mtbr member

dec 14-Shoreline's rideable

For the 3 of you on this board-
    Shoreline's packed down and has great traction from the zoo to bobsled.

Layed down frash tracks on Sled.Very fun.Inversion just blew out so go ride.

Krispy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

So you're saying...

There's no snow?

Not that I mind riding on the white stuff.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Um,no-i wish!
    Packed down snow.
    no tracks into Sled till i put some in!

The snow is super hard though.It is really good traction.I only had to get off and push the steeper parts.

mtbr member

dec 21

Hey it warmed up!
    All the new snow allready melted and Shorelines clear of snow but muddy.
    Went on a night ride and it was almost cold enough for the mud to freeze.If it was frozen it would have been perfect,but it was wet enough to get my bike dirty but i was clean.Left tracks but not grooves.Hey,it's ridin!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

U of U BST

Anybody ridden BST since the rain yest? Just wondering what its like?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just thought I'd throw this out -- Lambert Park is in good shape. Rode it this morning -- get on it before things thaw and most of it was clean and clear of snow. For those of you who haven't ridden it, great singletrack down in Alpine. You can get directions from utahmountainbiking.com

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    What's BST?

I'll have to check out Alpine,sounds cool.

Dec 23-it rained overnight a lot and i thought for sure it would be muddy again but i like to get my dog out for a run even if there's only a little bit of trail dry,so i went anyway...

Shoreline was in absolutely perfect condition! Pleasantly suprised with frozen ground-not 1 spec of mud on my bike. Funny thing was the temps were in the upper 30's...cold wind must have frozen the ground. (9pm)There were a bunch of ice patches in Dry Creek and that was tough up and down.

Some people must think how silly it is that i get excited about Shoeline,but it dries out so fast and if it's snowy there are so many people that pack it down on foot that by the end of the day it's rideable.
    I also just got a NR HID light so any trail's fun at night.Even the plain ones i've ridded 1000 tomes.
    I push up to What i call Trail of Tears,which is a hiking trail right up from the hospital.There is a way gnarly rock ridge coming down tha it trials like.

Let's make this the winter riding thread,info on trails would be great! I'll keep updating Shoreline if anyone is interested.
    Later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Rode Shoreline (Emigration to the bottom of the steep ~100 yard climb and back) yesterday morning. It didn't get quite cold enough and I picked up a fair amount of mud. With freezing temps the trail is great, otherwise it's still a bit sloppy. NOTE--Lambert Park is likely the same -- good when frozen as I had it, or sloppy when not frozen.

Anyone been out to Stansbury Island yet? Thinking of hitting it this Friday.

mtbr member

No way, Shoreline should be treasured!

Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com
    Some people must think how silly it is that i get excited about Shoeline...Let's make this the winter riding thread,info on trails would be great! I'll keep updating Shoreline if anyone is interested.
    Later.
    As someone who used to live in SLC and rode Shoreline a lot it drives me crazy to hear people bag on it? Like they're too cool for it or something?!? I think it's pretty cool that you're into it, I know I was.

I just dropped in here to see what was going on. I'm surprised that the Utah-mtbr forum doesn't pick up the pace a little. I live in NorCal now and the NorCal forum is a haven for the scene here. I guess Utah guys are just more reclusive and off doing their own thing - in a good way

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    As someone who used to live in SLC and rode Shoreline a lot it drives me crazy to hear people bag on it? Like they're too cool for it or something?!?
    I wouldn't say we're too cool for it, but we do get spoiled with the other trails close by that in my opinion are more enjoyable. Similarly, the last few years I've been so spoiled with great snow that I'm reluctant to go boarding unless there's been at least a few inches of fresh pow-pow. Yeah, my life is just so hard...

I'll keep updating Shoreline if anyone is interested
    I'd love to hear any updates. Has anyone been riding since the last few snowstorms? How's it been?

mtbr member

Snow-

[QUOTE=slcmtb]I wouldn't say we're too cool for it, but we do get spoiled with the other trails close by that in my opinion are more enjoyable. Similarly, the last few years I've been so spoiled with great snow that I'm reluctant to go boarding unless there's been at least a few inches of fresh pow-pow. Yeah, my life is just so hard...

Don't get me wrong, snow conditions are an entirely different conversation. I'm as big of a snow snob as I know

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Shoreline Snobs?

