Driving to Gooseberry in a coupe?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Wink Driving to Gooseberry in a coupe?

Hey guys,

My friend tells me taking the dirt road leading up to Gooseberry in a coupe is a no-no. Unfortunately that's all we have available to us. Do we definitely need to have a 4x4 to make it up to the Gooseberry Mesa trailhead or will we get by with just a coupe?

Also, if we can't make it, anyone willing to shuttle me and a friend up that last bit of road on Saturday morning?

mtbr member
    It's no problem at all, as long as it's not raining. If it does rain, the clay gets impassable for a non 4wd pretty quickly.

mtbr member
    The road smooths right out at 55mph.

should know better.....
    Drove out with two minivans last week, grand caravan and kia sedona (?)
    Washboards smooth right out at 40+ (seriously). There are a few spots where you'll have to slow way down, to avoid bottoming out, but you'll see them. cattle grates etc, and specific rocky areas.
    If it rains enough though, all bets are off. You will not get in, or out.
    Bottom line, Absolutely no problem unless it has rained and there are ruts.
    Last edited by neverwalk; 10-22-2009 at 05:03 PM.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    oohhh ya! And if you go faster you can skip a lot of them!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    just make sure you come from the hurricane side ( off 59 ) not the springdale side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    how is that section of road? After we drove to Kanab, we realized we could have gone from Gooseberry down to Zion then Kanab that way.

Would have been interesting to try.

should know better.....
    Not terrible, but I'd say easier to go down then up. There are a few spots where you need to weave around some exposed rock, but if you go slow it's fine. I drove up in a minivan, it was fine, traction control kicked in a couple of times, but nothing too severe. I was very dry and dusty when I was there.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hey everyone, same question. Just looking for some updated information.

We are headed to Zion over the upcoming holiday weekend to do a couple and canyons and want to hit GBM on the way in or out. Has anyone driven up lately and can supply information on road conditions. We are driving a Honda Civic with Thule rack in back. Ground clearance is minimal and the rack only adds to the problem.

Hurricane vs Springdale approach? We may be coming from the Watchtower campground.

Any recent info appreciated.
    maurice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mauric6943

We are headed to Zion over the upcoming holiday weekend to do a couple and canyons and want to hit GBM on the way in or out. Has anyone driven up lately and can supply information on road conditions. We are driving a Honda Civic with Thule rack in back. Ground clearance is minimal and the rack only adds to the problem.

Hurricane vs Springdale approach? We may be coming from the Watchtower campground.

maurice
    No rain recently so the road is fine. You will have to go slow and pick your lines carefully in a couple of spots if your ground clearance is suspect, nothing that's not doable though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

maurice

I have to disagree ... super dry conditions, and the road is a mess ... will rip a honda civic to pieces...i think. i was there over 2 weeks ago now...so I could be wrong. Right in the steepest part of the hill, its pretty rugged.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have driven my Mazda Protege5 in several times without any issues at all. You will be just fine!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    I have to disagree ... super dry conditions, and the road is a mess ... will rip a honda civic to pieces...i think. i was there over 2 weeks ago now...so I could be wrong. Right in the steepest part of the hill, its pretty rugged.
    The road is as good as it ever gets. Hopefully you don't ride like you drive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    How long is the road? Can you ride in on bike? Where is the safest parking spot to ride from, any bike shops near?
    Where's BAKERSFIELD?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Good job!

The road is as good as it ever gets. Hopefully you don't ride like you drive.
    Looks like there are a couple of different opinions but we won't know until we try. We may opt to do Slickrock Swanp instead. We've ridden both in the past. There is also the possibility that the rest of our group may show up in time to transport the bikes for use.

I will post up after the weekend to let others know how it went.

Thx!!!!
    maurice

mtbr member
    yep. the faster the better. i've driven it a couple times and have never had 4wd.

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    A couple years ago I drove a heavily loaded VW GTI up there without incident.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I live @ the bottom of the hill on the Rockville side and agree with both sides here. The road IS as good as it gets right now and is only rough on the "Crybaby" hill part. I think it boils down to if you have experience driving sedans on dirt roads, go slow pick your line and you will be fine. If you are squeamish about driving on dirt roads skip it and come from the apple valley/hurricane side. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

I will post up after the weekend to let others know how it went.

Thx!!!!
    maurice
    Wow, what a great 5 days in UT!!! We arrived on Wed and hit up Slickrock Swamp, then followed that up with three days of canyoneering (Behunin, Pine Creek (cold), and Mystery). Somewhere in there we squeezed in a big loop on GBM and it kicked our a$$es like usual.

as for the road, we took the back way up from Zion in a high clearance vehicle but we did look closely at the main road and it is doubtful that the civic would've made it. I did see a couple of coupes on the main road and one in the parking lot but they did not sit as low as our vehicle.

maurice

Members who have read this thread: 0