CX on white rim- Mtbr.com

Thread: CX on white rim

mtbr member

CX on white rim

I'm doing the white rim in a couple of weeks and I'm toying with the idea of taking my "other 29er" which is a surly cross-check running 700x32 knobbies.

I think it would be fast and fun for the majority of the trail....my only reservation is I don't want to be changing pinch flats the whole time.

Anyone try something like this?

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I'm doing the white rim in a couple of weeks and I'm toying with the idea of taking my "other 29er" which is a surly cross-check running 700x32 knobbies.

I think it would be fast and fun for the majority of the trail....my only reservation is I don't want to be changing pinch flats the whole time.

Have you ridden the trail before? Personally, I'd recommend against a CX bike.

There are loose and sandy stretches that would be tough with skinny tires and there isn't much smooth dirt. A "real" 29er MTB would be the best in my opinion.

I guess part of the equation would be how far you are travelling per day. My cyclocross bike wouldn't be smooth enough for me to do much faster than a 3 day pace.

Then again, I advised people not to singlespeed the E100 and many did it and were fine. I think a CX bike would at least increase the challenge level, not make things easier. It depends on what you're looking for.

If you do the ride on a CX bike, post your experience afterward please. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Not Recommended.

My White Rim experience is an annual trip (4 yrs) with a strong group of riders. We ride it in a day and it's fun enough that I keep doing it. I've done it self supported as well as with a water drop, both directions. I ride a CX bike for training and commuting. If you are doing it in a day a CX bike would be way to painfull (for me). The trail is sandy in many places and bumpy in many places (especially Schafer side). I ride my Racer X with Ritchey Speed Max tires. A 29'er FS, XC race rig would be teh bomb. For me, nutrition, hydration, pace and attitude are key to enjoying teh ride. It is a pretty easy ride, but a long day. Remember to start early and look up, the scenery is awesome!

mtbr member
    My only time on the White Rim was in Feb 2006. We did it in a day and I was on my Moots YBB 29er w/ a 100mm Reba suspension fork. I also used pretty heavy meaty tires (29x2.3 Exiwolfs) because I didn't want to pinch. I think the big tires and tall suspension was too much for that ride. I'm going back in a month and a half and I'm planning on using skinnier lighter tires (29x2.1 Nanoraptors) and I might do it rigid. If you report back that you do it on your CX and it went well I might throw some 700x44 Mutanoraptors on.

I read a ride report a few years ago of a guy on the SS board doing it on his fixed gear CX. If I remember correctly it was a good trip. He encountered some mud so the CX tires were actually a good thing.

I'd say give it a shot of the CX.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Holy Resurrected Thread Batman!

I'm thinking of doing this on a gravel bike with 1.9" tubeless tires. I think the low pressure will dampen vibrations and the 1.9 should be wide enough to handle the sandy sections. I'm curious if you tried it on your CX. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jro75 View Post

I didn't ride it, but I just got back from there. The road looks to be in pretty decent shape at the moment. I think I could do it on my 38mm tires.

I did Shaeffer road (from which White Rim is spawned) a few years ago. The main problem for me was the steepness for the first few miles. You do have to choose your line. We encountered a 4WD with a destroyed tire from hitting a rock.

I did a lot of riding this time on a rigid (no suspension) fat-tire bike; I think it would be ideal for the White Rim road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsoltys View Post
    Holy Resurrected Thread Batman!
    Shi'ite. I looked at the Month and Day but not the year. ops:

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Fastest bike on White Rim is still a full-suspension mountain bike. 5 hours 45 minutes.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/270109

mtbr member
    CX on white rim-mcr-9-rdo-1000x577jpg-bike-white.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MCR-9-RDO-1000x577jpg-bike-on-white.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	1246699
    Holy 1990 Batman! That looks like a bike Tomac would have ridden.

A Moots Psychlo-X YBB would work pretty well on White Rim. Or a new Specialized Roubaix which now has a hydraulic damper in the fork. They hide it, so the purists won't have a conniption. I laughed when I saw the damper adjustment where the stem cap would normally be, just exactly like my 1992 Cannondale Headshok. Almost nothing is new in the bike world, it just keeps being refined and re-issued.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...oubaix-review/

Members who have read this thread: 11