Daylight Savings Time in Utah- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Daylight Savings Time in Utah

So, apparently Rep. Lee Perry is sponsoring House Bill 178 that could potentially end Daylight Savings Time in Utah. This would put a huge dent in mid-week rides. Does anyone know anything else about this? If this bill passes I think I will lose my mind...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I would support this... still 24 hours in a day with or without daylight savings. In the summer I'm more likely to ride at 5 AM than 5 PM. Either way, night lights aren't that expensive.

mtbr member
    I'm with OP. While I can get up (and do) for a ride at 5 a.m. or earlier, I have time constraints of getting to work and dealing with rush hour traffic, so a ride would be limited to 2 hours or so. AFTER work, I can ride for 4-5 hours...no lights needed, and a pretty flexible (i.e. no stress) time getting home.

Never mind it would put us out of step with the rest of the country (except AZ).
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    I'm with OP. While I can get up (and do) for a ride at 5 a.m. or earlier, I have time constraints of getting to work and dealing with rush hour traffic, so a ride would be limited to 2 hours or so. AFTER work, I can ride for 4-5 hours...no lights needed, and a pretty flexible (i.e. no stress) time getting home.

Never mind it would put us out of step with the rest of the country (except AZ).
    I swear this comes up every year. I would hate it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    sweet, 4:30am rides! Nobody out there

mtbr member
    Daylight Savings Time is cutting the end off a blanket and sewing it on the other and calling yourself clever.

When I lived in AZ it was great. I was in Flagstaff but people in the deserts areas have the best deal since at 5am it's bearable to ride year round but 5pm it can be scorching.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I'd rather going for an evening sunset ride that get my a$$ up at the crack of dawn. Either way I don't have to fight any crowds. I just prefer a nice prolonged evening to relax, especially when camping. I vote for keeping daylight savings!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    the problem is the hottest part of the day is 6-6:30pm out here, it's brutal (and crowded as a MF). Mornings are epic

mtbr member
    I agree with heat of the day rides being better early in the a.m., and if I lived in AZ I'd probably prefer standard time also. Since I live and work in the SL valley, a morning ride ends up being something like shoreline. With 4-5 hours of daylight after work, a "hottest part of the day ride" (6:00 p.m.) is generally spent in Park City, etc. where it's cool. Cut an hour off daylight in the evening and cruising up to the high country after work loses some of it's appeal.

We all have our favorite times to ride, for sure. I just think for the average outdoor recreationalist, having sunset move from 9 p.m or so to 8 will be a bigger loss than the gain of having sunrise go from 6 a.m. to 5 a.m.

FWIW.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    Daylight Savings Time is cutting the end off a blanket and sewing it on the other and calling yourself clever.

When I lived in AZ it was great. I was in Flagstaff but people in the deserts areas have the best deal since at 5am it's bearable to ride year round but 5pm it can be scorching.
    Terrible analogy. It's more like having the blanket over your face suffocating while your feet freeze. Simply pull the blanket down over your feet and off your face. All better.

I would not trade my hour of sunlight after work for an hour of it before work. I never have and never will get up that early. Simply wasted daylight.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    This legislation is a crock of shit. This time of year I'm dying for daylight savings to get here to allow for more time to ride after work. Nothing against riding early, I'm typically pedaling in PC Saturday or Sunday by 630-7am in the summer to avoid crowds and get home for family time. Those rides arent feasable before work when you have to factor in getting cleaned up and driving. I love the long after work rides up there though. So nice to get off at 5, run up to PCMR and have 4 hours to ride.

As a dad, it really pisses me off. Think back to when you were a kid and how great it was getting to stay out til the streetlights came on. Bump that up an hour and your effectively robbing an hour of outside time from kids that don't get outside enough as is. Spring and fall after school it may not leave any outside time at all.

If this passes I'll honestly start looking at moving to Grand Junction and find a good blackout shade company to invest in. Should be big business once everyone realizes that dawn at 4:30 isnt such a great thing.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Your Best Friend
    I love after work and evening rides. I work at 6 am so having more light earlier does me zero good. When it switches over to daylight savings is my favorite time of year.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I guess in July/August I just need to get used to driving to much higher elevations after work, as I usually end up waiting until 9 pm for it to start cooling a little. Then I have the same problem as early morning rides, where there's just not enough time to get the miles. Even temps in the 80s are just too damn hot for me to enjoy physical exertion.

But I do agree that Apr-Jun and Sept-Oct are better with the extra hour after work. So I take back what I said... Daylight Savings FTW!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Not that it matters here ... but I'm with the crew that likes post-work time more than pre-work time. Can't drink a beer after a morning ride. ( well....you can....but much less inviting ) I also like going and knowing I don't have anything on the other end except getting home before dark. (vs. that meeting that I can't miss .... what if I get a flat, or break down... )

hottest time, I'll do a morning ride but don't need a change to DST for that.