Deer Valley Improvements- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Deer Valley Improvements

Hi everyone!
    I was wondering if anyone was at Deer Valley this opening weekend and got to try the improvements to its existing trails (Naildriver, Twist and Shout) and the open portion of the under-construction Gravity Logic flow trail (Tidal Wave).

I saw pictures of the improved and the new trails but would appreciate any first-hand experience of what's new.

In any case, the new trails make me very excited for my trip to Park City in July. I'm glad Deer Valley has finally started to improve its mountain biking operations after seeing the growth of the Canyons in the last few years. Deer Valley has always had good technical trails, and I hope the flow trails are good enough to make Deer Valley the complete bike park it should be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I rode there yesterday. it is still mostly a work in progress, Tidal wave was a lot of fun, put it is still pretty loose and chunky. They had a big chunk of naildriver blocked off where they are building jumps. Lots of potential, but definitely a work in progress.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dap70 View Post
    I rode there yesterday. it is still mostly a work in progress, Tidal wave was a lot of fun, put it is still pretty loose and chunky. They had a big chunk of naildriver blocked off where they are building jumps. Lots of potential, but definitely a work in progress.
    That's what I expected. Hopefully the finished product lives up the potential. Good to see the Park City lift-served scene improving.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bobinitacnh View Post
    That's what I expected. Hopefully the finished product lives up the potential. Good to see the Park City lift-served scene improving.
    yeah I thought the improvements they were making were really good...twist and shout, nail driver, and tidal wave are all super fun.

NailDriver is waaaay better then what it used to be some really good berm slaying fun.

The upper half of tidal wave has been completed and is burned in. The speed for all the jumps is perfect, its a fun Blue medium sized jump line. We hiked down a little to check out the construction on the lower half of the trail that isn't open yet and its looking pretty sweet. The jumps look like they are getting a little bigger as it goes further down. Maybe they'll add some bigger jumps in there or some big take-off options.

Overall i think Deer valley is doing it right by hiring Gravity Logic for their flow/jump lines. Would be sweet to get one more bigger jump line similar to an A-Line trail. Currently the Tidal Wave trail is shaping up to be something like Crank It Up.

I think a few of their DH trails could use a little TLC as well but not much.

Was there on Saturday was probably the most busy Ive ever seen it.

Frame Building Moderator
    Utah downhill/flow trail scene is set to blow up. The enthusiasm and new trail construction remind me of Winter Park or Keystone in CO 10-15 years ago. Once you hit that critical mass of riders and the resorts see that they can actually make money spinning the lifts... it's only going to get better.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Let's hope Walt is right! The Park City resorts would seem to have pretty ideal terrain (not too steep and not super rocky) for lift accessed riding. I can't believe it has taken this long, but better late than never.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4