Doglake+snow+pugsley=fun- Mtbr.com
    Waiting for Godot

Doglake+snow+pugsley=fun

Rode up to dog lake today. our first real snow fall of the year, almost one foot. so much fun i did it twice.

if anybody has a snow bike, pm me and lets get out there before the snow melts into the mud

Out riding, leave a message

Bored Carp
    I saw some tracks up there, figured it must be Krispy - but I guess it was you instead! It WAS beautiful up there.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    I'm going to build a snow bike. I guess you had good luck with the Endos. I don't know what other tire you would use in deep snow. Nokian makes tires with studs, but they are now very wide. They would work good for roads that have been plowed. I wanted to use the nokian gazzaloddi 3.0, but they don't make it anymore.

Got any thoughts on tires.

Waiting for Godot
    what is your width max front and back?

do you want to ride deeper soft snow or hardpack.

i can ride my 29er running 2.4 Racing ralphs on harder snow, but have to defer to the endomorphs and the pug on deeper and softer snow.

mtbr member
    I'm excited for the white stuff to start flying. Here's my snowbike. It's not an official pug, but it's got a pug front end w/ an endo and a 3.0 on the back....on LM rims. It floats pretty well. I'd like to go hit Crest on snow sometime.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    what is your width max front and back?

do you want to ride deeper soft snow or hardpack.

i can ride my 29er running 2.4 Racing ralphs on harder snow, but have to defer to the endomorphs and the pug on deeper and softer snow.
    Max Front and Back is whatever I build. The want to build a snow commuter. I have a KM with 2.3 Exi Wolfs. I don't have a problem with fresh snow. It's when I have to ride on snowy roads that cars have driven on. When you ride on a snow packed down by car tires sometimes it gives way under your tires causing your front tire to turn on way or the other. I was hoping a Surly Endo would be wide enough to stop that.

I'd like to run 3x9 and still use a 73mm BB shell. I don't think that will be possible. I don't want to use a 100 shell because of the Q factor, and HammerSchmitt make a 80mm. I see that 1x1 has a Endo on the back, but it also has 1 up front and I'd like to use a triple. I'll problably has to comprimise somewhere.

Waiting for Godot
    "I have a KM with 2.3 Exi Wolfs. I don't have a problem with fresh snow. "

you are not going to follow me on my pug with just 2.3's . you will either sink thru the snow or just stop. maybe on harder snow, but then traction is so minimal that you can't climb past a 8-10% grade and coming down is like riding a snow saucer(no steering or stopping)

"it's when I have to ride on snowy roads that cars have driven on. When you ride on a snow packed down by car tires sometimes it gives way under your tires causing your front tire to turn on way or the other. I was hoping a Surly Endo would be wide enough to stop that."

it does, you float on the snow. but they do wear on the street kinda fast.

"I'd like to run 3x9 and still use a 73mm BB shell. I don't think that will be possible. "

nope. you won't get around that wide tire

"I don't want to use a 100 shell because of the Q factor, and HammerSchmitt make a 80mm. I see that 1x1 has a Endo on the back, but it also has 1 up front and I'd like to use a triple. I'll problably has to comprimise somewhere."

you get used to the q factor pretty fast. no biggy really

you won't need the large ring on the snow. quite hard getting up that much speed. then stopping wouldn't happen too fast either.
    thats a Nokian Gazza 2.8 or 3.0 or something. not quite an undo. endos won't fit on the back of a 1x1.

btw i saw that bike when it was for sale a while back. or one just like it.

mtbr member
    Yep, the 3.0 fits fine, but there is no way an Endo will fit the 1x1 without major frame mods or a much narrower rim.

I had the bike for sale a while ago and decided to keep it....it works for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice bike, Scotty. Wouldn't mind riding it when I'm in town ;-) Too bad you weren't with Joe and me on the Crest last T-Day. Good stuff. Rode tot he top of the mountain here last Saturday - top of the mountain in ~6,500' and got some snow - 3-4 inches worth. I'll be seeing ya in Dec!

Ed

Members who have read this thread: 0