Downhill Only Trail in Corner Canyon- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    224

    Downhill Only Trail in Corner Canyon

    I heard that half of the new downhill only trail at the top of Clarks trail in Corner Canyon is open. Has anyone been on it? If you have, how is it? and is it easy to find?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RightInTwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    40
    If you come up Clark's you can't miss it. I thought it was okay but it has a lot of switchbacks on it and I'm not a big fan of those, probably because I suck though.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    50
    I wanted to know the same thing. I've checked forums and asked just about every biker I've come across for some beta on this trail and this is what I've come up with: everyone I've spoken with personally that have ridden the trail say parts of it are okay but it doesn't flow well. I've also heard that it looked and rode like they got it built but didn't pack it in much; maybe in hopes of enough riders on the trail taking care of that part. On the flipside I've also heard a number of people defend the trail on forums. It did seem most of them were WAFTA members who probably put in time on the trail though.

    Honestly, after all the looking and searching I probably could have made it up there and rode the damn thing and formed my own opinion by now. I gotta get my priorities straight.

  4. #4
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,368
    I rode up Hog's Hollow, and down Ghost, and up Clarks. My first time up there. Where is the downhill trail at from the parking lot at the top of Clarks?
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    902
    it leaves that parking lot just to the north of where you come in from Clarks (assuming you rode up Clarks). You can't miss it, its signed and all.

    Is it really downhill only? I didn't see such signage. The one restriction I thought I saw was "no horses" which still makes no sense, because you have a hard time going very fast anyway.

    I agree with other posters - of all the trails up there, that new one it is the least flowy, the slowest, and least fun for going down. I will grant that its still a bit rough around the edges, but the switches are WAY too tight to ever be fast. (a number of them are more than 180 degree turns, practically looping back up hill )

    all the trail work in CC has been awesome, but it seems they tried a bit too hard on this one - squeezing it in between all the other trails already there. but who am i to judge.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qtip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    I can't speak for the folks who have spent so much time scouting out the areas and designing and building this new trail, but I do know that the flow that exists is intentional. And it does flow, just not in the full speed straight shot Clark's sort of way. A lot of thought went into building a sustainable trail with different aspects than you find on the typical corner canyon trail. Tight twisty sections resemble a bit of what you find on John's trail in PC, and I know there are additional differences planned on the next section that is currently being flagged and built (think Spin Cycle trail).

    This is not the DH only (WAFTA) trail that takes off from Suncrest.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheProf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    150
    From what I know (and that isn't much, I know) this is a one-direction XC type trail for bikes only. When you say DH, it conjures up a whole different mindset. All designed to help reduce conflict and increase the trail availability.

    So, as qtip mentioned, this is quite different from the Maple Hollow DH (which is the one down from Suncrest).

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    224
    Thanks for the replies, that is what I was wondering if it was anything similar to the suncrest trail that I have been on a few times. It would be nice to have one to ride up to and bomb down, but apparently this isn't it.

  9. #9
    Ride and Smile
    Reputation: axolotl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProf
    From what I know (and that isn't much, I know) this is a one-direction XC type trail for bikes only. When you say DH, it conjures up a whole different mindset. All designed to help reduce conflict and increase the trail availability.

    So, as qtip mentioned, this is quite different from the Maple Hollow DH (which is the one down from Suncrest).
    Downhill only is downhill only. "one direction xc" does not really exist. Every trail (whether we call it xc or dh) can have 40lb bikes and riders with amor. You just aren't likely to see them on a lot of trails. It is better to think of it this way, every trail (unless it's flat) is a DH trail. Are there any uphill only trails?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by qtip
    I can't speak for the folks who have spent so much time scouting out the areas and designing and building this new trail, but I do know that the flow that exists is intentional. And it does flow, just not in the full speed straight shot Clark's sort of way. A lot of thought went into building a sustainable trail with different aspects than you find on the typical corner canyon trail. Tight twisty sections resemble a bit of what you find on John's trail in PC, and I know there are additional differences planned on the next section that is currently being flagged and built (think Spin Cycle trail).