I live close enough to Hogle Zoo that I can ride from home to the BST trailhead on a regular basis. A couple of friends and I have been riding it about once a week all winter long on our 29ers. It may not be the most exciting trail around, but I like it quite a bit and ride it at least once a week during the summer (usually from my house to City Creek Canyon and then on the trail over to Hogle Zoo and home). Anytime you'd like to ride it with company, let me know and I'll round em up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Soylent Green,

How are current conditions on the Shoreline? I need somewhere to ride this Saturday and would like to be off road. I'm an unenlightened 26er, but always enjoy a good ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    Soylent Green,

How are current conditions on the Shoreline? I need somewhere to ride this Saturday and would like to be off road. I'm an unenlightened 26er, but always enjoy a good ride.
    Ed, why don't you do the Hog w/ me and Tom? We could then spin our way home just to get some more time in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    Soylent Green,

The Shoreline is really sloppy right now. The Hog may be a more enjoyable option this weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For the last couple weeks, it's been dry, but pretty cold. How are the conditions of shoreline right now? Which sections are most rideable?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

BST Conditions

So over the weekend I was itchin for a ride. From the view from my bedroom window it appeared as if the BST was dry and beggin' to be ridden. I rode from my house to Red Butte Garden and then North on the BST to the mouth of Dry Creek and the trail was dry and nice. Dry Creek was snowbound and very slick so I jumped back on the road and rode down to 11th avenue and up to the top of the Avenues at the top of City Creek Canyon. Everything on the north facing slopes was either muddy or frozen and the combination made for a tough climb. I went just a little ways past the top of the Bobsled trail, got tired of the hard snowpack and turned around. Everything that was on a South-facing slope was decent, but everything else was very wet. We need a little bit of warm weather to get rid of some of that snow.

Today, I thought I'd try something different and rode Stansbury Island. It was my first time on that trail. The first mile was covered in about 6" of hard packed snow and couldn't be ridden. Once you reached the summit, the rest of the ride was pretty decent. Not something I would do in the summer, but not bad when you are desperate...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

BST Trail Conditions

Just got back from a muddy ride on the BST. I rode from City Creek Canyon on the BST over to Dry Creek and down. The trail was either snow covered or very muddy. The snow was actually much easier to ride in than the mud. I'd say that we need another week of dry, warm weather before it's much fun...

mtbr member

Don't Trash the Trail!

Keep in mind that those "fresh tracks" (read: ruts) that you're laying down in the mud right now will transform into rock-hard rain gutters in another couple of weeks. As we get more run off, the rain gutters will erode into trenches that will be with us for the rest of the season. Doesn't it make sense to wait until the dirt dries out a bit more so that we don't trash the trail before the real riding season even starts? Plus, mud in your drivetrain is like dumping grinding compound in your gears. Your bike hates it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    re read the post, the "fresh tracks" were in snow.
    It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose!

mtbr member

Mud

Quote Originally Posted by tronspecial
    re read the post, the "fresh tracks" were in snow.
    You missed my point. I was actually more concerned about the repeated use of the word "mud" in many of the above posts. Mud implies soft trail conditions, therefore a high likelihood of leaving damaging tracks and tire ruts in the trail surface.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    When conditions are like this I'm just riding the hard stuff and walking the mud.

mtbr member
    3/5/06 Sittin on the couch at 9 30 pm and the weather man is saying how it's still 50 degrees and how there are storms coming.He actually said "you've been warned".So i took the cue and brewed up a pot of coffee and hit the trail by 10pm.

BST was actually in pretty good shape today (tonight) Z.oo to Dry Creek was really great,Dry Creek was soft but not quite muddy.I thought i would need to turn around a bunch of times but the trail would firm back up!

Got to the top and it was smooth sailing from there.I actually made it to Bobsled and only my tires were dirty,no real mud.Only enough softness to see your track but not lay a groove in some spots, totally dry in many .Bobsled was mostly good but there was water for that usual 100 foot section where there must be a spring.Went slow on the side there and it was all dry the rest of the way down!!

Of course there is a series of storms blowin in right now so it will probably be no-go for another week at least.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm jealous. Sure sounds like it beat my spin class this morning. Hopefully the storms aren't too bad, because I'd love to do a night ride sometime soon. I did the race down in Saint George this weekend and have been dreaming of riding on dirt ever since!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    As soon as it dries out again after this week of storms, I'll keep my eyes out for a Yeti rider on the BST in the future. Thanks for the trail update.

