Does my suspension really stink... or am I just feeling the Porcupine Rim Blues?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Does my suspension really stink... or am I just feeling the Porcupine Rim Blues?

I rode Burro to town last Friday and coudn't believe how rough the rocks felt, especially along the famous Porc Rim Jeep road section with its rearward facing square-edged consecutive hits.

I don't remember it being this bad. Has my suspension begun to suck or does it do that to everyone's bike?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I rode Burro down a couple of weeks ago on a Epiphany and couldn't believe how plush it was on Porcupine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I rode Burro to town last Friday and coudn't believe how rough the rocks felt, especially along the famous Porc Rim Jeep road section with its rearward facing square-edged consecutive hits.

I don't remember it being this bad. Has my suspension begun to suck or does it do that to everyone's bike?
    ================================================== ===============
    were you on the DT or the DW?

i think you're finally feeling the reality of the most overated trail i've ever ridden. i did the Whole Enchilada a few years ago & was totally looking forward to PR thinking it would be the grand finale. i couldn't believe all the reviews i had read calling it the best trail hundreds of people had done no matter where they were from. it had it's great spots for sure, but thinking it was going to be nonstop wonderfulness was an almost complete joke. luckily it turned back into singletrack for a great finish.

or maybe your suspension has begun to suck
    Last edited by nhodge; 09-20-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

DP...once is probably enough for most folks
    breezy shade

Really I am that slow
    I think you need to do it rigid and fixed next time
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

You're probably riding faster and hitting harder, I always have to change my suspension a bit when I am in Moab simply because the terrain is nothing like what I usually ride. A bit higher spring rate and low/high compression since I'd rather skip across the gnar on a less compliant bike than wallow through the squares.

If you're not riding faster, I have had the occasional porcupine ride that seemed slow and like my bike was hanging up on everything. Usually related to how long it's been since I ate because it's a lot of work on that road section and you need to charge it. Low blood sugar = Bad Suspension.

Regarding Best Trail Status - It isn't the best trail because it's fast or easy. I think people love it because it challenges riders with a huge variety of unique and burly terrain and it's tiring, forcing you to ride beyond yourself to clean the tech down low when you're exhausted. Ride it tired or when you aren't really into it and it sucks, or it will own you. Ride it on a good day and it can't be matched. My 2 cents.

Crazed Country Rebel

porcupine requires a lot of finesse to smooth it out. You have to float over that stuff, otherwise you'll hit it hard and probably end up with flats. That's why you see so many people stopped, fixing flats.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    You're probably riding faster and hitting harder, I always have to change my suspension a bit when I am in Moab simply because the terrain is nothing like what I usually ride. A bit higher spring rate and low/high compression since I'd rather skip across the gnar on a less compliant bike than wallow through the squares.
    I agree with this. I don't ride a FS bike to smooth out ripples in the trail or "small bump compliance" as you read around here so much. I ride it so I can fly around the rocks and drops and roots and other trail chunder.

Also, rock is hard Seriously, after a few weeks riding around here with 6inches I started wondering if it was overpsrung, needed a little tuning or like you said, my suspension just "sucked". One ride out on my singles speed cleared all that up I guess, what i'm saying, is it's easy to loose sight of how much your squish is actually doing around here That beings said, awfully easy to demo some new whips around here too!

mtbr member
    I'm not sure I was riding faster, in fact, I may have been going a litter slower through some fo the worst of it because I was running a tube in the back and didn't want to pinch flat. I was alone so not stopping, resting, waiting for others as much made it feel more jarring I'm sure. No recovery time. I did finally stop and adjust my rear shock but, I decreased my spring preload to get it plusher which helped to a point on the smaller to medium stuff, but did make it wallow a bit more in the deeper squares (and bottom easier on the drops).

Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    If you're not riding faster, I have had the occasional porcupine ride that seemed slow and like my bike was hanging up on everything. Usually related to how long it's been since I ate because it's a lot of work on that road section and you need to charge it. Low blood sugar = Bad Suspension.
    I think you may be onto something here. I was on my 7th pretty full day of riding in 8 days, at the bottom of a long, exhausting ride, and it did just seem to be beating me up. I noticed that after I stopped and ate and rested for a bit it wasn't so bad..... for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Regarding Best Trail Status - It isn't the best trail because it's fast or easy. I think people love it because it challenges riders with a huge variety of unique and burly terrain and it's tiring, forcing you to ride beyond yourself to clean the tech down low when you're exhausted. Ride it tired or when you aren't really into it and it sucks, or it will own you. Ride it on a good day and it can't be matched. My 2 cents.
    I agree with this. The porc rim jeep road section is probably my least favorite part of that ride but it's the variety and constantly changing conditions that make Burro to Town such an awesome ride. There's lots of fun to be had on that jeep road section too.... Maybe I was just too tired to enjoy it.

Now if the jeep road part was only a couple miles long, and the singletrack part at the bottom was 5-6 miles long the awesomeness of this ride would increase exponentially.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja View Post
    I rode Burro down a couple of weeks ago on a Epiphany and couldn't believe how plush it was on Porcupine.
    That's because you have 110% efficiency.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    were you on the DT or the DW?

i think you're finally feeling the reality of the most overated trail i've ever ridden. i did the Whole Enchilada a few years ago & was totally looking forward to PR thinking it would be the grand finale. i couldn't believe all the reviews i had read calling it the best trail hundreds of people had done no matter where they were from. it had it's great spots for sure, but thinking it was going to be nonstop wonderfulness was an almost complete joke. luckily it turned back into singletrack for a great finish.

I entertained the idea of taking the 5 Spot for a second but was really glad I had the Knolly.

Yeah, I think TWE would have a hard time living up to all the mega-hype it gets.... but it is an amazing ride with so much to challenge you. I agree that the jeep road part in the middle of porc could be a little shorter.

Hazard County and Kokopelli, OTOH, were more fun than I remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    or maybe your suspension has begun to suck

I think there is something wrong with my fork. It doesn't get anywhere near full travel lately and the compression circuit and spring rate seem really stiff.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-21-2011 at 11:01 AM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot View Post
    I think you need to do it rigid and fixed next time
    Mmmmm, no thanks. Although that would give me a better appreciation for what my suspension is doing like jwind said.

I did do LPS down on my HH100x here a few years ago and it was kind of fun picking smooth lines and working within the limits of the shorter travel bike.

I think I was expecting the Knolly with a 180 coil fork and 160 coil in the back to just be able to totall erase those square edges. I'm not sure anything short of a trophy truck doing 90mph would erase them.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    porcupine requires a lot of finesse to smooth it out. You have to float over that stuff, otherwise you'll hit it hard and probably end up with flats. That's why you see so many people stopped, fixing flats.
    No doubt. Some days you're on it and hitting all the right lines and floating all the worst stuff and other days it owns you. I was tired and hadn't ridden it in a few years so it was owning me, I think. That is one of the things I like about that section. There are so many lines that every ride is a new challenge.

Plus, like I said above, I had a tube (albeit a heavy duty DH tube) in the back so was being a bit cautious through some of the worst backward facing shark fin stuff to avoid the dreaded snake bites.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    I see people fixing flats because they use tubes and light tires. In moab, an 800 gram tire is considered light. 2ply's are common. Finesse is nice, but it won't stop you from getting flats with stupid tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
    I see people fixing flats because they use tubes and light tires. In moab, an 800 gram tire is considered light. 2ply's are common. Finesse is nice, but it won't stop you from getting flats with stupid tires.
    I think finesse is a big part of it....I've never flatted on PR, after at least 50 times down the trail, and have never run 2 ply tires until just this year. With the 2 ply, even at 18-20 psi, I've still not flatted after 6 or 7 times down this season (some will tell you to run high pressure in Moab, but I would argue otherwise). I think I ride PR hard....usually somewhere in the ballpark of 2 hrs from Hazard Down. Some people I ride with can't seem to hop a curb without pinching, so to me there's a lot left to be desired there.....

(oh, and knock on wood about the never flatting thing......)

NOT Team Sanchez

Thor, are your a welter-weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder View Post
    I think finesse is a big part of it....I've never flatted on PR, after at least 50 times down the trail, and have never run 2 ply tires until just this year. With the 2 ply, even at 18-20 psi, I've still not flatted after 6 or 7 times down this season (some will tell you to run high pressure in Moab, but I would argue otherwise). I think I ride PR hard....usually somewhere in the ballpark of 2 hrs from Hazard Down. Some people I ride with can't seem to hop a curb without pinching, so to me there's a lot left to be desired there.....

