Dirt bikes allowed on mtn bike trails in Moab?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Dirt bikes allowed on mtn bike trails in Moab?

Going to Moab in September to mtn bike and just wondered if off road bikes/ATV's are allowed on the same trails mtn bikes go. If so, has there ever been a problem with both on the same trails?
    Are there some trails off road bikes can't go?
    Also, can you ride your mtn bike in Arches National Park? Trails like Delicate Arch?

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Motorcycles are allowed on many of the mtn. bike trails. Motorcycles were riding the Slickrock Trail long before mtn. bikes even existed. I still see them on that trail. I've also seen them on Amasa Back along with big 4x4 rigs but it's rare. Nearly every trail is multi-use. Share the trails, be friendly to all users and have fun!
    Bikes are only allowed on paved roads within Arches Ntl. Park. Maybe some of the dirt roads. Don't even think about taking them on the Delicate Arch trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Cool! I don't have a problem with Dirt Bikes (have a honda myself) but just wanted to know what to expect when riding. The thought of running into a ATV/Truck/Bike is kinda scary but sounds like everyone respects each other and gets along. Thanks for the quick response and I promise to hike to delicate arch...

mtbr member
    Isn't a mountain bike also a "dirt bike"?
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Moab was born from motorcycles, way efore MTB's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swass
    Moab was born from motorcycles, way efore MTB's
    yep. Title should be: mtn bikes allowed on dirt bike trails in Moab?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    C'mon guys......semantics! You know what I meant!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikegirl
    C'mon guys......semantics! You know what I meant!
    Encountering larger vehicles isn't a big deal, you will almost always be moving faster than they are if the trail is technical. Even though it happens, I rarely remember passing or meeting trucks, it's just not something that stands out. A wave and a nod and that's it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks, JMH! Sounds like I'll have no problem. Can't wait until September...

user-created
    I love seeing Jeeps on the trail. Their beers are usually much colder than the ones in my Camelbak.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Point well taken

I'd rather be biking...
    It's quit comical watching some dude on a enduro dirtbike trying to ride up a short nasty section. Just rode the Sovereign trail network and watched a guy getting stuck and having a real hard time getting up it because he kept stalling or peeling out. So we just rode right up and past him and said "See that wasn't so Hard I just pedaled right up it." I was however impressed on how good of shape the trail was in for being a muliti use trail. So for the most part there are respectable motorcycle riders out there.

mtbr member
    I just got back from Moab and the one thing I found is that everyone is was very friendly! Best vacation ever!! At least 12 jeep/truck on Amasa Back.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Encountering larger vehicles isn't a big deal, you will almost always be moving faster than they are if the trail is technical. Even though it happens, I rarely remember passing or meeting trucks, it's just not something that stands out. A wave and a nod and that's it.
    My experience exactly. Seeing vehicles is rare and I'm always going faster than they are. Everyone is friendly and I don't see having any reason to be concerned.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

suvlako
    Mountain bike girl,

My wife and I just got back from Moab and took both the motos and the MTB's and absolutely had a ball. A really fun Moto trail is Sovreign(or so I hear) and the one's that I do have experience with(fins and things and Slick Rock)are a hoot! You will have such a good time. Wish I could go at the same time so my wife could have another chickie to offset the high levels of testosterone. Be safe!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes, Moab seems to be the one place where we can all get along. I see moto's about 1/2 the time i'm out there, on amasa back, and soverign mostly. I always at least wave, and sometimes stop to talk. I gotta say, some of those guys have some huge balls. It's one thing to ride some of that stuff on a 27lb bike, it's another to wressle a 300lb moto. And sometimes it's quite humerous to watch.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by jay80424
    Yes, Moab seems to be the one place where we can all get along. I see moto's about 1/2 the time i'm out there, on amasa back, and soverign mostly. I always at least wave, and sometimes stop to talk. I gotta say, some of those guys have some huge balls. It's one thing to ride some of that stuff on a 27lb bike, it's another to wressle a 300lb moto. And sometimes it's quite humerous to watch.

Besides the homoerotic Beyond the Thunderdome Outlaw Bountiful OHV Area and Inbred Circus Sideshow, my encounters with moto and Jeep traffic hasn't been all that bad. In particular, American Fork where it seems like at least once a season we encounter moto's on that high alpine single track. Most every time they will pull over and in some cases actually shut their engines off while we pass.
    We used to use Jeep support on some of the longer Moab trails, like White Rim, and often would end up hours ahead of the support vehicles as they just couldn't travel as fast as a mountain bike.

That's All-Mountain.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    It's quit comical watching some dude on a enduro dirtbike trying to ride up a short nasty section. Just rode the Sovereign trail network and watched a guy getting stuck and having a real hard time getting up it because he kept stalling or peeling out. So we just rode right up and past him and said "See that wasn't so Hard I just pedaled right up it." I was however impressed on how good of shape the trail was in for being a muliti use trail. So for the most part there are respectable motorcycle riders out there.
    Moab is the sh#t on a trials motorcycle..
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Members who have read this thread: 1