Dispersed camping (free) off 313??- Mtbr.com
    zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

Dispersed camping (free) off 313??

Heading down to Moab during spring break and plan on doing the west side goodness this trip. Is there any dispersed camping along 313 near Dead Horse Point or is it only pay BLM camping?
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    There are numerous spots out there with no fee. Everthing other than the parks is BLM and there are only fees in the established campgrounds. You may have to go a ways out from the highway at that time of year to find something though as it will be crowded.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here is the link to the definitive BLM camping map for the area north of Moab. Basically, anyplace light yellow is dispersed camping. All of the "campgrounds", ie defined sites and pit toilets, are now $20 a night. Even in the yellow shaded areas, you must have a poop removal device or get a ticket. You can't say you are going to use the pit toilets on the way in or out, you must have a poop bag or a porta-potti. If you want free camping but want access to a pit toilet, you can camp down in the state land campgrounds off of 191 and Willow Springs road. It is MEGA crowded during spring break and is full of wasted people riding their ATVs/UTVs/Motorcycles and Jeeps around. Have fun with that.

https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...oabCamping.pdf

BLM has gone out and roped off some of the best dispersed sites out there, like the one next to Tombstone Rock. It is only a matter of time until they charge you $20 to camp anywhere out there, and you will be restricted to designated campsites.

mtbr member
    Ugh I love that spot by tombstone rock, was planning to hit it up again next time I go out there...when were you out there and saw that? wasn't like that last fall. what a bummer

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jenren81 View Post
    Ugh I love that spot by tombstone rock, was planning to hit it up again next time I go out there...when were you out there and saw that? wasn't like that last fall. what a bummer
    The entire east side of Tombstone was roped off in late November, which was the last time I was out in that area. The south side was still open.

BTW, BLM is on its way to closing off all of the dispersed camping north of Moab. Here is the latest: https://www.blm.gov/press-release/bl...mping-proposal

The current proposal is to end dispersed camping near Klondike, but it is like stepping on a water balloon, people will go out by Tombstone, and they will close that as well.

Also, Moab and Grand County are trying to extend their hotel room taxes to campsites!! https://moabtimes.com/2019/05/17/cou...-from-campers/

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update! I was out there last in October, didn't camp there then but didn't notice anything being blocked off at that time. Hope the south side is still good when I head out.

Unfortunately the people who can't pick up their poop and leave junk everywhere are ruining it for everybody It's a shame, dispersed camping will become pretty much impossible it sounds like.