Come on man, you're not being completely honest, tell the good folks on this here thread the truth, you weigh 90lbs soaking wet

I think how tired/fit you are plays a huge role down TWE. When I'm in better shape the trail seemed more fun, and when I was worn out or less fit the jeep road section really, really drained me. Honestly, I think it'd be fun to take something like a WFO or PBJ down TWE, I'd think those big wheels in a stout package would really fly!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    5'9" buck-fifty....suppose your point is valid that rider weight will make a difference...touche...but I'll still say one heavier rider at 200 might be plenty graceful on a bike (which is partly the ability to simply see smoother lines at speed) while another might be a total hammer and spend all his (or her) time changing flats.

Back to the question, yeah, I'd agree that some hauls down PR seem smoother than others. All kinds of factors, I imagine, as mentioned, not least of which could be the number of hours spent at the brewpub the evening before. At least no one around here does what i saw a trail crew up in Stanley, ID doing a few weeks ago....they actually had a Bobcat 5 miles up the trail digging "boulders" out of the singletrack to smooth everything out. Every area has its bread and butter reputation, though and in Moab the PR pretty much sums it up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I entertained the idea of taking the 5 Spot for a second but was really glad I had the Knolly.

Yeah, I think TWE would have a hard time living up to all the mega-hype it gets.... but it is an amazing ride with so much to challenge you. ""I agree that the jeep road part in the middle of porc could be a little shorter.""this is the only part i was thinking was the overated section. TWE is in my top 4 trails of my experiences, even w/ the disappointing PR section. UPS & LPS were my favorites, so maybe then being followed by Porc just wasn't gonna do it for me

Hazard County and Kokopelli, OTOH, were more fun than I remember them.

I think there is something wrong with my fork. It doesn't get anywhere near full travel lately and the compression circuit and spring rate seem really stiff.
    that would certainly not be primetime for fork fuccups
    breezy shade

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Lord of Thunder View Post

Yeah, I'm with you on the low pressure thing. 18-20 might be a little too low for me.
    Most important thing is to recognize that KRob has crap suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
    Most important thing is to recognize that KRob has crap suspension.
    Come to find out.....My suspension was beginning to suck.

I messed around with my fork last night (Marz 66RC3 Ti) and discovered that air had built up in the cartridge side and there was too much oil. After removing 15-20cc of oil and letting the air out (I don't run any air preload) the fork was tons better today.

I wish I'd done that before I went to Moab.

So in the end, I think it was a combination of all the things discussed.

1. Sucky fork action
    2. Tired body/mind
    3. Too much tire pressure (trying to avoid pinch flats)
    4. Poor line selection..
    5. I'm just not that smooooove.

But mostly sucky suspension set up.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-22-2011 at 01:57 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Really I am that slow

I messed around with my fork last night (Marz 66RC3 Ti) and discovered that air had built up in the cartridge side and there was too much oil. After removing 15-20cc of oil and letting the air out (I don't run any air preload) the fork was tons better today.

1. Sucky fork action
    2. Tired body/mind
    4. Poor line selection.. I'm just not that smooooove.

5. But mostly sucky suspension set up.
    Always blame the bike 1st!
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

1. Sucky fork action
    2. Tired body/mind
    4. Poor line selection..
    5. I'm just not that smooooove.

But mostly sucky suspension set up.
    Your fork sucked and you were tired. 8 days in a row is pretty gnarly no matter who you are. Maybe too much tire pressure? But I doubt that was as big as 1 and 2. I have ridden with you enough to know it likely wasn't 4 or 5.

We going to meet up to try it again in a few weeks?

JMH

mtbr member

We going to meet up to try it again in a few weeks?

JMH
    You still planning on going down for Outer Bike, J? What days will you be there? If I could get some confirmation that either (or hopefully both) the Chilcotin or RFX were going to be there I'd move heaven and hell to get to Moab that week.. Speaking of that... have you ever done Heavens Meadow to Hell's Canyon up in the La Sals?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    You still planning on going down for Outer Bike, J? What days will you be there? If I could get some confirmation that either (or hopefully both) the Chilcotin or RFX were going to be there I'd move heaven and hell to get to Moab that week.. Speaking of that... have you ever done Heavens Meadow to Hell's Canyon up in the La Sals?
    I'm there, I'll be working. I will also be there the week after! I don't see Knolly on the list but the Chilcotin looks rad. what's an RFX?

