DH/FR Organizational/Informational Mtg- Mtbr.com
    ride more.
    Nov 2004

DH/FR Organizational/Informational Mtg

When: 5:00pm Saturday January 6, 2007

Where: Fiddler's Elbow - 2100 South in Sugarhouse

What: An informal gathering of the DH/FR set to hopefully start getting organized to lobby the USFS and local resorts to have more DH trails and make the public and local gvts more aware of the need for these types of trails.

Come.

Dallas v. Seattle will be on the TVs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So how'd it go? I was out of town or would've tried to make it...

(stupid cowboys...)

mmm bacon

What happened

Can we schedule a meeting for those of us who work nights.

mtbr member
    Bump -

The first attempt was a bit disorganized, we're going to try for number two. Please post a reply with your status of 'in' or 'out' so we can make an appropriate reservation. Here's the scoop:

Where: Skybox (at the Gateway Center)
    When: Thursday, January 25th at 7pm

Hope you can make it - if not but you're still interested in helping, let that be known too. Sorry 925hell if that doesn't work for you, I think if we get a bit more organized we can be more flexible and would look to you for proposing a time that may work.

Once we get a count and it gets a bit closer more details about meeting up will be posted.
    Last edited by TheProf; 01-16-2007 at 09:12 AM.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

I am in.

Also, let me officially lobby many on this board to attend. A little background on this idea may be appropriate and helpful. Essentially, SLC is lagging behind other areas of the country in recognizing and providing challenging trails for the DH scene. Other areas of the country, i.e. the Colorado Front Range, Bootleg Canyon, Pacific Northwest, Northeast, and even the Southeast (namely Florida), have grasped the idea that the DH/FR set needs more trails. All of these areas have developed trails suited to the desires of DH/FR riders. However, before legal trails came the organized effort of riders to develop the trails.

The lack of legal sanctioned trails in the SLC valley is pitiful. We have some of the best mountains in the states with an extremely outdoor-oriented population, yet we have no real organization or effort to support building trails. I personally am tired of riding a trail that may or may not get torn out within the indefinite future. If FLORIDA can get the DH/FR scene recognized and supported by the local powers that be, surely SLC can do the same. A little organization goes a long way to improving our trail access. There are many who are willing to help and many who have the resources (both professionally and financially) to make a difference. So come to the meeting and let's talk and hopefully try to stimulate some organization to make SLC what it could be.

mtbr member
    Well said, doc....

I think that when you approach land managers with an organization who is not only committed to developing trails, but one that will also commit to maintaining DH/FR trails along with others, you have some credibility. As individuals, it would appear to be a bit less impressive.

mmm bacon

I 'll try to get coverage

My one question, the date you have decided on the 25th is when Outdoor Retailer is loading into town, most of the reps aren't here yet unless we get good snow then all bets are off. It probably won't be hard getting a table for hopefully 7 plus, but...you might want to have a second possibilty outside the downtown.

mtbr member
    Point taken, 925. At this time I think we see what the count is, find out if it's available, and if not then come up with plan "B". I picked downtown because I thought it was central to those from the north and south, probably a bit more disadvantageous to our Utah county contingent.

We know you're all out there, come on - sign up!

mmm bacon

Don't get me wrong

I would like the meeting to be in downtown since I live there.

mtbr member
    In...
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Chuky and JMH will be there.

mtbr member
    Ooh! I call driving!
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006
    i wish i could be there but the parents are gonna be in town, let me know of anything in the future, meetings, trail building, anything. So unfortunately, i'm out on this one, but good luck on getting something going

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    day late dollar short. Sorry to read about this after the fact. I wish I could have attended. I will keep my eyes open for the next one.
    It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose!

mmm bacon

Any news

What's going on since I haven't seen any posts I am hoping that this didn't die before it got started.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    No, not dead at all. TheProf has created a website at www.waftautah.com and is processing our IMBA affiliation to gain credibility and insurance. DrBoudreaux has met with planning folks in Draper. There is also a google group if you want to sign up, search the groups for WAFTA. There is a membership list there with names and phone numbers... But I think you are on there already, no?

We also have a logo so we can start to order coffee mugs and golf club covers.