    This is not the DH only (WAFTA) trail that takes off from Suncrest.
    That's cool, I hope I didn't sound too critical. The fact that people spent time and energy putting these trails together is awesome, and I have no place to criticize their decisions. But I will anyway - thank god for the internet! I guess I just don't quite see the point of a trail that is directional ( downhill ) where you can not really get much speed up. It makes much more sense to make a trail directional to avoid conflicts - which would happen if the trail facilitated high speeds with blind corners or jumps or whatever. The other trails ( ghost falls and whatever the one in the middle is called ) are both much more conducive to fast fun riding, and would benefit from a directional ( or at least "no horses" ) designation.

    Oh yeah, I forgot. Johns is another perfect example of a trail is that is way better going up than coming down. I've always thought corners are only fun if you are carving them and carrying speed. Having to come almost to a stop is sort of contrary to mountain biking fun for me. ( again, obviously this is my opinion and I would never judge someone for not agreeing with me.... but anyone that thinks otherwise is obviously kind of twisted because they like using their brakes and going slowly around things )

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qtip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    Johns is another perfect example of a trail is that is way better going up than coming down.
    I probably shouldn't admit this in an open forum like this, but I rode the 'new' trail two Saturday's ago from the bottom to the top. It was 5am so I didn't think I'd be having issues with other riders. Similar to John's, it rode very well in that direction. So well that I I went back on a night ride last week and did it again on my SS. I enjoy the trail in both directions.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ErrantGorgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    445
    Its is going to be a super tasty trail when finished. Great design. I kind of like the idea of being able to ride up the trail as well but I can't complain when so much work and effort has gone into a great trail in my backyard. Thanks to all those who have contributed!!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    224
    I finally rode the finished half of the trail. I personally would rather come back down clarks trail, it seems like a better ride to me, but this new trail is a lot longer, but has a ton of switchbacks to achieve this. It is kind of a flow trail with some rollers. It is cool that it is downhill only though so that you can bomb it without being too worried. Thanks for everyone that has put a lot of time into building these trails.

  14. #14
    Fartographer
    Reputation: Photo-John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianRepresentative
    I finally rode the finished half of the trail. I personally would rather come back down clarks trail, it seems like a better ride to me, but this new trail is a lot longer, but has a ton of switchbacks to achieve this. It is kind of a flow trail with some rollers. It is cool that it is downhill only though so that you can bomb it without being too worried. Thanks for everyone that has put a lot of time into building these trails.
    Personally, I wish Clark's was uphill only. It is fun to come down. But with so much uphill traffic, I think it's asking for troulle to ride down it. I have been on both ends of near accidents on Clark's. With the two new trails at the top of Clark's and the really good stuff up at Jacob's Ladder, I don't see any real reason to ride down Clark's anymore.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

  15. #15
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,133
    I completely agree.

  16. #16
    gunslinger
    Reputation: selector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Personally, I wish Clark's was uphill only. It is fun to come down. But with so much uphill traffic, I think it's asking for trouble to ride down it.
    Woudn't it be nice if folks could temper their riding/speed knowing a given trail had a lot of climbers? Impossible these days in our world of "it's all about me" i.e. selfishness. You could probably post someone @ the top of Clark's warning every rider to expect a lot of climbers and they'd still disregard it.

    I ride downhill out of necesity only so Clark's is an easy/mellow way back to my truck. Luckily, I ride Clark's in the dark 9 of 10 times and I'm able to see the lights from those riding down and they see me. I'm up there climbing (@ ~ 0500) then on my way home (@ ~ 0545) most times when the park is "closed". It keeps me out of the faces of other riders/runners/horses. Yeah, the park is closed and probably a bit selfish of me for not following the rules, but...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SingleWhiteCaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    ...... Are there any uphill only trails?
    I know Prime Cut is not uphill only, but is it the only trail at 18 road people go uphill on? Point being, it's a pretty obvious uphill so I wouldn't just turn off my brain, turn up my ipod and ride with reckless abandon like I do on Crest...er....I mean bobsled.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.