JMH
    Last edited by JMH; 09-23-2011 at 06:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Wink

what's an RFX?

JMH
    an image in the mind of the "Imaginator"
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Porkie Pine/whole enchilada is about as bumpy as it gets. Rock gardens, ledges, flat bumpy sections, boulders strewn all about. If your suspension is not working right, you will know it on porcupine. If your suspension is going to leak or break down it will happen on this trail. I am always surprised that the bikes make it through this trail in one piece. Even the most plush bikes will still not give you a smooth ride. This trail is hardcore. Probably just your fork needing a do over.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Punta Lobos View Post
    Porkie Pine/whole enchilada is about as bumpy as it gets. Probably just your fork needing a do over.
    kinda sounds like the OP already said that, somewhere along the way, once or thrice
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    1. I never flatted on Porc and I rode it 28 times.
    2. Kent, you've just got to the point you're expecting a decently dialed in longer-travel bike
    will just smooth out anything you hammer through.
    3. Porc is a great first-timer trail with everything thrown in: stunning scenery, a real "wild
    west" feel for folks from all over the world, but looked at critically-- the entire ride, taken
    as a whole, is greater than the sum of its parts. I've wound up just riding back and forth
    on LPS/UPS skipping Porc proper.
    4. Shoulda taken your 5 Spot.
    Don't load onto your day your year's burden

mtbr member
    Just a follow up on the fork. I rode a long, local, rocky downhill with it today and it was soooo much better. Smooth, plush, and controlled... .but bottoms too easily on drops now. Guess I'll have to add a little oil back in and see if I can come up with a happy medium.

I'm also impressed anew with how totally solid, flex-free and quiet the D-T is while hammering the rough, choppy stuff. Still a very impressive bike. (xcguy....porc would've eaten the 5 Spot for lunch... unless I took it a lot easier).

I definitely want a redo on Porc now.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-26-2011 at 11:00 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just a follow up on the fork. I rode long, local, rocky downhill with it today and it was soooo much better. Smooth, plush... .but bottoms too easily on drops. Guess I'll have to add a little oil back in and see if I can come up with a happy medium.

I'm also impressed anew with how totally solid, flex-free and quiet the D-T is while hammering the rough, choppy stuff. Still a very impressive bike. (xcguy....porc would've eaten the 5 Spot for lunch... unless I took it a lot easier).

I definitely want a redo on Porc now.
    Wow, DW Spot as a less than worthy contender for Porc at speed. I never knew. Thanks for that report. I mean, "report" as a guess as to how the Spot would have handled it. Please give us a real report on the Spot, if you would, after you actually have ridden Porc on it. Thanks.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    A few years ago I rode my V-tach on Porc and it was pretty awesome, defintly smoothed out the chunder like it was pavement. I rode my Driver 8 once there this year and it was fun as well, but I'd rather ride a shorter travel bike 9-outta-10 times. Rode Burro down yesterday on my Orange Five (140 rear, 150 front) and it was a blast. For me, trail bike + tubeless DH tires is the weapon of choice. My past two timed, non-stop runs from saddle to river were on my old Endorphin, which was a great bike. I'll try again here pretty soon on the Five in hopes of shaving 9 mins of last year's time, shooting for under 1:50.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Wow, DW Spot as a less than worthy contender for Porc at speed. I never knew. Thanks for that report. I mean, "report" as a guess as to how the Spot would have handled it. Please give us a real report on the Spot, if you would, after you actually have ridden Porc on it. Thanks.
    Yeah, I guess I shouldn't write it off without trying it. I should restate what I said: In the drained, tired state I was in, and with the Spot set up like it was, I might have gotten more hammered on Porc than I did. Although the fork on the Spot (my old 55RC3) would've been much better than the one on the DT that day.

I'm going to have to come down 2 or 3 more times before the snow flies so I can test them both out.

