Deer Valley 2010- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Deer Valley 2010

Hey so does anyone know what the deal is for the downhill scene at deer valley this year? As i understand they closed fire swamp and another one of their downhill trails in order to build a new one so is there going to be no downhill specific trails this summer at deer valley? or whats the deal

mtbr member
    I must apologize for adding to the confusion about DV this year. Earlier in the season we were given info that Thieves and Fire Swamp were going to be closed this year, and it was posted on the Go-Ride site. This was not true. All the trails there are open, and they are working on some new trail as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Alright thanks for the clear up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hey I'm just wondering how you guys like Deer Valley for DH. I know that most other resorts (other than Brian Head) have maybe one or two DH suitable runs and I was just wondering if it's worth it to actually frequent Deer Valley, or should I check out other resorts, even if they don't have quite as many DH runs? I'm asking because I've never actually rode lift served runs and I really want to get into it this summer. I live in the middle of a ton of rideable terrain and my family owns alot of it but the sheer number of runs you could accomplish from a lift sounds like fun.

Sucks that we don't have some amazing bike park in Utah. Someone needs to pull it off and build one.

Takin'er easy
    A successful business plan needs to start with the ability to make a profit. Without the promise of returned investment, it is difficult to find money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Does wolf mountain have anything good this year?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Instead of building flow DV has opted to enhance GS trees, a total XC trail with uphill on it a little, A DH resort enhancing XC when the rest of the country is growing DH Free Ride???, Gravity Logic Please save Utah as a charity project, you will be blessed if you do, If we could get the skiers to spend less maybe we would have a chance -- Looks like I will be forced to spend money out of the state of Utah again this year to get a "lift assisted" free ride experience -- Lift assisted is much better than shuttling in terms of time and convenience.

The Sentinel

Riding on the 4th?

Does anyone know if Deer Valley will be open on the 4th of July? A bunch of us are planning to come down from Logan, assuming the resort is operating.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's open now. I don't think the 4th will be any different. Have fun.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I'm still surprised The Canyons haven't stepped up yet. I mean they're spending a ton of $$$ on all that new construction and golf courses and for a brief moment went so far as to host the Jeep 48Straight event-which was pretty f#cking cool to watch and drew the likes of Peat, Minnar, slightly thinner Rennie, etc... They have tons of available lodging, ho-hum variety of restaurants and it's easy to access.

Over night up went a killer, super long, fast, flowy downhill dual slalom course and the next morning it was bulldozed flat. Given what they did with just a small section of the lower mountain, I could only imagine what they could do with the rest of the available terrain. Add to that, they run a gondola so theoretically you could move more people with their bikes up the mountain faster -ala Whistler- rather than 3 guys to a chair followed by 3-4 chairs being used to carry a single bike on a hook and the occassional missed chair when the 16 year girl is struggling to lift Chumley's 60lb freeride bike.

End rant.

Talentless Hack
    I think the biggest issue is insurance and liability. I would be interested to know what the rider number per day would be needed to cover insurance and operating costs. I was at Fernie last year chatting up some of the resort locals and they were telling me that the terrain was being "dumbed" down the past couple of years and that this year was going to be even less fun. The reasoning was that the liability insurance costs were very high for the number of riders/day. And the Canadians have public health insurance! Could Deer Valley and the Canyons make a profit over the summer? I think Big Bear in SoCal had trouble even with a huge population center close by.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    I think the biggest issue is insurance and liability. I would be interested to know what the rider number per day would be needed to cover insurance and operating costs. I was at Fernie last year chatting up some of the resort locals and they were telling me that the terrain was being "dumbed" down the past couple of years and that this year was going to be even less fun. The reasoning was that the liability insurance costs were very high for the number of riders/day. And the Canadians have public health insurance! Could Deer Valley and the Canyons make a profit over the summer? I think Big Bear in SoCal had trouble even with a huge population center close by.
    Well that makes sense. Seems to hurt quite a bit more in general bouncing off of dirt and rocks than crashing on snow.

I don't know how the Canadian public health insurance issue would factor into litigation other than they wouldn't go after the costs of a hospital visit as it's covered by the State. And having said that, I don't know how, if at all, that attitude down here will change once the bulk of our new healthcare legislation goes into effect in 2013-2014?

Granted, having a dedicated lift is rather convenient-especially if riding solo. But with 3-5 guys, a pick-up truck and everyone pitching in for $5-$10 worth of gas or taking turns using each other's vehicles, we're able to get 4-6 runs in at Bountiful after work before dark. Everyone takes a turn at the wheel and it's all good.
    Not factoring in wear and tear on your truck (and Chumley's lingering sweat) and a few stray bullets here and there, it's a shorter and easier drive to get there than Deer Valley. The trails are better. No waiting in line. And it's way cheaper.

Anyhoo...

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I wondered about the insurance thing for quite a while myself. A couple of local resorts have confirmed that it's not a significant factor. The amount of money that we're talking about to build a bike park is an absolute drop in the bucket compared to even basic winter expenses. For some reason, the resorts still don't understand the demand. I suspect that a PC area resort would not only be successful but probably one of the most successful in the country if done correctly. The access, both for locals and out of towners, is unmatched. The Canyons or PCMR are our two best bets IMO, I keep hoping...

Regarding Fernie, I've ridden Fernie a few times, including back a few years ago when they had a crazy slope style course at the bottom of the mountain, open to the public. It was certainly a bit more gnar than most resorts. They had a few other stunts that were pretty progressive as well, I suspect some of that has been toned down. It's not really clear weather insurance became a real issue or if the concern over insurance issues slowed them down. Winter sports are extremely dangerous, bones get broke all the time on low-angle groomed runs, there's nothing special about the risk related to mountain bikes.

Talentless Hack
    I think in relation to skiing it is related to rider number per day. A lot more skiers in general than riders at this time. I think Err is right, the Canyons and PCMR could really draw in a number of riders from around the country who don't want to travel to Canuckistan but still want to have a down hill experiance. PC is also really family friendly so in theory a guy could bring his ol'lady and the posse of kids, do some family riding and get in a day of downhilling. Maybe it is one of those, if you build it they will come kind of things.

How much downhill is the B?
    Sierra Club Sucks

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    One of the guys who came down from Canadia (Duncan) to help out with the Women's Dirt Series Camp a few weekends back owns and runs a trail building business up there.

On the toneing down theme, he's been hired to 'rebuild' a number of trails in and around Squamish to make them a bit more user friendly and more natural to the terrain (his company doesn't use hiked in man-made materials-so no wooden jumps, skinnies or berms supported by 2x6's or whatever and the focus is on flow and sustainability of the trails).

Granted, these weren't part of any lift accessed resort but seems to support some of feelings towards taking something that maybe only a small percentage of mountain bikers can (or even dare to) ride and making them more accessible to the general public-not just here, but also in Canadia land.

I know a few guys who post on this forum are eager stunt and trail builders here and we all recall the Bobsled BS that went on last year. I would venture to speculate that if perhaps you built stunts that were a bit more 'user friendly' so to speak, it wouldn't be so upsetting to those who feel they would rather have nothing than some jump that scares them. Meaning, table tops instead of doubles (car gaps excluded) and things like that, where the risk of failure or coming up short doesn't necessarily mean a trip to the ER. Plus, it may reduce liability in the eyes of those who may own or manage the property this stuff is being built (and it's a lot harder to tear down a table top, step up or down than it is the lip of a double jump). And as much as I like wooden jumps and berms personally, I can see how they would be considered an eye sore by some and cause some controversy.

Anyway....

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Funny you guys should bring up the "toned" down style but still fun for everyone. We're working hard on the new trail going in up on Parleys right now to make it just that. Fun for beginners but engaging enough for experts. It's a real challenge to build trails like that but well worth it.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1

How much downhill is the B?
    If you're refering to the Bountiful B, it's all DH. I tried once with mr. welcorn to get all Mark Weir and pedal to the top and that is zero fun.
    IMO, with the exception of Stupid Sh!t (I think that's what it was called), which parts of that trail just made me really nervous, everything I've ridden up there, including all of the additions and changes to the Bomber, just flow and work out really well. The hip jumps on middle Bruce's are super fun with little consequence for screwing up. There are a couple of gap jumps a bit lower but the take offs and landings are rather small and you have a wide area to bail in the weeds if need be.
    Besides a couple of short sections coming off the road and the occasional moto damage, there is little to no errosion.
    I think the only drawback to the B is that it gets really hot early in the year and stays that way until Fall.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Funny you guys should bring up the "toned" down style but still fun for everyone. We're working hard on the new trail going in up on Parleys right now to make it just that. Fun for beginners but engaging enough for experts. It's a real challenge to build trails like that but well worth it.
    I would imagine it takes a lot more work to build up a table top as compared to a double jump. But I think that something along those lines would be less likely to be torn down for whatever reason.

If you put yourself (or try to) in the mindset of Joe Schmo XC rider or someone wanting to jump and try to increase their skills in that dept. some of the new jumps on the lower section of Bobsled would probably freak you out. Just coming around that last big right hander around the tree (assuming you've carried enough momentum to get that high) and looking straight down the trail at the first car gap, followed by the second and everything else in that area it's quite a spectacle to take in and is probably very intimidating for a lot of people even though there are adequate go-arounds on the old school, burned in line.

Members who have read this thread: 0