If ANYONE is interested in participating, log on and join the google group! We need names on the roster.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by 925hell
    What's going on since I haven't seen any posts I am hoping that this didn't die before it got started.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mmm bacon
    sorry, I can't find anything on WAFTA on the google groups, do you have a link, the lortabs are probably affecting my brain

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Give this a try:

http://groups.google.com/group/wafta

You will probably have to jump through a few electronic hoops to sign up.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by 925hell
    sorry, I can't find anything on WAFTA on the google groups, do you have a link, the lortabs are probably affecting my brain

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Not dead. Special thanks to JMH and TheProf. They have been doing a tremendous amount of work to get this thing running. It is also nice to see some interest and support from folks on this board. Encouragement and support is nice, especially when taking on something like this. Things are moving ahead. However, we are all working professionals attempting to do this, so during some times more gets done than at other times. We need names on the roster right now. Tell your friends. The more people that we have signing up, the more reputable we will appear to the powers that be. We are not doing this to build watered down trails either. I think that many would like to see some very aggressive trails in the SLC area. This is our long-term goal. At the outset, however, inch by inch is how this is going. It has been about six weeks since all this talk started, and we have made some progress, but this is essentially just the groundwork of where we would like this to go.

To be frank, what is critical at this point is staying interested and committed. I would hope that most would agree that SLC needs some sort of organized effort to get things how we would all like them. When the time hopefully comes that we have secured approval to build a trail or build stunts/jumps on an existing trail, a large turnout of committed riders is crucial. If we secure approval to build a trail and 4 people show up, that will hurt the effort for a long time. If we want to ride it, we need to pitch in and help build it - especially on public lands. The area and this effort do not need any freeriders in the economic sense of the word. If we want solid trails, we need to do the leg work. Period.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Who has the IMBA class dates again? I think there is a trail-building certification clinic in Price this spring? We should get as many bodies down there as we can. It would be nice to be able to start with a half-dozen IMBA-certified builders when we finally land a job.

Never mind, I guess I am not so lazy that I can't look it up:

Apr. 19-22 Price, UT

http://www.imba.com/tcc/schedule.html

JMH

mmm bacon

I'll help

Pm me, email me whatever I'm down for 10-16 weeks after knee surgery and all I do is cruise the web, I have way too much time during the day. Hopefully this will keep me from going crazy.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Knee surgery? What did you do? I tore my ACL, LCL and meniscus about four years ago. It sucked. I feel your pain. I rode Slickrock at 12 weeks and did fine, though I really took it easy. You will get it back quicker than you think.

Speaking of volunteering, are you on the emailing list and associated with the Google group yet?

doc.

rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006
    hey if you guys make shirts with that WAFTA logo, i'd be down for buying one of those, and are you guys gonna use MTBR or the google group more to keep posted on events? just so i know what to look out for.

mtbr member
    However, we are all working professionals attempting to do this, so during some times more gets done than at other times.
    Ya, those words are true!

A bit of an update from me - first, shout outs to JMH for the killer logo work and to drboudreaux for his work on getting a presentation outline done. I finally got a bit of time to get the website set up, so check that out and let me know what you think. While the website is pretty new I think it would be good to put some photos out there of some trail work we've done, examples of things we would like to see, etc. Any other ideas are welcome, it needs some more content in my opinion. Don't want to make it cluttered or difficult - just something that represents us professionally. The link for webmaster e-mail should work so if you submit something that is probably the best method just include your screen name so credit can be acknowledged.

As for the google group, I did that primarily to set up an e-mail list so it would be easy to communicate to everybody regarding meetings, trail maintenance, whatever. There are some discussion threads out there, and I registered everybody at the Skybox meeting initially. If you're interested just go to the group site, drop a quick message and I'll activate it as soon as I can. Or PM me here, either way. I'll add a link or some information on the google group on the web site in the next few days.

Enough rambling from me.

mmm bacon
    Now don't get jealous I fell down at wok, they are taking care of everything. I destroyed my ACL tore up my medial and lateral meniscus, and just for giggles the doc performed what is called a lateral release. Essentially my knee cap was not tracking straight and was prematurely wearing ( I could dislocate my knee cap without even trying ), so he did that too. I am currently staring at my Morewood that is almost complete. That alone is motivation to get so real trails built. I belive that I am on the email list I'll shoot you my info in a PM. Cheers
    JK

Members who have read this thread: 0