Oh, I should add, that I took the Spot on all my other Moab rides and it was the perfect companion.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    A few years ago I rode my V-tach on Porc and it was pretty awesome, defintly smoothed out the chunder like it was pavement. I rode my Driver 8 once there this year and it was fun as well, but I'd rather ride a shorter travel bike 9-outta-10 times. Rode Burro down yesterday on my Orange Five (140 rear, 150 front) and it was a blast. For me, trail bike + tubeless DH tires is the weapon of choice. My past two timed, non-stop runs from saddle to river were on my old Endorphin, which was a great bike. I'll try again here pretty soon on the Five in hopes of shaving 9 mins of last year's time, shooting for under 1:50.

Good point Noah. In fact, this is exactly why I was debating taking the Spot on my Burro to Town ride. I'd never done this ride except in big, social groups with lots of stops for pictures, and lunch, and playing on features, so was wondering how quickly I could do it with a light, yet capable bike like the Spot and no stops.

If I was going for shortest time, I have no doubt that the Spot with tough, tubeless tires and a coil shock (or at least a more DH worthy air shock than my RP23) would be the hot ticket...... and a lot of fun.

That's a very fast time, Noah. Kudos! I hear the current unofficial fastest time is like 1:30 which is just plain crazy talk. Do you know if the fast times go down the Notch or stay on LPS/Snotch? Do they do the pipeline ditch or stay on the official trail above Warner Lake? I assume they take UPS and don't continue down Kokopelli to Sand Flats road then over to LPS.

I'm pretty sure I could get under 3:00 hours... maybe 2:30 if I was on my Spot set up like that and I was fresh... rather than on my 8th day of riding...... but 1:30?!? Wow! There's a lot of flat to climbing sections of trail that you would have to just hammer through. Someone who'd talked to Kyle (?) from Acme that holds that fast time said he'd told them he thinks that time will drop below 1:20 when the pros come down for the official Burro To Town race (if it gets permitted).

Anyway, it would be interesting (I'm not sure it would be fun....going fast hurts!) to find out how quick I could do it sometime. I didn't find out this time. I think I was more like 4 to 4.5 hours from the Pass to the River with goofing around on the Notch, then HABing back up and doing the Snotch, stopping for lunch at the Lunch Rock and redoing a few off-course drops that I missed the first time by.... and generally just sucking that day.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-26-2011 at 11:10 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yeah, I guess I shouldn't write it off without trying it. I should restate what I said: In the drained, tired state I was in, and with the Spot set up like it was, I might have gotten more hammered on Porc than I did. Although the fork on the Spot (my old 55RC3) would've been much better than the one on the DT that day.

I'm going to have to come down 2 or 3 more times before the snow flies so I can test them both out.

Oh, I should add, that I took the Spot on all my other Moab rides and it was the perfect companion.
    FWIW, I took a 2007 Spot to Moab and after riding all the usual suspects (including Porc, except I'd ridden up from the River Road to the lookout point then turned around) I'd decided it was my "I'm out in the boonies epic weapon of choice" considering it's all around abilities. Of course, I've never ridden a bike as hard as you would. As you know

( . Y . )
    the official Burro To Town race
    what what?

anyone have more info about this?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by lerp View Post
    what what?

anyone have more info about this?
    Hopefully it'll go down next year, the permit process took too long this year.
    NOAH SEARS

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    That's a very fast time, Noah. Kudos! I hear the current unofficial fastest time is like 1:30 which is just plain crazy talk. Do you know if the fast times go down the Notch or stay on LPS/Snotch? Do they do the pipeline ditch or stay on the official trail above Warner Lake? I assume they take UPS and don't continue down Kokopelli to Sand Flats road then over to LPS.
    1:43 is the fastest I've heard of. It would be cool to see what the best of the best could do, maybe high 1:20's?

I don't think the optional routes save much time, most probably pick the snotch though (I'll go up to Warner and take the snotch). UPS for sure.

Going non-stop is seriously painful, it puts the major hurt on your back and hands.
    NOAH SEARS

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    1:43 is the fastest I've heard of. It would be cool to see what the best of the best could do, maybe high 1:20's?

I don't think the optional routes save much time, most probably pick the snotch though (I'll go up to Warner and take the snotch). UPS for sure.

