Draper DH (Maple Hollow DH) trail- Mtbr.com
    ride more.
    Nov 2004

Draper DH (Maple Hollow DH) trail

The Draper DH trail is nearing completion (to where it will be rideable and officially open). The remainder of the trail will be completed next year, but we are hoping to finish the existing section and get it opened by Draper City before the snow (really) flies.

This Saturday at 830am, we will be meeting to polish the trail, do some berm work, place signs and safety features in the trail, and do other finish work. We are hopeful that Draper City will then approve the trail early next week so that it will be rideable for the rest of the year.

The trail is coming along nicely, with berms on almost every turn down the lower half of the existing trail. We are hoping to get the trail legally sanctioned and open by the City so that we can get tires on it and burn it in.

Date: Saturday, October 18
    Time: 830am - 1200 noon
    Note: Please bring your own tools. We will have some available, but we may not have as many as we have had in the past. We are working out those details.

We will have shuttles at the bottom so that we can work our way down making improvements, then shuttle people to the top to their vehicles. We may also get some laps in when we are done.

Please remember, the trail is not officially open yet.

Weather should be beautiful this weekend. See you there.

Team Sanchez
    Keep up the good work Dr. B. Me and my crew will be up next summer to hit that one up.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    The trail is getting really cool.... photos here: http://waftautah.com/forum/index.php?topic=39.0

Hope you all can come out and finish this thing up on Saturday!

mtbr member
    Ok, I've got a few more minutes to post some photos here rather than a link....
    Attached Images Attached Images

ride more.
    Nov 2004

On Saturday, we will have the grill, so bring your own meat and beers/beverages for the post-dig, pre-ride grubbage that will occur. Then, we will get some laps on this trail.

mtbr member
    man that looks SWEET! you gus have done a great job on it
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Nice diggin and test riding with y'all Saturday, that thing is coming along nicely. Now if I could just get the nerve to give some of those features a try. Anyone going to start a new thread or should I just post some pics up here?
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Post up some pics. I was hoping someone would post them up this morning.

It was sweet of you to come out and help dig. You up for a ride on Tuesday afternoon? We will be heading out if you're interested.

mike

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    Post up some pics. I was hoping someone would post them up this morning.

It was sweet of you to come out and help dig. You up for a ride on Tuesday afternoon? We will be heading out if you're interested.

mike
    I'd love to get out there for a ride Tuesday but don't think I'll be able to get out of work, I'm taking off Wed-Mon to go back to Iowa to visit family so skipping out Tues would probably not go over well. I need to get back down there sometime before the snow flies though so I'll keep an eye out here and on the Wafta site for people going to ride it when I get back. Definitely not one that I'm going to go hit solo.

Dr. Pepper drinker

Some pics from the 10/18 work day

Here's a few pics of folks sessioning a few of the features.
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (52.7 KB, 762 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (52.6 KB, 746 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (50.7 KB, 745 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (52.5 KB, 743 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (54.3 KB, 754 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.JPG (53.4 KB, 755 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (62.6 KB, 753 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.JPG (58.9 KB, 752 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.JPG (44.9 KB, 743 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.JPG (52.3 KB, 777 views)

Dr. Pepper drinker
    and one for the road

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Nice shots Brian. Thanks for posting up. Saturday was fun working on the trail and riding. Thanks to all those who came out and swung a hammer and rode. We got a lot of nice work done on the trail and had some fun laps too.

Have fun in Iowa. Weather looks good for some time, so the trail should be good to go for at least another few weeks. Once Draper opens it up officially, we will post up and have some fun down there.

mtbr member

More Maple Hollow Stoke!

I finally got my photos uploaded, here are a few more from our build day. But, before that, a BIG thanks to all who came out, we had some that have been regular attendees and others that were there for the first time - hoping to get final approval for the trail to be open, officially it's still closed... but we don't think for long.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProf
    I finally got my photos uploaded, here are a few more from our build day. But, before that, a BIG thanks to all who came out, we had some that have been regular attendees and others that were there for the first time - hoping to get final approval for the trail to be open, officially it's still closed... but we don't think for long.
    Nice shots Prof, I think that may be the first visual proof that both my tires occasionally leave the ground. Are you sure you didn't photoshop that one? Didn't even see that sign, is that where it merges into the multi use trail at the end?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Nice shots Prof, I think that may be the first visual proof that both my tires occasionally leave the ground. Are you sure you didn't photoshop that one? Didn't even see that sign, is that where it merges into the multi use trail at the end?
    Nope! No photoshop required, just you hitting it!

