Draper/South Mountain Master plan- Mtbr.com
    Ridin in UT

Draper/South Mountain Master plan

Hey guys, I am excited to say that there is an incredible opportunity in Draper right now for expanded mountain biking trails on South Mountain!

A group of us met on Saturday to sign up as "trail captains" during work days and we got the scoop on the all the upcoming plans. I have to say, as stubborn as Draper city is on some things they appear to be very progressive and are pushing hard to lay as much trail as possible on South Mountain.

What this means for us: 1) trail work days every Saturday until June with scouts doing eagle projects, 2) A city sanctioned downhill specific mountain bike trail (no horses, no hikers, no uphill traffic), 3) Several, several more miles of multi-use trails in Draper to add to the already great network, and 4) a possible pump track and a skills park! They are open to pretty much anything, and we just have to get the right people involved to present a solid proposal for what we want. I know WAFTA will be involved and the more people who can help with ideas and can swing a pulaski, the better.

Let me know if you're interested in helping out on a trail day or in planning the skills park, etc.. Pretty soon we'll be getting a schedule of work days and meetings.

Actually Brad Jensen is the city trails coordinator and he is the one to talk specifics with, but if you're interested in just helping with some sweat equity feel free to let me know.

Ride on!
    Ian

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    So does this mean the routes will be flagged every Saturday and we just show up, meet with the crew and get digging?

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Side Down
    Hey guys, I am excited to say that there is an incredible opportunity in Draper right now for expanded mountain biking trails on South Mountain!

A group of us met on Saturday to sign up as "trail captains" during work days and we got the scoop on the all the upcoming plans. I have to say, as stubborn as Draper city is on some things they appear to be very progressive and are pushing hard to lay as much trail as possible on South Mountain.

What this means for us: 1) trail work days every Saturday until June with scouts doing eagle projects, 2) A city sanctioned downhill specific mountain bike trail (no horses, no hikers, no uphill traffic), 3) Several, several more miles of multi-use trails in Draper to add to the already great network, and 4) a possible pump track and a skills park! They are open to pretty much anything, and we just have to get the right people involved to present a solid proposal for what we want. I know WAFTA will be involved and the more people who can help with ideas and can swing a pulaski, the better.

Let me know if you're interested in helping out on a trail day or in planning the skills park, etc.. Pretty soon we'll be getting a schedule of work days and meetings.

Actually Brad Jensen is the city trails coordinator and he is the one to talk specifics with, but if you're interested in just helping with some sweat equity feel free to let me know.

Ride on!
    Ian

mtbr member
    So does this mean the routes will be flagged every Saturday and we just show up, meet with the crew and get digging?
    I would answer with a qualified 'yes'. They have a few XC/Multi-use routes flagged, and there will be groups out there a few times a week from what I understand. I think Tuesday & Thursday evenings, and Saturdays is what they're hoping for. Draper City is hoping to post a where/when listing so folks who have time can show up at the right spot. The scouts who are organizing the project get credit for any hours worked so if you show up to dig make sure you sign their list and help them out as well.

As RSD mentions, it looks to be pretty exciting. WAFTA was represented at the training day and helped build some trail. Draper has purchased tools and will make them available to trail leaders in conjunction with their volunteers. They have a couple of ideas where they want to build a skills park & pump track. The downhill specific trail isn't flagged yet but we're hoping that Brad and some WAFTA folks will be able to get that done in the near future and take that on as their project. The plus for this is that land has been purchased as 'open space' and in spite of the crazy development that has happened much of the trail is in this area and won't be bulldozed in for the next condo project.

Again, it was pretty cool to see new trails built and how open the Draper folks are to everything.

mtbr member

awesome

sweet i live at the bottomo f S. mountain and ride the draper trails nearly everyday. please let us know when and where we can show up to help expand the trails....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    we've got a group of regulars also. Keep information posted here regarding where/when and we can help out.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Well, I have experience building pump tracks so, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand. Love to see a skills area come together w/jumps and drops, skinnies, etc

banned
    Bump

Ridin in UT
    Here are just a few pictures I took at the last trail day of before and after, just to give you an idea of what we're working with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Who IS that really ripped guy swinging the pulaski? No wait... nevermind.

Nice photos! As you can see from the before and after, it is definately hard digging. Especially through that oak section! The trail is coming along nicely, however. If I hear about more digging this weekend which is supposed to happen (come on guys, it's supposed to be raining and you can still dig in the rain even though you're not supposed to ride in it) I will post something.

Oh, if you're looking for pump track info, look no further http://www.leelikesbikes.com/ as long as you're willing to cough up $10. When you have one in your back yard, post something here so we all can come ride it!

Prof

Members who have read this thread: 0