Going non-stop is seriously painful, it puts the major hurt on your back and hands.
    Kyle did 1:39 last year I thought? Might be wrong. He's done a few minutes faster unofficially. Will be interesting to see what happens this year.

JMH

mtbr member
    Kyle did 1:39 last year I thought? Might be wrong. He's done a few minutes faster unofficially. Will be interesting to see what happens this year.

JMH
    I talked to two different people who mentioned that Kyle had just recently set a new fastest time and I thought they said it was in the low 1:30s.

I heard the BLM had signed off on the Burro to Town race and they were still awaiting the FS. It had been posted in the paper for public comment but I don't know how long the comment period was supposed to last.

I guess time ran out. That'd be really cool if they could pull it off for next year.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'll be down there Oct 14-16 if any of you foos want to meet up for some shralping on Porc.

Believe it or not I have never ridden Burro down, only Hazard down many times. So my quick, edited, concise synopsis is:
    Hazard: flowy bermy singletrack poppy goodness
    Koko: moto rut-hopping scary speed awesomeness
    UPS: pedally tech flow droppy funtimes
    LPS: more of UPS, but more flowy and fast, with a couple of puckers along the way
    Porc overlook to top of sustained down: hurty jeep trail with a million fun options, too much pedaling but once you know it's there it ain't no thang
    Porc top of sustained downhill: OMG crushing fast fun drops lines lines lines airs turn gaps pinned
    Cattle guard to river: BEST SINGLETRACK SECTION EVAR, ANYWHERE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I'll be down there Oct 14-16 if any of you foos want to meet up for some shralping on Porc.

Believe it or not I have never ridden Burro down, only Hazard down many times. So my quick, edited, concise synopsis is:
    Hazard: flowy bermy singletrack poppy goodness
    Koko: moto rut-hopping scary speed awesomeness
    UPS: pedally tech flow droppy funtimes
    LPS: more of UPS, but more flowy and fast, with a couple of puckers along the way
    Porc overlook to top of sustained down: hurty jeep trail with a million fun options, too much pedaling but once you know it's there it ain't no thang
    Porc top of sustained downhill: OMG crushing fast fun drops lines lines lines airs turn gaps pinned
    Cattle guard to river: BEST SINGLETRACK SECTION EVAR, ANYWHERE
    I'd have to agree with that summary... and would add:

Geyser Pass to Burro Pass: 1.5 mile climb in thin air and beautiful surroundings. It hurts, but gets you to the goods.

Burro Pass to Warner Lake: Steep, rooty, rocky, switchbacky, creek crossing, fast, fun. Whole nuther world from the rest of the ride.

I'd love to figure out a way to get back down there this fall. If I do, I'd be happy to join you for some shralping, Josh. Braaaap!

www.stuckinthespokes.com

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Hope the weather holds; planning on doing the ride this Saturday! It's gonna be a large group affair but maybe I'll talk the boys into ditching the girls so we can cruise down quick!

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    My plans to do it this weekend are scrapped - I crashed and broke my pelvis this past weekend. No riding for me for a long, long time.
    NOAH SEARS

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    My plans to do it this weekend are scrapped - I crashed and broke my pelvis this past weekend. No riding for me for a long, long time.
    Holy crap Noah, that's terrible! Hope you heal up fast. Kyle exploded last week also and is pretty borked. He thinks he missed a turn and fell about 8 or 10 feet onto his head and side. Not a good week.

Looks like weather will call this edition anyway, the shuttle drivers don't like driving big ole vans up that hill in the sleet.

mtbr member
    Oh man, sorry to hear that. I've done that. Not a pleasant injury by any stretch. Heal up fast. Was your's a stable fracture or did you require surgery?

I was back on my bike in 6-8 weeks for some careful rides. More like 3-4 months to be back up to speed though.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I rode the Whole Enchilada on a Blur LT and it was freaking awesome! However, I ran into a guy with a broken something on a jeep dropping down the Porcupine Rim. It was waiting for body bags to start picking guys up. It was something else and kind of put a damper on the ride. I got nervous about the ride!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Went to the an orthopedic specialist yesterday and he gave me pretty good news. No surgery, just gotta chill for 6-8 weeks and it should heal with no long-term problems. It'll be good motivation in the end I'm sure.
    NOAH SEARS