We've got most of the signs up 'on' the trail (the blue square/black diamond ones) and the one at the very end which is exactly where you describe. There are a couple more that we need to place by some of the lower features. There are a few that will be at the top as well, hopefully in a kiosk-type thing. Basically saying 'downhill only', 'bikes only, no hiking/horses', 'and the one on the entrance filter that says something to the effect of 'this is a reflection of the type of trail, if you're uncomfortable with this you should not start down this trail'. We'll probably have another one that says something to the effect of 'trail modifications must be approved, please don't build/change without approval'.

Also, the official name of the trail is the "Maple Hollow Downhill" as the upper section is also going to be named something related to Maple Hollow, according to the Draper City officials.

I hope to hear from them today as to when they'll be able to take a look and open it up. Will post more when I know more!

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Nice shots Bri! It's nice to see you haven't gotten soft without my presence

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Nice shots Bri! It's nice to see you haven't gotten soft without my presence
    You know me, hitting 1 foot drops like there's no tomorrow!

NOT Team Sanchez
    Beautiful work up there guys, I can't wait to come up next summer and ride, BTW if I lived up there I'd love to help build, it's one of my fave things to do........conceive an idea for some new feature, build it, and ride it...........trouble is as soon as you've ridden it you start itchin' to build something new to excite you. It's addicting!!!!
    I like bikes.

biking is fun
    so is draper dh rideable again? anyone been out there lately. was thinking of going out either today or tomorrow and riding it if it was clear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I rode it last night and ate crap hardcore on the rocky downhill part that connects the top part to the rest of the trail. Sucked mega... Other than that I think I will stick to ridding it during the day and not dusk with my night rider lights.

The trail is very rideable.

mtbr member
    Did you have the staatsbikes van parked up top? If so I think I rode down after you (a bit after 5pm....I had my lights but didn't have to use them). The trail is in great shape. I'm hoping to hit it a few times tomorrow morning.

biking is fun
    rode it for the first time on wed, its pretty fun stuff!!!

the step up is bigger than the pics make it out to be. cased it pretty good the first time but i shot for the longer gap by trying to land on the right. second time i got the middle of the landing fine. were probably going to do bobsled, little cottonwood, then draper tomorrow afternoon. a goodbye to the season day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How do I get to this trail? Where should I park?

Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pbandj19
    How do I get to this trail? Where should I park?
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/DraperDH.htm

May 2008
    So how's the trail looking? Has anyone ridden it this year?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Trail is not ready to be ridden yet this year. Much of the trail is north facing, and when we walked it last weekend, it was still pretty covered in snow. In some sections, the snow was pretty deep. With next weeks' warm weather, the trail may start melting off. WAFTA will have an official work day to buff the trail and check the berms, etc. before the trail opens. Last year, we didnt even start building the trail until May because of the snow.

Please respect the trail and dont ride it when it is snowy/muddy. We are stoked to have
    this trail and want to continue to maintain a good relationship with Draper.

As an aside, WAFTA has talked about running a shuttle in May on a Saturday as part of a WAFTA fundraiser. We'll post up when that weekend is scheduled. WAFTA had it scheduled in the fall last year, but the weather ruined the plans.

If you like the Draper DH or the Eagle Mountain park, please log onto www.waftautah.com and join. We are working on some tee shirts right now for dues paying members, and you will be supporting a great organization composed of riders dedicated to growing mountain biking here in UT.

WAFTA is a Utah non-profit corporation. Its board of directors receive no compensation for doing what they do. All the dues go straight to covering WAFTA's insurance, website hosting fees, materials, tools, etc. Your contribution is tax deductible and will go a long way towards building new trails and protecting the trails you love in the Wasatch. WAFTA needs your support to continue. The economy may be tough, but chip in 1/2 the cost of a DH tire to keep WAFTA alive and well. It can only continue with the support (both physically and financially) of those who love FR/DH in the Wasatch. Please provide any feedback and help WAFTA grow and support the sport that we love.

Thanks.

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    jmcgrew do you own staats on 94th or am I getting the wrong person.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wrong person. Jason H is the guy thats owns Staats.
    VM

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    Wait so who is jmcgrew? Someone said 'did you have the staats van at the top' so I assumed it was Jason. I know him...

Members who have read this thread: 0