mtbr member

BST chronicles 3/8

3/8
    Man! BST to bobsled was perfect tonight! 35 degrees in town, just freezing on the trails.Even though we had a dusting 2 days ago it was melted and drying.This night everything was crystalized and very fast. Just a couple of puddles, but icing over.Talked Scotty into finally going out,he dusted off the lights and was super amped by the end of the ride.Von borrowed a new Cateye Triple Shot from a rep and was nuking the 'sled, made me ride over the car with frosty tires and cold feet. It was great to have s couple guys out this time.As usual we saw no one.I've only seen 1 person at night on BST in a year.
    Just 2 hours later the snow fell. Oh well i'll wait another 2 days and be out again.

mtbr member

Appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com
    3/8
    Man! BST to bobsled was perfect tonight! 35 degrees in town, just freezing on the trails.Even though we had a dusting 2 days ago it was melted and drying.This night everything was crystalized and very fast. Just a couple of puddles, but icing over.Talked Scotty into finally going out,he dusted off the lights and was super amped by the end of the ride.Von borrowed a new Cateye Triple Shot from a rep and was nuking the 'sled, made me ride over the car with frosty tires and cold feet. It was great to have s couple guys out this time.As usual we saw no one.I've only seen 1 person at night on BST in a year.
    Just 2 hours later the snow fell. Oh well i'll wait another 2 days and be out again.

Man, that's great stuff. It's clear how much you appreciate that kind of ride and I can appreciate that. Very cool indeed

mtbr member

Black Diamond Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by slcmtb
    I'm jealous. Sure sounds like it beat my spin class this morning. Hopefully the storms aren't too bad, because I'd love to do a night ride sometime soon. I did the race down in Saint George this weekend and have been dreaming of riding on dirt ever since!
    We ride every wednesday night,Lights on until the time change.

The Go-Ride crew has a group ride we jokingly call black diamond wednesday.We try to do a little climbing to a fun descent or something.It's nice to count on a ride right when i get bogged down in the middle of the week.In the late spring we usually ride our secret trail in Parleys Canyon called Moose Hollow.Parleys summit,30 min climb to the towers to a bushwacky 45 min descent over logs,rocks and creekbeds ajoined by game trail we've improved.We end up behind/below the golf course.Till that dries out it will probably be just bobsled or Waynes World on Red Butte, or I street jumps.

Come along fellas...Bring your sense of adventure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the invite. I'm pretty familiar with the trails around the BST, but haven't heard anyone refer to on as Wayne's World. Is that a section of the BST or something totally different?

mtbr member
    Wayne is a friend of mine who sorta pioneered this ride.

1 ridgeline south of Dry Creek there is a steep hiking trail that goes up to the top of the mountain. It's a calf burning 30 minute push.The trail takes you to the next ridge south and this is basically a rock spine.From there it's pretty much a 500 foot downhill trials course to some straight-down-the-ridge- singletrack.The rock spine has multiple lines and lots of places to get hurt.It's kinda silly but can be really fun! I wouldn't go up there in the dark though.

If you look around there are lots of hiking trails that are acessable if yer willing to hike up. I used to hike my DH bike all over the place there in the springtime. Now with long travel trail bikes and whatnot i can ride a lot of ups to acess the trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'll definitely check it out this spring when I'm riding in the area. It sounds like a place where I'd definitely get hurt. DH trials riding is pretty much the opposite of what I typically ride now that I'm mainly riding a rigid 29er...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Bst

Anybody ridden BST behind the U and in Draper in the past 2 days? Wondering how muddy it may be. Just go back from 2 1/2 wks in Asia so haven't ridden in a while.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Ridable??

Anybody ridden the BST in past few days? Just wondering if its too muddy to ride, or drying out.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I tried to ride it today and there is more snow on it now than at any time this year. There's 10" between the top of Bobsled and Dry Creek. It's going to be awhile before it's worthwhile.
    Soylent Green

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

5-Mile Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Soylent Green
    I tried to ride it today and there is more snow on it now than at any time this year. There's 10" between the top of Bobsled and Dry Creek. It's going to be awhile before it's worthwhile.
    Like I was telling qtip earlier today, 5-mile pass is not that bad of an alternative this time of year.

After 2-3 sunny days, it's rideable. But any sooner and the dirt is like clay and glue.

You'll run into the occasional atv-er or the motocrosser but you can usually hear them well before...

Lots of trails and lots of variations there. Decent road riding there too - you're away from the smog - oops, inversion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Corner Canyon

Rode Corner Canyon this morning. Just up the road a bit and then on the Shoreline Trail. A little soggy in spots but overall in good shape considering the weather we've been having.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    april 3 BST is absolutely perfect!

I street is great too.

uh oh it's starting to rain... boo

Members who have read this thread: 0