Dog Lake Clear of snow 6/3?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Dog Lake Clear of snow 6/3?

First post. Got a new bike for the first time in 17 years last week. Havent really ridden in about 10 years. Long story... One of my all time favs is Dog Lake Trail. I am going to try to ride tomorrow. Has anyone ridden to the lake yet? Any snow? Trail conditions? Thanks in advance

Ed

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Upper Millcreek generally doesn't clear of snow till late June. There will probably be some snow higher on the trail. As well as some really muddy sections.
    There is a reason the forest service keeps the upper canyon closed till the first of July.
    I would advise ridding somewhere else.
    Glenwild Trail over by Jeremy Ranch is in wonderful shape right now and of similar difficulty to the Dog Lake trail. I'd hit that up instead. Never idea to ride on really muddy trails, you'll rut them out and ruin it for the rest of us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It might be getting close.

I rode up the pipeline and then rode the road up to bigwater with no snow a couple days ago. Usually some snow drifts remain however. I am going to ride up there again Fri and I will see if I get higher.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yea, I figured I might be jumping the gun on that one. I do know trail etiquette, so no worries about another hack chewing up a trail here. Thanks for the tip about Glenwild I may try that trail instead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Did Glenwild instead. Nice trail thanks for the tip.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    FYI - You're not jumping the gun on the Mill D trail at all (well for the most part) - but.. I rode it last weekend, but DID hit a bit of snow near the intersection of Dog Lake / Desolation Lake (and at that point I turned around).

But snow is melting fast up here and I'm sure it'll be even better this weekend.

As far as mud / ruts - there are none. And really, it bugs me when people complain about a few ruts. Conditions are conditions. I do not believe in plowing through mud, but a puddle here and there isn't going to kill the world (and ruts always smooth out). Please don't freak out - I'm not irresponsible, but it seems as though people get really uptight over riding in a bit of mud here and there.

Members who have read this thread: 0