Deer Valley DH. Conditions?- Mtbr.com
    AKA shitbird

Deer Valley DH. Conditions?

A few of us are planning on heading up to Deer Valley from Phoenix over the 4th of July weekend to do some Downhilling. Through other threads it sounds like alot of the runs weren't open due to snow, but nobody has posted recently so maybe it's melted?

It's a long drive and I wanna be sure that we aren't wasting our trip. None of us have been there before so any info would be great. Thanks!
    JRA

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    was riding up there all weekend... snow is not an issue for any closures. The snow that was on Fireswamp last week is melted off... now trail is all talc powedered out from the intermediate riders getting on there and locking the rear wheel the whole way down.... arrrrgh !! Aspen Slalom and Thieves forest were open this weekend too (prev. closed w/ snow) Aspen slalom had coulple corners shortened up to get around some remaning snow, but with the heat this week... should be totally gone by the 4th.
    --see ya up there !

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    We were up there most of the day yesterday (Sunday) watching the Pro Men and Women's National DH series. Didn't appear to be much snow left, and the lower trails are even starting to get that "moon dust" look and feel. The shuttle lifts were running and there were lots of folks riding.

mtbr member
    Good news.

I am also heading up July 6th for a week in Deer Valley with the Family and the Knolly. I need the lifts for my sea level lungs.

AKA shitbird

Saweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

So everythings open then. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks!
    JRA

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008

Good job! How are the trails there?

I'm heading up from Phoenix as well... Were going to take over Utah DH since AZ is being ghey this year and decided to yank our lift access. Anyway, how do the trails compare? Has anyone rode elsewhere such as Colorado, Nor Cal/Reno area, Arizona, etc... Are we talking 10' doubles, 30' doubles?? Lots of drops? Fast/Flowy? Were definetly used to the powdery stuff so thats not a problem.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I'm getting the feeling the DH scene in Utah is small... Do you guys all talk on some other website?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    just in our daily LDS church meetings... LOL --kidding !
    another site was started... but the chat hasnt really taken off too much yet:

http://www.waftautah.com/Welcome.html

Bored Carp
    It is hard to find a Utard sitting at his computer this time of year. Particularly THIS year, after our long snow season.

C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    Particularly THIS year, after our long snow season.
    That's the truth!

I'm not a DHer, but here are some suggestions:
    Deer Valley (you knew this one)
    Sundance (30 - 40 minutes Southwest)
    Wolf Mountain (hour or so North)

Another option on your way up is to check out Brian Head Resort. It's about 4 hours South. I hear good things about the runs, and it would break up the trip.

Also, pose your questions on the "DH / Freeride" forum at UtahMountainBiking.com. The guys and gals there are pretty active and responsive.

PG_Gary

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    "What are Doubles?" -Deer Valley Management

Quote Originally Posted by gnar602
    I'm heading up from Phoenix as well... Were going to take over Utah DH since AZ is being ghey this year and decided to yank our lift access. Anyway, how do the trails compare? Has anyone rode elsewhere such as Colorado, Nor Cal/Reno area, Arizona, etc... Are we talking 10' doubles, 30' doubles?? Lots of drops? Fast/Flowy? Were definetly used to the powdery stuff so thats not a problem.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by PG_Gary
    That's the truth!

I'm not a DHer, but here are some suggestions:
    Deer Valley (you knew this one)
    Sundance (30 - 40 minutes Southwest)
    Wolf Mountain (hour or so North)

Another option on your way up is to check out Brian Head Resort. It's about 4 hours South. I hear good things about the runs, and it would break up the trip.

Also, pose your questions on the "DH / Freeride" forum at UtahMountainBiking.com. The guys and gals there are pretty active and responsive.

PG_Gary

Thanks for the info mang!
    JRA

Members who have read this thread: 0