Does anyone ride the "Layton" section of the BST?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

New question here. Does anyone ride the "Layton" section of the BST?

I read in one review that the Layton section is "slightly more interesting and technical than the Ogden section"...I'm looking for a close after-work ride--can anyone vouch for this section of the trail? How long of a ride is it? AND HOW DO I GET TO IT? Is it even worth my time?

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I road it early in the season. It is a good section of trail. Overall it is not a very technical trail, there is one semi steep climb (but short) and a couple of short tech sections, but nothing hard at all. In my opinion the ogden section has more variety and options. The layton section is pretty much one trail out and back, you can ride up adams, but I've never been up there and don't know how ridable it is.

Anyway, it is a good section of trail... better than ogden? That is up to the rider... If it is close to you then it is a good ride. Riding anything is better than not riding at all.

Aug 2007

New question here.

"Adams"?

What is Adams?

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Adams is too steep too ride. It is a hiking trail above the Layton Surf and Swim tank. I used to live right there. The Layton BST blows hard! It used to be allright until they built the hell out of the bench. The Kaysville section used to be better actually. I have found the Layton section to be a complete waste of time. Davis county isn't very good about open space-it's unfortunate. When I moved here in the early 90's, Davis was nothing but farm land. I chalk it up to poor planning on Davis county's part.

Anyway, I might have time to ride tomorrow (later) or Mon thru Wed. I'll PM you if I go. Expect it to be slow though. Peace.

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    You should ride Beus Canyon on the Ogden BST from the bottom. Pretty sure that should give ya all the tech you want.

Solum Volamus

Wasting my time!

Guess I've been wasting my time the past couple of years riding that section of the BST! Can't say what it used to be like, but it isn't a bad ride if you live/work close to the trailheads.

I live in Kaysville and typically ride that section 3-4 times a week. Starting from my house it is 3.5 miles to the East Mtn Wilderness trailhead...then the trail is about 3.5 miles long to the Fernwood trailhead. Makes a good 14 miler for an afternoon or evening ride after work. I would not go out of my way to ride the trail if you're not close, but it is nice to have a decent place to ride without driving. I had to live in OK for a few years...and it sucks when the nearest singletrack is 60+ miles away. It is easy to get spoiled here!

As for the trail...personally I like riding it starting in the south and turning around at fernwood. The first section in the south gets torn up by horses this time of year and has more climbing (loose stuff). The Adams Canyon trail is about at the midway point and starts near the holding tank as stated. The section up from the parking lot is super sandy and would not be fun to ride...the upper part is fun (but you can't ride all the way to the waterfall). That is where most of the hikers tend to be also! I think the Ogden section is a little better and has more variety to ride.

You can check out a video I made about 1 1/2 ago on the trail. Go to http://www.vaportrails.us and download the BST video. The second half is descending the Adams Canyon trail from the BST to the parking lot.

That's my 2 cents anyways...your mileage may vary!
    Beau

Pretty good views of the lake too if you hit it at the right time...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tumbleweed; 06-15-2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling/added picture

Jul 2008
    cool pic

mtbr member
    i ride that trail atleast twice a week because i live just down the road from it and it is actually not a bad trail in my opinion it isnt hard on the way down to the trailhead in fruit hights but there are some decent climbs on the way back also check out some of the trails at snow basin

Aug 2007

Good job! We rode it...it was pretty decent.

I took my 14 and 17 y/o sons out there yesterday. Nice parking area with water and a restroom. We didn't know it would be so much climbing, but it was worth it on the way back. We rode about and hour out, but it only took us about half that to get back to the truck. Very dry, loose soil, and very dusty. A great workout for my new Maxxis Ignitor 2.3tires. Great views once you climb to the top! A lot of shade on the trail, and even some shady spots on the open climbs...good for a breather on a 95 degree day. Take a lot of water!

I can't say we'd like to ride this 3 days a week or anything, but it was pretty cool for the occasional ride. Not a "complete waste of time" in my book.

Check it out...

Members who have read this thread: 0