dog lake/wasatch crest on a cross bike?- Mtbr.com
    ...a wiggle theres a way

dog lake/wasatch crest on a cross bike?

Hi everyone i am just curious if anyone has ridden dog lake or the wasatch crest on a cross bike and if so any advice you'd give to someone contemplating riding on a crossbike?

thanks

joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Do it.

Dog lake from Millcreek would be a great crossbike ride IMHO. its smooth and not so steep that the low gears are going to have you walking. The Crest will be a little more difficult as it is a pretty long climb from the Millcreek side and you might find yourself wishing for a more forgiving gear. I think Puke hill would be basically impossible on cross gearing but maybe you could do it. I barley make it on a MTB. Desending the Crest on a cross bike is just not going to be as much fun as on a good MTB mostly due to tires. Those skinny cross tires will wash on you if you try to take the turns fast, and the geometry is not ideal for riding the spine and other steep stuff. If its all you have I would do it anyway, but I think you would have more fun on the crest with talls gears and some meaty 2.4's.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Alternate trail

If your just looking to get your cross bike out onto some singletrack I've done this ride. Start at Dell resivour go up through Afleck park and up the mormon trail to the top of big mt. There are some sections that are a little steep but doable. I've done it with a 42t single front chainring an a 11x34 mt. cassett .

Rich

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Did you take alot of breaks?

I have a hard time believing you can climb Mormon Pioneer in a 42 tooth chainring. Maybe crossbike gears are different but there is no way I could climb that trail in my MTB's 44 tooth big ring.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

You caught me miss remembering!

OK, after thinking about this a bit I may have had my 39 on the front at the
    time. I do remember it was tough but I was able to grind it out. If you run
    standard double chainring cross gearing I think it would be a 36/42? If so
    you can get up it fine. Sorry I was not trying to make myself sound mega
    climber.

Rich

Homer's problem child
    $50 for video of successful ride of the high line of the spine on a cross bike.

Actually, if you are going to attempt to ride the high line of the spine on a cross bike send me a PM, I'd like to come watch.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen

Actually, if you are going to attempt to ride the high line of the spine on a cross bike send me a PM, I'd like to come watch.

B
    Me too!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Talentless Hack

Sounds....

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy
    Hi everyone i am just curious if anyone has ridden dog lake or the wasatch crest on a cross bike and if so any advice you'd give to someone contemplating riding on a crossbike?
    painful. It would be even more epic if you rode it on a fixed cross.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    painful. It would be even more epic if you rode it on a fixed cross.
    I second that and would add no resting unless you're doing a track stand. Double points for cleaning Puke Hill. Triple points for not breaking a bone or getting a cut that requires stitches on the Spine. A night with my underage sister (or brother if you swing that way) if you come away with no flats and straight rims.

None of this jumping off your ride and shouldering it while jumping over little branches and anchored 2x8's nonsense either! Be a man and bunny hop that sh!t.

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    2 years ago, I rode the Crest on a 10-year old rigid bike. My gearing was not quite low enough for Puke Hill and I wound up hike-a-biking most of it. After that though, the only other time I walked the bike was on the spine, where most people walk anyways. As I remember it, the ride was pretty awesome. Sure, I didn't really have skiinny cross tires, but I'm positive you can make it work.

I must admit though, now that I finally have a full suspension, I highly doubt I'd ever want to go back and do it again on my Mongoose.

Talentless Hack
    The first time I did the the Crest I saw some Dad on a ridgid bike hauling his 4 year old kid on one of those add a bike things. Crazy. It amazes me what can be done and what is done. I myself enjoy the comforts of dual suspension but to each his own.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Waiting for Godot
    i practicly killed myself riding up big cottonwood canyon road, then doing puke hill twice on a 29er 1x9....32t front.

i would certainly add to the pot of money too see a cyclocross ride up puke and down the spine.
    Out riding, leave a message

Members who have read this thread: 0