Downhill coaching in Park City- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Downhill coaching in Park City

I'm in Park City and would like to get some downhill coaching.
    Can anybody reccomend someone. I know they have coaches at Deer Valley. Will I get real,seasoned "coaching " there?
    Thanks

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Yep, I think there is a gravity group with the PC Young Rider's program. Not sure what level the coaching is though.

I would recommend this guy
    MJ's Cannonball Racing - Home

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Downhill coaching in Park City

Yes, you will get "seasoned" coaches at Deer Valley. I basically have learned how to mountain bike from Jeff, an instructor there. I started at the beginning of last summer as a beginner and was able to do the double black trails at Deer Valley within a week or so of coaching. I haven't ridden with the other instructors there but I know that they do have a few other good teachers. I highly recommend it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Flowtron,great advise.I contacted Matt and he would have been perfect except he was at a race with his students.He did recommend his friend Doug Gormley at DV. I came in last minute they juggled some things around and got me a time slot with him.
    It couldn't have been better. Being a rider from Florida this terrain is quite different and calls for different riding style.I do some XC racing and consider myself a fairly skilled and technical rider but not used to the combination of steep,chunky and longer descents.
    We started on a blue trail and quickly moved onto black then double black trails.Doug worked with me on several elements of body positioning including moving me away from flat turn style of turning to a more active leaning/steering vs steering.The moves are something I did already but were more pronounced due to the steepness of the terrain, the speed and quick change of direction required.
    We worked on line choice,several times on key parts of the trail we would get off our bikes we would have me choose the line I would take and would point out the advantages and dis-advantages of my choice and offer alternate lines and the pros/cons of those choices.We worked on my head position and it made an immediate impact on my riding.His main message was vision and how seeing farther up the trail created options and how fluidity of body and bike meant you would never be forced to take a line you didn't intend to.
    I knew I could ride these trails,but without Doug walking me through them explaining the nuances and helping me with a plan for action,I would have never done these trails on my visit.I would only have wished I would have ridden them.
    I rode Upper/aspen slalom,fireswamp,Thieves forest,Devo.
    I would not hesitate to recommend Doug at Deer Valley

Kell

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    That's awesome. Doug is a good dude and knows his stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Guys,

I was staying in DV this past week as well and saw this thread. I ended up booking a 2 hour private with Doug to work on my cornering at race speeds. He was awesome! I was able to put his corrections into my riding immediately and couldn't be happier with the coaching.

Wish I was more local. I would have him coach me regularly.

Thanks for posting! I wouldn't have booked the session otherwise.