow as the steeper trails are nothing but washed out deep streams now.
    Such a long long time to be gone, such a short time to be.