Deer Valley/Canyons/Jumps/Cross Country Stuff - Advise Please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Deer Valley/Canyons/Jumps/Cross Country Stuff - Advise Please

Headed to Park City to ride a bit of everything. The wife likes the flowy lift assisted riding that has lots of berms, rollers and small jumps. I like the intermediate to expert jumps without gaps and a few 4-6 foot drops along the way. I can see Deer Valley has a trail called Tidal Wave that looks sane enough to take the wife on, but I would like some input on Canyons. We've ridden Jackson Hole many times and the wife will follow me down the expert line since there are no gaps involved. We also want to do a few rides on the non-lift-assisted trails that might have the berms/jumps/drops. And a casual cross country trail to stretch out the legs. I guess we want it all.

One other thing, we are "GRANDPARENTS" so anyone under the age of 45 or anyone who has yet to understand what Pain, Surgery and Long Recovery means, need not respond. I would like the advise of those who have a few "Battle Scars" and appreciate our desire to avoid the local Trauma Center.

GO OLD PEOPLE!!!!!

mtbr member
    I'm 64, my wife 63. Tidal Wave (intermediate downhill) is a bit too much for her, but Holy Roller (half of which is now open and which is beginner oriented, as you can see from the picture) is about right for her. Mid week is best for Deer Valley, to avoid crowds. Jenny's Trail and Armstrong are options, they are both uphill for part of their length. As it cools off, Flying Dog and Round Valley are options as well. There are only about 400 miles of trails, so you have lots of places and levels of riding available.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deer Valley/Canyons/Jumps/Cross Country Stuff - Advise Please-holy-roller-resized.jpg  

Frame Building Moderator
    DV has the best trails, lift, and variety. If you are willing to mix/match trails (they merge/diverge a lot) you can put together a different run on mellower terrain without getting bored. Best value in a lift ticket in the PC area.

That said, if you want drops/ramps/park stuff, there's not much. The trails (Thieves/Fire Swamp/NCS) with drops are natural-ish old school gnar that it does not sound like you'll enjoy. There is a little bit of that stuff at the Canyons but it's a terrible setup for a bike park and you'll quickly get frustrated/bored with the lift situation.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Thanks old guys. Went to Brian Head a few weeks ago. Some of it was a bit on the edge for me simply because I prefer trails that don't rattle my false teeth loose. I did enjoy the wood jump and drops but my hardcore downhill gnar days are over. Hope they can get it together and do some fun stuff for the "Geritol" gang. We do have lots of money to spend you know, and I'll make sure I bring my handicap parking pass for the truck....hate pushing the bike too far to get on the lifts.

Does Park City have a Bingo Night at the town rec center?.....thanks again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I think the Canyons is an Awesome place to ride. I think based on the style of riding you decribed you would like it much more than DV. Some don't like the lift situation at canyons but it doesn't bother me at all. Just get a free map when you buy your lift pass and you'll be fine. I haven't ridden DV since they put in the new trail so I can't say how that one is. Canyons trails for the most part more flowy and smooth with berms/jumps/drops than DV. Most of the trails have alternative routes or are set up so you can roll them if you are going slow. Canyons would ne my choice search canyons bike park on YouTube and you can see for yourself how the trails are. I really like "wild mouse", "Rally Cat" is another fun one and has some the biggest jumps on it. Parking is much better at canyons as well, it can be hard to find a spot in the small lot at DV, not that thay is a deal breaker. I'm sure you'll have fun where ever you ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm a couple years from meeting your age requirement, but I do spend a day or two a week riding Park City. IMO you can find something to ride no matter your age or skill level at either Deer Valley or The Canyons, it just depends on your preferences.

Deer Valley has Tidal Wave and half of Holy Roller as the main flow trails to ride currently. There are several other trails that will meet you needs (jumps and berms) but on a smaller scale. The lift situation is a little better as well. The trails are much longer than at The Canyons which could be a pro or a con depending on your fitness level.

The Canyons has more "flow" trails and more trails that I think would meet your requirements. I know guys who ride Dropkick all day long and love it. I think the trails are more intermediate focused than Deer Valley which I think is more advanced intermediate.

Be aware that we have not had any rain in several weeks and both parks are very dry which means brake bumps are a problem on all of the popular trails, so much so that right now I much prefer to ride my 200mm DH bike over 160mm trail bike.

mtbr member
    Yahoo.......looks like fun. Any suggestions for some cruzin cross country trails without stiff climbs?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbender View Post
    Yahoo.......looks like fun. Any suggestions for some cruzin cross country trails without stiff climbs?
    Mid Mountain and Wasatch Crest are both awesome trails that are a must ride if you are only visiting.

mtbr member

Good job!

Thanks everyone. Here is my ride report:
    Tidal Wave had some good stuff and really bad stuff. Upper 1/3 was a mess with lots of breaking bumps. Middle 1/3 was fantastic with a few break bumps and the lower 1/3 was a torn up mess, again lots of break bumps and shadows in and out of the trees made the bumps and holes even worse. Lack of rain was what the locals pointed to as the culprit. The wife did all of Tidal Wave with a bit of trepidation here and there. Didn't do Canyon Bike Park due to some travel trailer mechanical difficulties that cut the trip short for repairs.

Spent several days riding Trailside Bike Park and the surrounding cross country stuff. I can't say enough good things about Trailside, loved all the features. They did a great job in keeping the fun factor high and the unnecessary risk factor low. The spacing between features made it very easy to quickly figure out the timing needed. Only comment....would have like to seen many of the bermed turns a bit taller so I could go faster. Fantastic little bike park. Will be back earlier in the season next year for sure.

Frame Building Moderator
    Everything is trashed. It hasn't rained in like 80 days or something. The dirt is just falling apart all over, but especially on high-use trails like Tidal Wave.

Glad you had fun!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I rode there yesterday, the day after the rain. Trail crews are trying to clean things up, but all won't get done in one day!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    A friend of mine swears by Deer Valley and talked me into riding it today with him. It has changed a lot for the better since last time i rode there. Tidal wave is a fun trail and pretty long. There seems to be a little more trails at Deer Valley. It wasn't torn up to bad I thought but my friend said it used to be easy smother. For my style of riding, I think I prefer the Canyons, both are fun though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk